Menu

Our first Somali-American Was Elected to a State Congress Tonight

umsami

History was made.  If you've ever thought about running for election, and have your reasons why you shouldn't or couldn't, read her story.  She's a refugee.  She's relatively young.  She's visibly Muslim.  She was elected.  You can do it, too.  We need more women in government from all parties.  Why not run in the next election?

http://www.startribune.com/ilhan-omar-will-be-nation-s-first-somali-american-legislator/400478961/

"Omar’s story is just the latest in a long line of oppressed people coming to the United States, grabbing hold of the country’s democratic levers and demanding equality and opportunity — mirroring the journey of Irish, Jewish and other immigrant groups.

She immigrated to the United States as a preteen, knowing only a few words of English, living with her family in Minneapolis’ Cedar-Riverside area. They escaped the Somali civil war when she was 8 and spent four years in a Kenyan refugee camp."

Edited by umsami
  • Like 27

History was made.  If you've ever thought about running for election, and have your reasons why you shouldn't or couldn't, read her story.  She's a refugee.  She's relatively young.  She's visibly Muslim.  She was elected.  You can do it, too.  We need more women in government from all parties.  Why not run in the next election?

Ilhan Omar's my rep. I caucused for her and voted for her in the primary and the general. I can't even name what nobody she won against today. She won her race in the primary and it was a bittersweet thing especially for women in politics. She beat Phyllis Kahn; a jewish woman who entered politics after a gender based tenure dispute in '72. Phyllis entered politics the year before I was born. She is a feminist icon. She's one of those MN liberal lions who can't tell when history has passed them by... like Hubert Humphrey or Walter Modale.

Ilhan Omar is a gifted, inspiring politician but so was her real opponent. The real message here is if you want to effect change build a coalition. Kahn's was students, blue collar hippies, and university professors. Omar's was Somali immigrants, blue collar ex-hippies, and liberals. Times change... and neighborhood demographics change.

• Like 5