Menu

I just got the parents schedule for returning students by email today.

Did you guys get?

Nope. Just checked email. Nada.

I thought I saw someone's sig that they were taking AP Stats at WHA, but I can't find it now. Will keep my eyes open.

ETA: Amy corrected me (below):

Mr Donaldson teaches both sections of Russian, not Mr Etter. My daughter is currently taking classes from him. She likes it.

Looks like Pre-Calc is half Mrs. Stublen & half Mrs. Smith (2 classes each).

Mr Etter Mr Donaldson will be teaching Russian 2. If DD had more time, I think she'd enjoy taking Russian with Mr. Etter. (I don't think she'd like Mr Donaldson as much as Mr Etter. She'd like the Russian, though, I think.)

Still not a lot out there for the Pacific time zone folks. 

Edited by RootAnn

Has anyone had Lawrence for TGC 1+4?  My daughter had Mr. Etter.  I know the material is fabulous, but a friend who was looking forward to having her daughter take the class from Mr. Etter finds that Lawrence is the only one teaching it.

I just ran into this this morning. I had convinced my daughter to take Etter and then realized it's Lawrence. Sigh.

Oh, that's too bad about Mr. Etter not teaching GC 1&4 next year.  My dd has him this year for that course and it is FABULOUS.  I started watching the recorded classes myself as they are that good!  I believe Greg Lawrence was new to WHA last year (maybe, I think???) and is currently teaching this class, so at least you know he won't be brand new to teaching this class.  Although I gotta say, Mr. Etter is a hoot with his 'action figures', I mean 'statues' of various Greek personalities that he brings on screen from time to time....

Can anyone access the link on their website? I get an error message each time.

They took it down last night because they realized there were mistakes. I attached the pdf to a thread on another forum (middle school forum?) if you want to see it.

ETA: New one now up at this link!

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

Other Hive minds are asking the same question . . .  :lol:

Has anyone had Lawrence for TGC 1+4?  My daughter had Mr. Etter.  I know the material is fabulous, but a friend who was looking forward to having her daughter take the class from Mr. Etter finds that Lawrence is the only one teaching it.

I just ran into this this morning. I had convinced my daughter to take Etter and then realized it's Lawrence. Sigh.

Oh, that's too bad about Mr. Etter not teaching GC 1&4 next year.  My dd has him this year for that course and it is FABULOUS.  I started watching the recorded classes myself as they are that good!  I believe Greg Lawrence was new to WHA last year (maybe, I think???) and is currently teaching this class, so at least you know he won't be brand new to teaching this class.  Although I gotta say, Mr. Etter is a hoot with his 'action figures', I mean 'statues' of various Greek personalities that he brings on screen from time to time....

• Like 1

FYI. I thought I would share this here as well. I emailed again today to find out the status because, as far as I know, this is still not up.

This is from an email I got from WHA:  "In lieu of open campus, this year we will be launching our Student Life section on the website.  It will contain video clips of many of our live classes so that prospective students and parents can get an idea of how things work in the online classroom.  The Student Life area of the website should be up and running hopefully next week, so keep a lookout on our website. "  (received on 1/5/18)

• Like 2

Another update: "I know that we are waiting on parent permission waivers before we can post those clips, so it may take some time.  I have no way of knowing which classes will have clips available.  Privacy issues prevent me from connecting our parents by giving out emails, etc. "

Should I ask them to send my email to the parents instead? My original question was:  Do you have a way of connecting me with parents in his (Lawrence's) class this year for input? 

Another update: "I know that we are waiting on parent permission waivers before we can post those clips, so it may take some time. I have no way of knowing which classes will have clips available. Privacy issues prevent me from connecting our parents by giving out emails, etc. "

Should I ask them to send my email to the parents instead? My original question was: Do you have a way of connecting me with parents in his (Lawrence's) class this year for input?

I would ask if the teacher will ask (maybe in an email to parents of the kids in the class) for parents who would be willing to email people interested in the class to answer questions.

I think asking Mr. Lawrence directly for parent e-mail reference is a great idea! When we were first considering Latin at WHA, Mrs. Hensley gave me a student’s e-mail and my dd emailed back and forth with her. It helped us decide this was the right switch to make and as a bonus my dd became friends with her and they have even met up irl.

