Menu

What are you buying your teen for Christmas?

AimeeM

I think I ask this every year. She loves Marvel, Harry Potter, The Walking Dead, Percy Jackson, and anything related to Mythology.

Honestly, though, I can't think of anything else to get her along those lines. She has a Dr. Who lamp and a Dr. Who fuzzy blanket, we have all of the HP books and DVDs; she has HP robes and wands. She has Camp Halfblood hoodies and she has charm bracelets. These are things we've bought her for past Christmases. 

She already has subscriptions to Birch Box and Ipsy (she loves make-up).

I'm not thinking "outside the box" enough, I'm sure. What are you getting your teenager for Christmas?

My kids didn't have a real list this year.  It was random and the more we talked, the more I realized they didn't really care about the list.  I scored on some Beats wireless headphones at Target the other day at 60% off.  Got each one.  Otherwise, I tried to find stuff that was unique/they aren't expecting or can guess/personal.  So dd is getting knitted arm warmers(she makes hers out of old socks), a t-shirt she wanted, and a purse(b/c she needs one).  Ds is getting a magazine subscription, a soldering kit I hope he likes, and a tool kit for computers b/c he's building his own this next year.  

Stocking will be coffee, food,  and music gift cards with their favorite candy choices.  

Mine puts old computers together for fun.  He'll often have very specific ones he wants and so he asked for money to buy the parts of a particular one.  I was a little sad because no surprises, but then at this point I'm done shopping for him for x-mas so that's one thing less I have to worry about.

I made him promise to get super excited as the various parts started to arrive.  He is waiting for the last part now, a motherboard, and he is so excited he said he can't sleep.  LOL

Ds 18 is getting a set of new snowboard boots. Ds 16 is getting a new laptop because his is very old and hardly runs sketch up and other engineering programs he uses. The 20 year old college student is getting Sibelius composer's software. He is writing a lot of music some of which maybe published and the freeware music notation program he has is simply not robust enough for what he is doing.

I got both of mine Gamestop gift cards for the new Nintendo system that is coming out early next year.

DS wants 2 specific books and couple board games(power grid,Agricola)

DD wants Vinyl for her record player and specific yarn for her crochet.

My mom gave me money to buy them clothes so some clothes from hot topic.

They have various things on their Amazon wish lists that I know the extended family will likely buy.

Oh, I forgot to include suggestions:

Since your girl likes subscription boxes, I'd look into Owlcrate, LitCube, or one of the many other book & book-inspired-stuff boxes.

How about a really nice make-up palette (something nicer than the ipsy/birchbox variety).  If you don't know what her preferences are, a Sephora gift card is always a welcome treat for make-up lovers.  

Does she like art?  Maybe a light board/box would be fun.

Edited by Plink

Have you heard of Fortune Cookie Soap? They make small seasonal bath and body collections, usually with a pop culture theme. They have a seasonal soap box subscription or you can order specific products. They have some Harry Potter inspired things from a previous collection. They've also done Dr Who, Princess Bride, etc. This is my referral link, you can get 10% off your first order with it (anyone can use this!)

http://i.refs.cc/ZWPRQV4D

Edited by wonderchica

We are crazy broke but DS 15 is getting a bike (thanks to grandpa), DD 13 is getting a new camera (again, thanks to grandpa), DSD 16 is getting a new phone (did I mention how grateful we are to Grandpa), and DN 15 is getting shoes (stupidly expensive shoes).  The only one I'm not sure of is DD 19... probably something to do with cats.  I'm also going to paint and decoupage keepsake boxes for all the girls.

...She loves Marvel, Harry Potter, The Walking Dead, Percy Jackson, and anything related to Mythology.

Is she still studying Latin?  When my daughter was a teen, we bought her:

Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis  and Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum  both by J. K. Rowling and translated by Peter Needham

We also purchased Hobbitus Ille: The Latin Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien and Mark Walker

Regards,

Kareni

No idea.  They get what they need during the year and sometimes even what they want.

Last year oldest got an expensive laptop, but he was starting college and needed it.

I am sure middle son would love a car.  He just got his license and a new job, but we plan to get a "family car" and he can drive it as long as we allow it and as long as he lives at home.  So, no car specifically for him yet.

They need little things, like socks and underwear, and since it is around Christmas, they will get those to open, although I don't really consider those gifts.

Maybe shoes and other clothing items.

I told them to get a list together and they haven't, so......who knows.  They haven't made a list so I am not buying yet.

Megster is getting the Marrisa Meyers' Lunar Chronicles boxed set and a few other books. A couple of animal rescue/vet DS games. She loves mosaics and other arts and crafts, so a few of those. Breyer Wild Blue book and horse set. Isa Does It, Vegan cookbook. A couple of board/card games. I started her a subscription to Fortune Cookie Soap box, a quarterly subscription for 20. The theme for Winter is Narnia. :-) A couple of sock it to me socks. Chocolate sunflower seeds and Reeses. A Popcorn Factory snack set  and a purse and wallet. A couple of gift cards.

She has an Ipsy sub, OwlCrate, Litjoy, Boodle Box and IBBeautiful.

IBBeautiful is the best. Every month is a positive theme and you can get a tee included.

She pays for two out of her allowance.

Mine are getting an old (1962) board game they all love playing.  (Wide World - specifically the 1962 version)  Whenever they come home from college - even with friends - they pull it out to play it, and their friends all love it too as it has some fun twists in it.  It's age adds to the fun as we look at country stats from back then.

Anyway, I figured with that kind of love it was worth it setting up a search on E-bay and getting one for each of them while they can still be found.  The first one I bought was literally like new (SCORE!).  The second one just came in.  It's still wrapped on my table waiting for me to open it today and hubby and I will play it to be sure everything is there.  Then I need one more - hopefully in as good condition...

Otherwise, we'll fill stockings with candy, gift cards, & school supplies.  

Santa will likely bring them gift certificates to a local Laser Tag place.

We've never been a multiple gift (per person) family.  It's one gift per person, so Christmas isn't all that difficult here.  The games have run about $45 each (including shipping).  That's in our usual range of what we try to spend.  Their stockings will cost more, but I equate that to a care package for school.

• Like 2