Menu

OK, level with me here: How much is this going to hurt?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I have my first mammogram tomorrow. When did I get this old? Anyway, let's just say my bookshelves runneth over...and over...and over. Can you tell me what to expect? Is it really bad, or just "dental cleaning" level uncomfortable? Is there anything I can do to make it not so bad, like ibuprofen (or Percocet) beforehand or something?

*sigh* I hate this. I'm also trying to work up the nerve to schedule a colonoscopy. Maybe I'll see if I can get through this and the ultrasound where they have to fill my uterus with saline first. It's the most wonderful time of the year!!!

How well do you handle pain? I'd say it's no worse than a teeth cleaning. In fact I'd much rather have a mammogram than have my teeth cleaned. But I've been told by multiple health professionals that I have a high tolerance for pain. I don't think it would hurt anything to take some ibuprofen. Sometimes I have a little soreness for an hour or two afterwards and it might help with that.

• Like 1

Well, I am the opposite of you, in that my bookshelves are nearly empty. I've heard that usually makes things hurt worse. I also have pretty fibrous, ummm, books, which I've also heard makes it worse. Now, either I lucked out and got the most amazing mammo tech ever, or the tales are exaggerated, because it honestly wasn't so bad. In fact, I said to the tech as she finished, "Oh, man, I would rather do this than go to the dentist any day!" 

Now, ladies in your similar position may chime in with something different, but it really wasn't terrible for me, at all. Seriously, I thought it was easier than the dentist and easier than a gyno appt/pap smear. 

• Like 2

Who has been scaring you, girl?! 

It's not that bad. It's like trying on those shoes on the sale rack even though you KNOW they're a full size too small & too narrow but dang it, they are SO CUTE & SUCH A GOOD DEAL and you cram them on your feet and walk around the store admiring how awesome they are in the mirror and how hot your legs look and then 30 seconds later you hobble back & take them off because hello, reality. 

That's a mammogram. 

• Like 20

I have found it to be painful, but the pain ends as soon as they're done squishing me.  My books are above-average size, I guess, but not by much, and quite squishy.  It never occurred to me to take a painkiller beforehand. 

Colonoscopy is not painful at all.  The prep is horrible, but the scope itself is nothing, because they sedate you.  

• Like 3

Who has been scaring you, girl?! 

It's not that bad. It's like trying on those shoes on the sale rack even though you KNOW they're a full size too small & too narrow but dang it, they are SO CUTE & SUCH A GOOD DEAL and you cram them on your feet and walk around the store admiring how awesome they are in the mirror and how hot your legs look and then 30 seconds later you hobble back & take them off because hello, reality. 

That's a mammogram. 

I have never done that.  But then there aren't really shoes that are a full size too small in the women's department.  LOL

• Like 1

Discomfort, but not outright pain.  

I haaaaate it when anyone touches my books, so I hate going just because I don't like a stranger touching me.

So you know what to expect:

Don't wear deodorant and perfumes.  You'll have to wash off any deodorant if you forgot and put it on.

They'll give you a hospital gown for you to wear.  You can leave on your pants.

They put this little sticker thing with a bb on your n*pples to track where it is on the mammogram.  I don't like that part.  It's silly and I'm probably the only person in the world who doesn't like that part but it just feels a little creepy to me to have that sticker on me.  I don't like pulling it off either when they're done.

They'll lead you to the machine and tell you exactly where to position your arms and neck.  You are pressed against the machine and have to turn your head to the side so that you're flat against the machine.  

Then they will position your books, one at a time, on a plastic ledge.  Another plastic ledge will then come down on top of the book and press it flat.  I don't like looking at that because I don't like seeing my books smooshed.  the plastic is all clear so you can see through it.  

They walk away pretty quickly to get to the part where they start the machine taking the mammogram and then come back quickly to get you untangled from it.

They'll do 2 views for each book, so 4 smooshes.  Sometimes they have to re-do them if they can see they didn't position you right  

It's not painful.  Just kinda weird and smooshy.  I think my collar bone was digging into me a little oddly when I was standing there pressed next to the machine.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Screening mammogram is uncomfortable for less than a minute on each side. Not a big deal at all. I've only had one year that I haven't been called back for additional diagnostic views, and that is painful, because they compress even more, but again, it's very quick.

