Menu

need input -- homeschooling while friend is watching kids

cintinative

A good friend is watching my kids while my husband has surgery and still plans to homeschool her kids, so I am going to send work with mine to do.  I need some help thinking through what I can send and not send.  I don't want to send anything that will add to her load but things that they should be able to do independently. 

I am wondering though, can I have them do work on the computer? If so, should I send my laptop with them? Or ask if they can use theirs?  Is it okay for me to have my kids watch an IEW video? 

I know her kids are usually done before mine.  There are a number of things I cannot send because I am not expecting her to "teach" my kids, so I am just trying to fill out maybe a half day or so.  

Thoughts? The things I am for sure sending are:  Reading, Latin workbook/worksheets, poetry, Fix-it, map work, and handwriting. 

I am wondering though, can I have them do work on the computer? If so, should I send my laptop with them? .

I think that depends on your friend's household computer use policy. I would be happy to babysit your kids and have them bring their own laptops or tablets because I am free to oversee my kids and yours using the internet.

If my kids need me one to one for academics and I could not oversee your kids computer usage, I would be worried. In that case, I rather you send only workbooks and reading materials.

• Like 1

Is this just for one day?

I would not ask if your kids can use their computer.  I'd either take the laptop, with no expectations that the "host" mom is going to watch over your kids while they use it, or just take workbooks and such.  If they are going to watch/listen to lectures, I'd take headphones.    I'd also have them take sketchbooks and books to read so if they are done before the host kids, they can keep quietly busy. 

Hope it all goes well!  

• Like 3

the computer stuff would have been Prodigy and Quizlet but they can skip it easily. I think she will only have them one day.  Thanks for the other suggestions!! I forgot about logic. I can save that up from earlier in the week.  I am probably overthinking this.  =)

Edited by cintinative