Menu

A bystander's guide to standing up against harassment

bibiche

Beautiful.  Thank you for these.

My other post (on the one that is now gone) wasn't meant to be a post and run...

I was sincerely wondering if there would be equitable disgust about that man's treatment as there would be for the horrible treatment others have been subjected to (I did read the other list and yes, they are terrible).

I do tend to see selective outrage on this board.  

I keep my posts to a minimum because I am not good with the art of argument the way many of you are.  I read, ponder, and post when something strikes me. That's all.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the safety pin thing that took off in the UK following the Brexit vote (when immigrants were being subjected to verbal and physical abuse, and orders to "go back where you came from") is still a thing in the UK? Could it become a thing here?

Wearing a safety pin on your shirt seems like it would be a very simple way to offer a sense of safety to those who are being harassed or who feel they are likely to be harassed or targeted in certain situations.

ETA: Here's an article in the Guardian about it.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3

Bibiche, I read your French comic and found it helpful. My son, who was being made uncomfortable pinned in an inside seat on the train on the way home from college, was rescued by an older couple using one of these methods. They called loudly to him, "Hey Sam! Nice to see you! It's been ages! Come tell us how you've been!" He stood up and switched his seat to sit with his new friends. A simple and effective intervention by kind strangers. Thank you for the link.

Nan

• Like 14

I like your post, corraleno. :)

I wonder if we could have an early world hijab day. Or week. Or month. Or several years...

http://worldhijabday.com/

I remember reading about some UU churches in areas where Muslim women were being threatened after 9-11. The women in the church started wearing the hijab as well in order to keep the Muslim women in their communities from standing out.

Nan

• Like 3

I remember reading about some UU churches in areas where Muslim women were being threatened after 9-11. The women in the church started wearing the hijab as well in order to keep the Muslim women in their communities from standing out.

Nan

I'm glad your son was rescued. :)

And maybe it is time to go shopping. I will check with my Muslim friends first to make sure they're okay with it, but if this is one tiny thing I can do I am happy to do it. I am feeling pretty powerless right now otherwise. :(

• Like 2

I'm glad your son was rescued. :)

And maybe it is time to go shopping. I will check with my Muslim friends first to make sure they're okay with it, but if this is one tiny thing I can do I am happy to do it. I am feeling pretty powerless right now otherwise. :(

I,ve kept it in mind since I heard about it. If I hear there is need in my town, I will try to organize the women in my church to do this. I know at least some of them would.

Nan

• Like 4

I,ve kept it in mind since I heard about it. If I hear there is need in my town, I will try to organize the women in my church to do this. I know at least some of them would.

Nan

Well, I don't know where you are in Massachusetts, but maybe it is starting. I read about an incident in Cambridge of all places today! :(

• Like 1