The one colonoscopy I've had was the best nap I had had in a LONG time. Whatever they gave me to sedate me made me sleep the rest of the day after I got home. Prep was no fun - but the nap was *almost* worth it.

• Like 2

Thank you all! I feel so much better about tomorrow. I have a tendency to put off medical things for a variety of reasons, so I'm going to be holding tight to my big girl panties tomorrow and getting 'er done.

And FWIW, it was my DH who scared me. I don't know why I'd listen to a man about that kind of thing, but he has lots of older female friends, so I figured maybe he knew something I didn't! 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

I have been fortunate and mine never, ever hurt.  I'm 49 and have been having them done annually since I was 40.

Same here.

ETA:  I am due for my annul mammo, but am putting it off not because it hurts (which it doesn't) but because my most recent biopsy (which HURT) is too fresh in my memory. 

Edited by TrixieB
  • Like 1

Screening mammogram is uncomfortable for less than a minute on each side. Not a big deal at all. I've only had one year that I haven't been called back for additional diagnostic views, and that is painful, because they compress even more, but again, it's very quick.

The one colonoscopy I've had was the best nap I had had in a LONG time. Whatever they gave me to sedate me made me sleep the rest of the day after I got home. Prep was no fun - but the nap was *almost* worth it.

Funny, that's what my parents say! Something about the sedation they use being really refreshing compared to regular anesthesia? I wouldn't know, I've only had the standard kind, and nothing is worth that nap  :glare:

Oh, OK, and about the time: Is it basically like getting an x-ray on each breast a few times? I asked the scheduler how long it would take and she told me an hour. I was picturing my girls rolling around between plastic plates for like, 5-10 minutes at a time. So it's really like Garga described: line up, squish in, take the photo, tech comes back, realign and squish back in, take the photo, and switch? 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

My bookshelves are practically nonexistent, more like a niche or a small spot on the counter to put a tri-fold pamphlet, so for me it's quite painful. There just isn't enough material to gather together to put between the two plates, try as hard as they might to keep pulling my body in.

• Like 1

My bookshelves are practically nonexistent, more like a niche or a small spot on the counter to put a tri-fold pamphlet...

I'm so sorry, and thank you for your reply, but this description literally made me laugh until I cried. Thank you for your honesty! Please know that if I could share some of my folios with you, I would gladly do so!

I'm so sorry, and thank you for your reply, but this description literally made me laugh until I cried. Thank you for your honesty! Please know that if I could share some of my folios with you, I would gladly do so!

No need to apologize - it's just my reality. I'm sincerely glad I could bring some happiness to a situation you seemed stressed about. You are going to do great tomorrow - good luck!

• Like 1

I went through a period in my 40s where I was having to go back for rescans every 3-6 months because they kept seeing things they didn't like. I was taking Tylenol and trying to hold ice packs on them for a full day afterwards! The bruises were horrid.

Then they went to 3-D imaging (which is better for me), and I found that a certain technician NEVER hurt me and that I NEVER got a call-back when she did it. Naturally it didn't feel great then and ached driving home, but I was fine an hour later.

So before I make my appointment, I call her to see what her schedule is. She generally works the later shift to 8pm.

This last time I was checking in with registration and the gal commented that I always do this at the same time, on the same day of the week. I explained, and she told me that the technician I like is the favorite among the female hospital employees too. 

With that background, I don't dread it any more. 

Colonoscopies are another matter. The prep is miserable of course, and then my whole digestive system is off for days. I can count about a week of misery at some level for that one. But colon cancer is a horrible disease, and I had polyps on my first round. Thankfully none this time.

• Like 1

Colonoscopies are another matter. The prep is miserable of course, and then my whole digestive system is off for days. I can count about a week of misery at some level for that one. But colon cancer is a horrible disease, and I had polyps on my first round. Thankfully none this time.

Colonoscopies are terrible. The prep is horrific and then I woke up during the procedure and screamed, swore, and fought them (they gave me versed and it makes me crazy) and I was given Fentanyl to put me down like a rabid dog. I was so high from the Fentanyl for the following day or two that I didn't notice any problems at all with my digestion. :lol: It was not too terrible except for the amused looks on the faces of the physicians as they told me about my bad versed trip.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

Colonoscopies are terrible. The prep is horrific and then I woke up during the procedure and screamed, swore, and fought them (they gave me versed and it makes me crazy) and I was given Fentanyl to put me down like a rabid dog. I was so high from the Fentanyl for the following day or two that I didn't notice any problems at all with my digestion. :lol: It was not too terrible except for the amused looks on the faces of the Dr and nurse as they told me about my bad versed trip.

