Menu

Aristotle's Poetics: Study guide, resources?

DS read Aristotle's Poetics in 9th grade, unabridged.  (I did too in high school, and again in Greek in college.)  If I were to do it over again for DS, I'd probably have him read the abridged version from the Norton Anthology of World Literature, although in the 2nd edition at least, it's only about 6 pages and I'd prefer a bit more than that. The brief introduction in the Norton Anthology plus the 2 pages in the Guide for Instructors adds some background.

DS read several Greek plays, and I would certainly do that again, as I suspect you will be doing.  The Great Courses has a pretty good course on Greek Tragedy.  While I don't think it's as good as Elizabeth Vandiver's course on The Odyssey, it's pretty good.  Another thing I did in high school was read Horace's Ars Poetica alongside Aristotle's Poetics and analyze them, which was somewhat useful if you're really into that stuff.

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's the best I can do and I don't see anything else posted yet.  Best wishes.

ETA: I would take a close look at the translation/edition of the Poetics you're using.  A literal translation of the lecture notes, which the Poetics appears to be, can be unnecessarily challenging and awkward to read.  I don't have a particular recommendation of an edition, but I would preview whatever you use a bit.

Edited by Brad S
  • Like 2