Menu

Operation Christmas Child box question

Seasider

We are stuffing our boxes today and as I read over the literature, I noticed "no food." I understand the reason for most food items not to be included, but in the past we have always shaken hard candies in to top it off.

Is this a change? Or are hard candies still ok? I figure someone on board here must know!

• Like 1

I can't answer your question but I do have a comment I wanted to make and you reminded me of it.

I saw a YouTube video once showing all the "great" Dollar Store items you can include in a box. Please, please, please, don't do this! Dollar Store toys and craft supplies are almost always inferior. It makes me so sad to think of some poor child getting a toy that immediately breaks.

• Like 10

I can't answer your question but I do have a comment I wanted to make and you reminded me of it.

I saw a YouTube video once showing all the "great" Dollar Store items you can include in a box. Please, please, please, don't do this! Dollar Store toys and craft supplies are almost always inferior. It makes me so sad to think of some poor child getting a toy that immediately breaks.

I learned this one year when ds got a little motorcycle from a dollar store and it broke the same day (I think we had put it in his Easter basket). Funny, though, the little bunny on a bike from the dollar store that was pulling a plastic egg with jelly beans lasted for years lol. I definitely think twice when I look at items there now.

Hard candies should be fine. You needn't worry. Wherever your box goes before it gets shipped to its final destination, volunteers will scan it for appropriate contents. If they determined the candy would not work, they'd take it out BUT as I said, hard candy was never an issue.

• Like 1

It's the last candy year as well as the last toothpaste year. From the link above:

What type of candy is allowed in shoebox gifts?
During 2016 collection, appropriate candy includes hard candy, candy corn, gummy bears, caramels, taffy, gum and Tootsie Rolls. For all of these, make sure that the expiration date is at least six months after National Collection Week. You may not include Hershey Kisses, Snickers bars, or any other chocolate, fruit roll-ups, fruit snacks, or drink mixes such as Kool-Aid. Starting in 2017, no type of candy at all will be allowed in shoebox gifts, due to increasing customs regulations.

Can I include toothpaste in my shoebox?
During 2016 collection, toothpaste is allowed in shoebox gifts as long as the expiration date is at least six months after National Collection Week. Starting in 2017, toothpaste will not be allowed in shoebox gifts, due to increasing customs regulations.

• Like 1

Tangent: I am not a fan of hard candies as my son almost choked to death on one at church when he was four. I never buy them anymore or use them for any purpose. My personal quirk.

Less tangential: when I think about what impoverished children need, our trash American junk candy does not spring to mind. These are largely kids without dental care. Why give them taffy or gummy bears to rot their teeth more quickly?

• Like 1

Tangent: I am not a fan of hard candies as my son almost choked to death on one at church when he was four. I never buy them anymore or use them for any purpose. My personal quirk.

Less tangential: when I think about what impoverished children need, our trash American junk candy does not spring to mind. These are largely kids without dental care. Why give them taffy or gummy bears to rot their teeth more quickly?

Agreeing. Hard candy scares me to death. Sugary little choking balls.

• Like 2

I think the problem with the hard candy for me is that I might open the box in front of my children and if they see the candy and I say "no" and remove it, then I'm the bad guy. This has happened many times, like in a bank or somewhere, someone gives my child candy. I either awkwardly refuse it or shove it in my purse for "later" and hope to get rid of it. Currently we have a battle ground with the Halloween candy LOL. I keep insisting ds eat certain things out of sight from his toddler sister. Last night dh and dd were gone for a while so we were able to eat suckers without any guilt lol.

Dollar stores sometimes do sell Crayola brand :) I agree, I prefer that over other brands.