Menu

Talk to me about Massachusetts

ktgrok

I know it's not MUCH farther north, but Vermont just may be too far north for me. (says the girl googling Canada). 

Which as more sun, Boston/Southern NH or Vermont? I don't need warmth, just sunshine. 

Google says Boston gets 200 sunny days a year and Burlington, Vt (which is up there, Vt is largely south of Bton) gets 159.

Boston is windy.

I know it's not MUCH farther north, but Vermont just may be too far north for me. (says the girl googling Canada). 

Which as more sun, Boston/Southern NH or Vermont? I don't need warmth, just sunshine. 

I think a lot depends on where you live, but central Vermont (where I live) feels sunnier than RI or Boston. I haven't lived/worked in NH, but have in the other two. Also, I know I'm opening myself up to being mocked, as all of my family likes to do, but the cold up here is a dry cold. It's not humid in the winter here. In RI and SE Mass, the cold is damp and feels like it goes right into your bones. Here, yes, it's cold in the winter, but as soon as you go inside, you warm right up. I have never felt like I needed to take a long hot shower just to get warm. 

If you're planning on moving to a more northern climate from FL, it'll be a shift for sure. We have gorgeous summers in New England and where I live, it regularly cools down into the 50's at night and then up to the low 80's during the days. Great sleeping and not too gross at night. The trade off is winter is cold. So we bundle up and grump about the cold en masse. :-) 

• Like 2

Do be aware, since you mention sun, that winter light up here is very different (weaker) than in Florida. I was surprised after spending a week in Fl in Feb, that I fell into a major funk upon returning. It was definitely light related, like my body went into withdrawal after overdosing down there.

That's not to worry you; but it might be something to consider if sunshine is important to you. We may have sun, but it won't be what you are used to (and of course the days are short. Twilight at 3:30, dark an hour later where we are a couple hours up the coast from Boston).

• Like 1

Do be aware, since you mention sun, that winter light up here is very different (weaker) than in Florida. I was surprised after spending a week in Fl in Feb, that I fell into a major funk upon returning. It was definitely light related, like my body went into withdrawal after overdosing down there.

That's not to worry you; but it might be something to consider if sunshine is important to you. We may have sun, but it won't be what you are used to (and of course the days are short. Twilight at 3:30, dark an hour later where we are a couple hours up the coast from Boston).

Yeah, that can be tough. It's been really noticeable this past week since we switched the clocks. On the flip side, the sun is out until almost 9 in the summer!

• Like 1

I already told my husband we'd need to get a light box for me. And I will be able to come visit Florida to see family, so there is that. But yes, that's an issue. 

On the flip side, you stay lighter longer in the summer, right? Need to figure a way to store that stuff up, lol. 

• Like 2

If you're not near the coast, it's not so windy or humid. It's less about NH vs MA than that. Portsmouth isn't going to have weather much different than the North Shore, and Nashua doesn't have weather much different than the towns bordering it in Massachusetts.

We looked into moving to Burlington VT at one point. Our biggest worry was that while there may be some tech jobs up there, there's a *lot* less than here, and we figured if dh had to switch jobs we probably have to move, whereas here we've never had to move even when he's had to move jobs. It's also a *lot* further north even than here... :P

• Like 2

I'll just chime in to agree that it's very expensive to live within commuting distance to Boston. We lived in Wrentham (southwest) and made over $100,000 when we sold on our house after only 1.5 years because the line of affordability just keeps growing outwards. Someone mentioned the 128 belt; you really need to be outside the 495 belt, IMO, to find something. Make sure to factor in the cost of the train as well as daily parking in the lots. Also, if your dh plans on taking the train during flex hours (going in later) when we lived there the lots would fill up. My dh always went in early so he'd be assured a spot. This may have changed--maybe they have expanded the lots--we've been gone 15 years.

OTOH, it was a really nice place to live. Boston is great. Cape Cod is close by. The mountains of NH and VT aren't far either. New England is an awesome place in which to live :)

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 1

I already told my husband we'd need to get a light box for me. And I will be able to come visit Florida to see family, so there is that. But yes, that's an issue.

On the flip side, you stay lighter longer in the summer, right? Need to figure a way to store that stuff up, lol.

Oh yeah, long summer days for sure. Where we are it's light at 4:30 am in summer. :)

If you'll have any in public school, New England kids get a ski vacation week in February, the perfect time to go to Florida. :)

Thanks, I was looking for blue hyperlinks, so I missed them the first time.

Just an FYI - Western MA Homeschoolers has a statement of faith so, not secular.