• Like 3

This is a great idea to go directly to the teacher.

You could ask. I'd write Mr. Lawrence directly. And then you can ask him if he would email the parents.

Or find someone here?

She's been trying to get a review here in this thread & another one specifically aimed at Lawrence's class. No one is biting. It is possible there are no Hive members with kids in that particular class this year. It would be easier if someone did have a kid in it & PM'd her. Alas . . . 

Reviews are sparse for so many teachers and it’s a shame. I do understand there a number of reasons why that is.

If I could wave my homeschooling magic wand, I would poof into existence a website similar to ratemyprofessor, but for homeschool class providers. It would be more descriptive and not about star ratings. And then have it be something that everyone who takes a class would be directed to on completion of the course.That still isn’t a perfect solution, but it would be a start. I would never base my decision solely on anonymous reviews, especially ones that were not specific, but they can be extremely helpful. And sometimes with even what seems to be a negative review, what isn’t a fit for one family might be just the thing another is looking for.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 2

Reviews are sparse for so many teachers and it’s a shame. I do understand there a number of reasons why that is.

If I could wave my homeschooling magic wand, I would poof into existence a website similar to ratemyprofessor, but for homeschool class providers. It would be more descriptive and not about star ratings. 

Love this! Wish there was such a thing! It would be so wonderful. 

Anyone have a student in Fundamentals of Academic Writing this year at WHA? If I remember correctly, this is what used to be called Honors Composition? Or it’s a new course that replaced the old Honors Comp? I’d love to hear any feedback you might have to share. I’m pretty committed to Integritas Academy with Cindy Lange for English classes, but I’m just daydreaming about having only one provider, one portal, one calendar, etc.

• Like 2

Anyone have a student in Fundamentals of Academic Writing this year at WHA? If I remember correctly, this is what used to be called Honors Composition? Or it’s a new course that replaced the old Honors Comp? I’d love to hear any feedback you might have to share. I’m pretty committed to Integritas Academy with Cindy Lange for English classes, but I’m just daydreaming about having only one provider, one portal, one calendar, etc.

My daughter took this class last year when it was called Honors Comp with Starlet Baker and really liked the class and the teacher.  I've heard wonderful things about Cindy Lange, but Honors Comp gave my daughter the tools she needed and a strong foundation to build upon.  It also paired well with The Great Conversations 1+4 class my daughter took the same year because it wasn't a literature based writing class.  (There is a lot of reading to do in The Great Conversations classes.) 

I quickly went through my daughter's notes.  Here's some of what I found they covered in Honors Comp:

- 5 Canons of Rhetoric

- Paragraph Arrangement (Topic Sentence, Concrete details, Commentary, concluding Sentence)

- Topic Sentence Key Components

- concrete details

- commentary sentences

- paraphrase/summary

- in-text citation

- analyze writing prompt

- writing for the audience

- outlining

- comma usage rules

- independent & dependent clauses

- Logos, Pathos & Ethos

If your daughter already has this kind of foundation you may be happier with Integris Academy, but it was a good class for my daughter who was coming from doing Lost Tools of Writing in Classical Conversation's Challenge A & B.  

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

Done. Thank you. I had not thought of doing this.

Please let us know what you learn!  I'm hoping clips of his class will be added to their website along with Mr. Baker.  You just feel less apprehensive signing up for a class after seeing and hearing the teacher!

• Like 1

Please let us know what you learn!  I'm hoping clips of his class will be added to their website along with Mr. Baker.  You just feel less apprehensive signing up for a class after seeing and hearing the teacher!

He has already put me in touch with a parent! I might need to PM you when I hear from her. I just sent her a ton of questions. =)

• Like 1

I'm debating between CLRC GC 1 (apparently the student has to start from this level?) which includes a load of reading but also writing with detailed feedback versus GC 1+4 or any other GC at WHA with a writing course (we had Lange before and will do a higher level writing course) either with Lange or WHA. I'm trying to get in a GC course if DD goes to a brick and mortar which may not offer such a breadth of reading material.

That's my next question, for someone who may not have an opportunity to do all the great GC courses but can only choose one, which one at WHA would you recommend? At first I thought GC 1+4 was a class encompassing all 4 years, but apparently it's just a combo of levels 1 and 4. We've done Odyssey, Aeneid, some Cicero because of Lange and Lukeion.