Yes, I have some reflux and occasional IBS. So the prep messes up everything. 

This last round I thought I was doing OK three days later, and I got extremely light-headed at the gym. No explanation, but I had to go home part way through my workout. I went a day later and finished my workout, and I was fine. I was well-hydrated in both cases. Go figure.

• Like 1

It's momentarily uncomfortable--but I feel a dental cleaning is harder. :)

Treat yourself to a healthy smoothie, fabulous chocolate or a fancy cup of coffee afterward as a reward.

My breast cancer was caught by a mammogram--I believe in their benefits!  Be consistent--I had not been consistent.

• Like 1

The funniest part for me is when they get my larger bookshelves positioned and squished way down nice and tight and the perky little tech says "now don't move"....as if there was any way I COULD move with my book in a vice grip.

Seriously though, it is a bit uncomfortable but not bad at all.

• Like 1

Well, I have had a few, and I find them pretty painful. I have some sensory issues though, and probably a lower tolerance for pain than the average person. For my most recent one, I did take tylenol before heading to the appointment. It still hurt enough that I felt close to fainting. I was a bit shaky for a couple of hours after. 

For me, it was probably the same pain level as my colonoscopy, but I remember the people at that procedure saying I shouldn't be feeling pain. (Um, well, then you folks seem to be doing it WRONG....)

• Like 1

I'm a D cup and they basically squash your ladies flat. It's uncomfortable/slightly painful, but it's also pretty quick. Very doable. Colonoscopy's are tougher because a, the prep is long and somewhat yucky and b,at least with one of mine, the anesthesia didn't put me out enough so I was able to feel some discomfort. My second one I was out like a light, and the prep was much easier. Different doctors have different prep methods and anesthesia. Both are easier than childbirth, though I had babies that were almost 11 pounds and needed a last minute C-section, so YMMV.

• Like 1

Not a big deal.  For me, the most uncomfortable part is the pulling of the skin on my upper chest.  It's not painful, and it's only for a few seconds, but not my favorite thing. 

Garga mentioned the little bee-bee's that they tape on the nipples.  That depends on the equipment.  I haven't had those in years.  (they were only annoying to remove -- think bandaid on the areola)

They may ask if you'd like a 3-D mammogram.  I've never had one because my insurance doesn't pay for it, and because I'm low risk, but it's something to consider.

Some mammography techs are super sweet, and some aren't.  That can make a huge difference in your comfort level.  Hope for a sweet one, but if you get a disgruntled, bored lady, just try not to let it get you down.  

ETA: Correction of the autocorrection of Garga's name

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 2

I am in the crowd for whom it is more than uncomfortable. The procedure itself hurt, but worse than that was that the girls ached for three days afterward. I have sadly tiny books, with dense tissue, so I suspect my experience is not typical, and you'll be fine.

• Like 2

And FWIW, it was my DH who scared me. I don't know why I'd listen to a man about that kind of thing, but he has lots of older female friends, so I figured maybe he knew something I didn't!

Well don't tell him what you heard here! Those (wise!) older female friends are making sure you have his sympathy. You should get home afterwards and take to your bed to recover while he cooks, feeds everyone and cleans up! And obviously ask for chocolate to relieve the emotional distress.

• Like 4

The amount of compression applied greatly determines the discomfort level. Not the only thing, but a large part of it. I had one tech that handled it perfectly. She explained that the more compression, the better, but that it needed to be within what I could tolerate, so she was going to apply compression until I told her to stop. That element of control was hugely effective for me. It took away the fear. Unfortunately, I only had her once, and other techs haven't done that. They just slammed them in and bam! Shoot the image! Done!

My mother, a nurse, worked at a breast care center doing manual breast exams. Her personal experience with mammograms was that they were mildly uncomfortable but certainly not painful. Until one time she said it hurt so bad that she thought she was going to pass out. I say this not to scare you, but to encourage you to please speak up if it does hurt. A repositioning or reduction in compression may relieve the problem.