Menu

WWE2 and spelling

Guest TrevinoLn

Guest TrevinoLn

First time posting, and I don't know what all of the acronyms mean, so I'll use the Queen's English like we try to teach our children :)

Our 7-year old, 2nd grade daughter (does this make her dd7?) is not a great speller. She is the type that locks up when she doesn't know how to do something, and her poor spelling makes writing terrifying. For that reason we did the last quarter of WWE1 this fall to get her used to it before the dreaded dictation. Poor soul, she doesn't know what's coming next week.

My question is how to do dictations with a poor speller. Should we tell her how to spell every word, or just the tough ones (week 1 has 'flattery')? TWTM says to start with very simple dictations, such as "The cat ran fast". However, WWE2 starts a sentence with much harder words. We haven't used FLL.

Any suggestions on making dictations less painful, yet still worthwhile, would be appreciated.

And by the way, so far we have loved WWE. She hated journaling so much last year, and she loves the stories that go with the narrations. She has developed quite a reading list.

Hi,

We just started WWE 2 several weeks ago. According to the book, you should, "Watch him as he writes; if he begins to make a mistake in form or spelling, stop him and tell him the correct answer. Never let him write incorrectly; the point of the exercise is to reinforce correct mental pictures of written language."

I would assume this applies to girls as well ;)

HTH,

Krista

First time posting, and I don't know what all of the acronyms mean, so I'll use the Queen's English like we try to teach our children :)

When I first started reading this board, I found it helpful to keep a window open with a site like this (see below) to refer to when I had no idea what people were talking about!!

http://lotsofkids.com/LOK-Homeschool/Articles/HSabbrev.htm t

Krista

I am doing WWE with a poor speller as well. Dicatation for WWE isn't being done for the purpose of spelling, rather it is for visualizing how a sentence is put together. So I help my dd with spelling the words. I figure that she has enough to concentrate on putting the sentence together, she doesn't need the added stress of having to spell it properly.

Instead of outright telling ds how to spell the word. I coach him through it. For instance, for the word flattery, he would probably get the f and l, then might not choose the right vowel. I would ask, "What letter makes the /a/ sound?" Then I would probably need to tell him that it has two t's, but also use that to remind him why. It's because the "a" needs the back door closed in order to make its short sound. Then he'd either remember that /er/ is spelled er or I would say, "What two letters make the sound /er/?" Same thing for the y. I'd remind him that the long sound of /e/ at the end of a word is usually spelled y. Or I'd pause and see if he could remember which letter that was.

If I don't think he's going to remember how to spell a word we might talk through it before he writes. Because, like an earlier poster noted, I don't want him to get the wrong image of the word in his brain.

Now, after saying all of that, I also do not want to frustrate him with this endeavor. So, at any point he gets frustrated with this little excercise, I will probably just tell him the correct spelling and we would move on. But, he usually enjoys trying to figure it out for himself with my coaching. I would also go ahead and tell him the correct spelling for any "outlaw" words that we might come across.

HTH

Julie

I sit next to her and tell her how to spell the words.

After the first couple of weeks (we just finished week 5) dictation is my dd7's favorite part of writing. I find the parts where she has to write her own sentences from dictation worse - she tells me she canged her mind about what she wanted to say.:glare:

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Charlotte Mason has a very interesting take on spelling. Look for the section "Steps of a Dictation Lesson for Spelling Mastery" in the following link. Some people swear by her methods.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Spelling-With-Charlotte-Masons-Methods&id=1440666

Ambleside Online has links that will take you straight to her own writing on the subject of spelling, although I can't dig mine up right now.

I personally think there is a happy medium. For words with tricky rules or true sight words, I think Charlotte Mason's methods are great. For words that I think can be phonetically spelled easily, I help my kids work through getting it on their own. However, I try to keep in mind that some things that can be spelled phonetically still might have more than one spelling and argh, that's the tricky part for those kids who can't take a mental picture. I was never scared of teaching my kids to read or spell until I actually started the process. I've had moments where I look at words on a page and think to myself, "How do any of us read or spell anything?!"

Good luck!

Kristina