Does a WHA GC class require commenting on 3 other people's comments? I'm sure it's helpful, right?

I'm debating between CLRC GC 1 (apparently the student has to start from this level?) which includes a load of reading but also writing with detailed feedback versus GC 1+4 or any other GC at WHA with a writing course (we had Lange before and will do a higher level writing course) either with Lange or WHA. I'm trying to get in a GC course if DD goes to a brick and mortar which may not offer such a breadth of reading material.

That's my next question, for someone who may not have an opportunity to do all the great GC courses but can only choose one, which one at WHA would you recommend? At first I thought GC 1+4 was a class encompassing all 4 years, but apparently it's just a combo of levels 1 and 4. We've done Odyssey, Aeneid, some Cicero because of Lange and Lukeion.

Does a WHA GC class require commenting on 3 other people's comments? I'm sure it's helpful, right?

Hey. I just forwarded you the message I got from the mom and I think it will be helpful.  She addresses starting in GC1 versus GC1+4 a bit. 

It looks like GC1+4  covers the material from GC1 and GC 4 but obviously omits some reading to make that happen. It's designed for a 9th grader to take it to get up to speed and be able to move on with the other students who have been doing GC from the beginning. That said, some people on here were talking about jumping in at GC3. So I am not sure how that works.  (EDITED)

Can anyone answer if GC1+4 is a two year course? It looks like that on their example rhetoric age schedule but it doesn't say anything about "year 2" on the schedule they put out of actual classes. 

I thought someone had said elsewhere that CLRC is secular.  Can anyone confirm that? That seems like that would be an important distinction because Bible is part of the TGC at Wilson Hill.

FYI: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/547186-classical-learning-resource-center-clrc-anyone/

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

looks like GC1+4  covers the material from GC1 through GC 4 but obviously omits some reading to make that happen. It's designed for a 9th grader to take it to get up to speed and be able to move on with the other students who have been doing GC from the beginning. That said, some people on here were talking about jumping in at GC3. So I am not sure how that works. 

Can anyone answer if GC1+4 is a two year course? It looks like that on their example rhetoric age schedule but it doesn't say anything about "year 2" on the schedule they put out of actual classes. 

My dd is taking GC1+4 this year.  It covers what you could think of as 'middle school ancients' (GC1) plus 'high school ancients' (GC4) into one course taken for one year.  GC2 is comparable to GC5 except the books are easier...both cover the medieval period, I believe.  Then GC3 is like GC6 in that they both cover the modern era.

Since we just started this year, we did GC1+4 (you have to be either a 9th or a 10th grader to do this one) and then my dd will go on to GC5 next year in order to keep with the chronological order of history.  I think someone may have chosen GC3 because they wanted to cover U.S. History at a fairly easy pace.  You can look at the book lists for each of the Great Conversations classes to get a better feel of what is covered and what best fits in with your desired scope and sequence.

Brenda

• Like 2

I thought someone had said elsewhere that CLRC is secular.  Can anyone confirm that? That seems like that would be an important distinction because Bible is part of the TGC at Wilson Hill.

FYI: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/547186-classical-learning-resource-center-clrc-anyone/

CLRC is officially secular, I believe, but the other kids in the class are often Christian & they can be pushy about their beliefs. (I think madteaparty has discussed this in previous threads.) I think kids are welcome to put Christian worldview beliefs into their papers but are not required to.

I understand GC1+4 to be a one-year course.

• Like 1

My dd is taking GC1+4 this year.  It covers what you could think of as 'middle school ancients' (GC1) plus 'high school ancients' (GC4) into one course taken for one year.  GC2 is comparable to GC5 except the books are easier...both cover the medieval period, I believe.  Then GC3 is like GC6 in that they both cover the modern era.

Since we just started this year, we did GC1+4 (you have to be either a 9th or a 10th grader to do this one) and then my dd will go on to GC5 next year in order to keep with the chronological order of history.  I think someone may have chosen GC3 because they wanted to cover U.S. History at a fairly easy pace.  You can look at the book lists for each of the Great Conversations classes to get a better feel of what is covered and what best fits in with your desired scope and sequence.