None of those are Western MA? I don't even know that group, as I'm not in that part of the state. I also don't do statements of faith, so I'm not even very familiar with groups that require them. MHLA (the group associated with the masshomelearningassoc list) and AHEM are the two biggest secular hsing advocacy groups in the state. As far as I know, the third, MAhomeschoolers, is just an email list, not a group per se?

My husband has talked about Boston a lot, and for various reasons we are actually at a place of considering moving. Out of the country is one option, but if we don't do that Boston area is also on the table. He's in Cybersecurity and it's a tech hub, from what he says. 

I'm going to freeze wherever we go, lol, so I've about given up on the weather. And there is so much I dislike about Orlando, that I'm realizing the trade off for cold versus this city may be worth it. 

What's the homeschool climate like. Obviously there are a ton of field trip opportunities. 

Is it possible to live slightly outside the city proper, and commute in by train? I'm wondering if we could go down to one car if we lived somewhere that actually had real public transportation. 

I hear it's a non religious state, which my secular husband would like, but one of the most Catholic states, which I would like. 

Cost of living is supposed to be very high, but I hear salaries may adjust for that. 

Any other factors I'm missing? We are pretty darned far left on the political scheme, and well, that is an influence as well. 

My husband LOVES urban areas, and loved Boston when he visited. LOVED. I like more suburbia, or at least access to green spaces, and we have two large dogs, and two cats and soon to be 4 kids, so apartment living in the actual city sounds...difficult. But I do love museums, parks, churches, etc. And communities. Not many real communities here anymore. Just gated off enclaves. 

I've lived in CT and now in NY.  Mass isn't exactly the same, but the areas are similar.  Weather sucks, cost of living is high, salaries don't quite make up for it, isn't super religious and yes you'll have more company as a Catholic.  Can't say what the homeschool climate is like. 

Despite all that, I would move there no problem.  It's the kind of place I'm used to.  I know I'd feel perfectly at home there.  We visit often because we are not that far.  It's actually further for us to travel to NYC than many places in Mass.

• Like 1

(re) Moved to Boston (Brighton - 02135).  This summer we bought a 3BR/2.5 bath condo/townhome (~1500sq ft) that was built in the late 1980s for 600K (for a family of six). No yard, no garage, just a parking space (uncovered).  In other words, it's expensive.  Most of the housing stock in urban Boston is close to or over 100 years old and if it hasn't be updated, in addition to upgrades in kitchen and bath, you might have to invest in a new roof, electrical, plumbing, etc.  Watch This Old House and you will get the drift.

Single family houses in my neighborhood are few and far between.  Chinese investors come and buy for over asking price in cash.  Out in the suburbs you can get more land and a bigger house but it isn't necessarily cheaper until you go outside the 495 loop.

We love Boston - it's a big-little city and has a big ego to go along with it

ETA:  Just went on Zillow and found a house I looked to buy last year.  Someone bought it for 680K and is flipping it at 1.7M.  It had a toilet in the basement in the corner up on a little pedestal right out in the open.  So classically Boston!  http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Boston-MA-02135/pmf,pf_pt/59090491_zpid/58649_rid/3-_beds/globalrelevanceex_sort/42.378202,-71.109224,42.325364,-71.196771_rect/13_zm/

Edited by YaelAldrich

If I were making a random move, I'd look at Raleigh Durham. It's allegedly beautiful (I've never actually been outside the airport), nice climate with actual seasons, close to airports/mountains/ocean etc., much cheaper than the Northeast from what I understand, growing economy...

Before the last year or two, I'd say yes, it was at the top of our list. However, without getting too political, north carolina isn't high on my list right now. But I do have friends in that area. Friends very very frustrated with their state currently. 

• Like 1

None of those are Western MA? I don't even know that group, as I'm not in that part of the state. I also don't do statements of faith, so I'm not even very familiar with groups that require them. MHLA (the group associated with the masshomelearningassoc list) and AHEM are the two biggest secular hsing advocacy groups in the state. As far as I know, the third, MAhomeschoolers, is just an email list, not a group per se?

Ah, sorry. I quickly cut/paste it into my browser and it sent me to the Western MA Homeschoolers page. :-/

Ah, sorry. I quickly cut/paste it into my browser and it sent me to the Western MA Homeschoolers page. :-/

Oh, sorry, those are all yahoo groups, not websites. MHLA and AHEM do both have websites as well, but they have general info about hsing in MA, the lists are where people ask questions and post info about upcoming events.

If I were making a random move, I'd look at Raleigh Durham. It's allegedly beautiful (I've never actually been outside the airport), nice climate with actual seasons, close to airports/mountains/ocean etc., much cheaper than the Northeast from what I understand, growing economy...

and a not so fun place for liberals who aren't super religious

• Like 1