Menu

Computer programming classes?

Where could my son take online computer programming classes? He is 15 and would need advanced programming classes. He has been mostly self-taught up to this point. This would be for spring semester.

ETA: I looked at Landry Academy but the time for advanced Python classes conflicts with his online math class.

Edited by Annie Laurie
  • Like 1

Please be more specific about what your DS and you are looking for.  The question is so broad...  Among other things, I would suggest that he have a dedicated PC and that he installs the Linux OS on it. Then, also free, he can install all of the stuff he wants. All of the development tools. He can write programs, in a language like C++, or he can write Assembly Language programs. He can do it all, for free, on a dedicated Linux PC.  It does not need to be a new PC, he could do that on any of our Dell Latitude laptops, Enterprise models made about 2008 -2010, on my Dell Precision Mobile Workstation (2010?), or on our last Desktop, a 4 year old Dell Inspiron 660s. (2012) 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-9  This one starts in January. 

Also get him a Raspberry Pi (cheaper than his own computer, and more forgiving) 

Linux class here: https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-linux-linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-0

+1 for the Linux class!   In addition to learning various programming languages, that are  currently in demand in industry, he should learn his way around the Linux Operating System..."Learn by Destroying" is a good method.  He can have Virtual systems on his computer and blow them up, as often as he wants. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much! I got busy and haven't been back to this forum for awhile. I have to be to the hospital soon with a family member today, but will come back to this thread as soon as I have time and can think clearly. I appreciate all the help! I don't know a thing about programming, that's why my question is broad, but will give some thought to what we need more specifically and will look at your questions, Lanny, thanks!

• Like 1

OP:  Your original post was dated on 10 NOV 2016 and you mentioned Landry Academy. Beware...  There are threads on WTM, in "General Education" and I think also in "Chat", about Landry Academy. They are, apparently, having severe issues at this time.  

You are welcome!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but is there perhaps a thread about progression in computer sci/coding from an elementary student through high school/AP courses?  I'd love a map of what I should be offering my son.

Ooh, ooh, pick me!  

I started my daughters on python when they were in late elementary, and I used the book Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner by Michael Dawson.  It isn't written specifically for kids, but it does use creating games for their programming examples, which makes it kid friendly.  Plus, we went through the book slowly at our own pace.  

We followed that with the AoPS online python courses, beginner and advanced.  They are fast-paced, so it can be helpful to have some programming experience before enrolling. YMMV.

Finally, when they were in 8th grade, I had them do the AP CS A online course at Edhesive.  That was nice because all they needed to learn at that point was anything that Java specific; they had all the basic programming down.  

From there, they've taken various online classes and MOOCs.  You can also try USACO.  Or robotics software programming.  

Before python, you can also try MIT's App Inventor which has a more visual drag and drop interface for programming mobile apps, and is more kid friendly.  

HTH!  

• Like 2