Brenda

Okay, that helps. I couldn't figure out the sequence. So you could do GC1+4, GC3, then GC5 and GC6 for a full four years of high school?  Or do GC3, GC1+4, GC5 and then GC6? This is making more sense to me now. I thought GC1+4 was a replacement for GC1 through GC4 and it was two years somehow. I fixed my other post. 

Okay, that helps. I couldn't figure out the sequence. So you could do GC1+4, GC3, then GC5 and GC6 for a full four years of high school?  Or do GC3, GC1+4, GC5 and then GC6? This is making more sense to me now. I thought GC1+4 was a replacement for GC1 through GC4 and it was two years somehow. I fixed my other post. 

You do TCG1+4 (Ancient History), followed by TGC 5 (Medieval to Renaissance), then TGC 6 or 3 (American/Modern).  (My daughter is doing TGC 3 next year because she does not have a strong foundation in American History).

TGC 1+4 through 6 are honors level classes.

post-76404-0-03592600-1516920861_thumb.png

Edited by lbell
  • Like 1

You all got me thinking.  I was in the mindset that GC3 was technically a middle school 'logic' stage course, but it is NOT.  It is listed in the 'rhetoric' stage or high school level of courses.  I verified this in several places: in the logic stage, GC1 and GC2 are options, but in the rhetoric stage for high school, it is indeed GC1&4 (for 9th and 10th graders), GC3, GC5 and GC6 that are presented as options. 

And for those that are trying to meet WHA graduation requirements to achieve a diploma, you are to have three GC courses (at least one ancient, one medieval, and one modern).  It appears to me that GC3 and GC6 would both count as 'modern' options.  Why this is key for us is because Mr. Etter teaches GC3 and my dd adores him as a teacher.  Hmmm....should we go ahead with GC5 next year, or should we back up and do GC3  and then do GC5 for dd's senior year???  Do you think I could give her this option and let her decide?  I was only thinking it would be GC5 for her junior year and then GC6 for senior year (along with maybe a .5 credit government class thrown in from somewhere.  She has already had U.S. History as we did this with Sonlight Core 100 for her freshman year. 

Wow, we have more options than I thought!  Thanks, hive! :)

Brenda

• Like 3

• Close to accreditation, but can't announce it yet.
  • New teachers being hired. New classes being scheduled. (Example:  Art History #1 teacher choice fell through, so that is not on the schedule at this time. Adding an AP Computer Sci Principles class.)
  • Just hired someone to come on full time as a College Advisor. Will be adding Naviance as a tool. (Not sure who this is available to?)
  • WHA currently has 900-1000 students with 30-40 kids "graduating" this year.

Those are what I've picked up so far.

• Like 3

A few notes I made (mostly similar to RootAnn's):

1. Adding for next year AP Computer Science Principles (NOT programming)  and Greek I

2. Hired Kelly Hood, formerly with Veritas (Academy), to help with course selection/college advising (title is Director of Advising Services)--later in the open house they said they they are working out how it will work (who will get what services) but some services will be open to all and some just for diploma students.

3. Tuition increases will likely happen. I was confused on why they were not more specific on this. Isn't registration in three weeks? 

Edited to clarify Kelly is from Veritas Academy 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3

It appears that GC3 is particularly geared to 9th graders (but I still sent an email off to Mr. Etter to ask his opinion!...and I just got an answer, just that FAST!!!!  Mr. Etter says, "she could easily do TGC 3. It is still very challenging material and we have a bit of a variety of age, maybe 14-16 yrs. old".

So, I may give her the option...

If anyone missed the event and wants to email the school, such as either Mr. Etter or Mr. Vierra or Mr. Donaldson, go for it.  They are answering questions quickly right now.  Mr. Vierra asked people to send him emails at:  tvierra@wilsonhillacademy.com.

• Like 2

One more thing from the meeting. A few people asked about more classes for west coast kids. WHA says there just isn't demand for them - that kids prefer the early morning EST classes! But, they say if there is demand, the new teachers want more sections, so they will add them.

I was astonished with the idea of teens wanting the early morning Times (est). I know my kid prefers her classes start no earlier than 11 est. Yawn!

• Like 1