Menu

Later talking toddler (Reassure me)

Lawyer&Mom

My eldest, perfectionist, hadn't spoke much until he learnt to read fluently at about 2.5yo. Then he suddenly began speaking in full complex sentences. Apparently he didn't want to say words without knowing how they were written.

Two of my daughter's first words were strawberry and spatula. 😂 Sometimes they like to wait till they have truly mastered something. Show offs.

• Like 2

This is fascinating. She has said certain words perfectly like once, and then all I'll get is a very very loose approximation. Most of her words are only approximations. Sometimes I think I she says a whole sentence, but I can't be sure because each word was slurred. Thank you for sharing this!

One of mine did this. The first time, peekaboo sounded like peekaboo. Then it was peekabow, then peekabye, then beekabye.  He was a late talker but receptive language was always fine.  He's kind of a weird kid in general, though.

I just saw this and am coming in late, but my eldest son acquired his second word at 18 months.  By 20 months we had "bye bye", "doggie" and "papa" (My dad.  At three he was still using a handful of single words.  Two things helped.  One was sign language.  He gained a few good concept words that way.  The other was Kindermusik.  He blossomed in Kindermusik.

It turns out that he's highly visual and when I taught him to read (at four) he became a fluent (though for a while awkward) speaker.  The experience got him in touch with his learning style in a big way.  He was also very late to acquire mathematics skills in the elementary years.

Fast forward.  He's a mathematics major at a local college, no interventions, has a girlfriend and a tribe of gaming friends.  He's smart. More importantly, he's happy.  And he's considering teaching math for visual learners.   He is probably borderline hyperlexic/autistic but has never crossed the line into a diagnosis. 

I need to update my profile picture.... he's the top kid on the picture stack, but that photo is very old.  He has a beard now. :)

• Like 3

My youngest is a perfectionist. He observes, thinks, and only when he has it down will he do anything. He was a late talker, but when he did start he did it well.

That explains my son as well.  At 24 months, he said "mama", "dada", and "ah" (for water).  Since he was my first, I didn't know that wasn't normal.  But when he did start talking at about two and a half, it was in complete sentences.  He just wanted to make sure he was doing it right!  Before he was three, he was using words like "condensation" correctly in sentences.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My first son said zero words at 15 months. About 15 words at 18 months. 2-3 word phrases at 24 months. By 30 months he was on average age level for speech, and now he's 3.5 and uses 15-word sentences and expresses complex ideas with a good vocabulary. I wouldn't worry at all!

Meanwhile my second was saying hundreds of words by 18 months and is now 21 months and says over a thousand words in complete 5+ word sentences. But I'm thinking that around 2.5-3 he will be at the same level his brother was. Meanwhile, the older son caught onto problem solving and fine motor much earlier and was a better climber, and the second can't do nearly as many fine motor tasks as his brother did.

They're all different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are just shy of 20 months and in the midst of a language explosion. New words I heard yesterday: Door, bubble, ketchup, hot... Her articulation is still a bit muddy, but I couldn't be more thrilled. She's on her way!

Yea!! :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my youngest to get this soon, too! lol. She's 23 month (4th kiddo!) and started speech therapy, but for some reason, she won't make sounds that involves her lips (m, b, p, etc.) and generally speaking, would rather stare at you and cry that she's not getting her way than actually talk to you or ask you for something. Crazy kids! You never know what they're gonna pull! :P

• Like 1