Menu

Ballot questions that should / shouldn't be ballot questions

poppy

It would have superior standing compared to the other states, due to the important stuff that goes on there.

No. It would have 2 senators and a number of congressman based on it's population just like other states. The votes of those representatives would count the same as the votes of representatives of other states. 

• Like 3

Three states are voting on death penalty issues. 

"California is voting to ban the practice, Nebraska is voting to reinstate it, and Oklahoma is voting to amend the state’s constitution to give the state the power to execute prisoners."

See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropology/2016/11/voting-to-put-an-end-the-death-penalty/#sthash.q8OcAzzv.dpuf

Off the top of my head we had:

Minimum wage increase

Protecting seniors from id theft and fraud

A carbon tax swap

Protection orders barring being who are a risk to theme selves or others from having guns

A campaign finance/public funding for elections.

An initiative to encourage the congressional delegation to propose a constitutional amendment to repeal Citizen's United.

Changing the redistricting deadline by a few weeks.

2 maintain/repeal questions about tax increases (dental insurance and low emissions vehicles)

County and city:

Another wave of light rail approval

Making the county prosecutor a nonpartisan office or not

Making the language in the county charter gender neutral

A proposition for parks and trail improvements.

I am fine with levies and such being on the ballot. I have Initiative fatigue though and don't usually support them as a way of legislating. One is that conflicting initiatives can pass. Another is that voters seem to think there is a free lunch. Case in point: we gutted a revenue source while simultaneously passing several spending measures. Do the math people.

• Like 1

I think last time this came up I objected that we'd have to change the "Fifty Nifty United States" song...

Of course, there's also the problem of a name...(do DC residents have opinions on that? I'd be interested to hear the suggestions. Given that Columbus has fallen from grace I'm thinking "Columbia" might not go over that well as the name of a new state?)

Apparently there's been a fair amount of talk of calling it Washington. That gets a lot of eye rolls in the actual state of Washington.

• Like 1

Apparently there's been a fair amount of talk of calling it Washington. That gets a lot of eye rolls in the actual state of Washington.

Yeah, I assumed that one wasn't an option, being already taken and all.

Though I've encountered folks east of the Mississippi who do tend to forget that Washington doesn't always and exclusively refer to the capital city. (Hey, that is the right spelling of capital, isn't it? Capital and capitol are such confusing homonyms...)