Menu

What is best for art and music?

nuttman

I just purchased Harmony Fine Arts, Art and Music Appreciation for next year. It looks great for music and art appreciation! It is divided by the year of history you are studying and the grammar, logic and rhetoric stage. I'll link it below:

http://www.harmonyfinearts.com/

Another idea would be to get them involved in some sort of music lessons or choir!

I have a 7 year old ds, a 10 year old dd, and a 13 year old ds. Thanks to me they are tragically behind in art and music. cany you give me some good suggestions?

other "work" For my ds, I used Classical Kids, Beethovan's Wig, The Story of the Orchestra by Levine and CD's. Classical Kid's (typically) do a drama detailing the composer's life set to his music. Beethovan's Wig is just funny lyrics set to classical music on the first half of the CD. The second half is the straight music. We listened to these CD's in the car. Each week I read 1 two-page spread from Levine's book and we would listen to longer works of each composer during the rest of the week. My ds learned his classical composers and learned to enjoy the music. Next year, I'll probably have him watch Bernstein's Young People's Concerts (he's now 13)

For drawing, I'm having my ds do Draw Squad. The book teaches 3-D drawing in a fun, cartoonish way. The cartoon style keeps kids and moms :rolleyes: from becoming upset that "It's not perfect". It's also engaging for the difficult-to-reach a 13yo boy. It doesn't cover composition, color or drawing from life, but that can be covered later. It's an inexpensive paperback with the instruction written to the student, though there are large sections directed to the parent. I just hand our book to my 13 yo and have him work for 30 minutes. That might be a bit too much for your 7 yo, but never fear!, DVD's are available. :D You can buy the entire set or just 1 or 2. I bought the Magic Seven Words to get ds started.

I'm using Draw Squad with my seven year old. We just do a couple of the drawings in one sitting to keep him interested and not frustrated. There are several drawings to each lesson. We finish a lesson in roughly 3 sittings. He is really enjoying it.

I've also used the Come Look With Me series of books for art appreciation. Each two-page spread has a full color picture of a fine art painting and a little information on the artist and gentle questions to get the child thinking about the painting.

I'm planning on starting a Charlotte Mason style of art appreciation in which you select 6 paintings by the same artist and hang one up at a time. Tell the child who painted it, and give some info about the artist. Then every week or so put up a new painting by the same artist. Supposedly the child can start to identify artists after getting to know six of their paintings.

For music I am playing a c.d. of one composer in the background as we do school. I tell him who the composer is, and once in a while I point out some aspect of the music. Right now we are doing Mozart. I plan on playing that same c.d. for a while before introducing another composer. Later I hope to do a more formal music study (including learning an instrument), but for now I'm just going for exposure to good music. One nice side effect is that the classical music sets a calm mood for the home. Since I've been doing this there have been fewer outbursts from either kid!:)

I think there are probably some great art programs out there for your older son, but unfortunately I don't have much experience with that age yet. If he's had no instruction in drawing, he would probably enjoy Draw Squad. It's a fun book. He could move through it much faster (at the actual pace recommended by the book) than my seven year old can. And even though they are cartoonish drawings, the program teaches shading, contour, 3-dimensions, etc. While at the same time it's done in a fun way that allows the student to feel proud of what he's drawn.

other "work" For my ds, I used Classical Kids, Beethovan's Wig, The Story of the Orchestra by Levine and CD's. Classical Kid's (typically) do a drama detailing the composer's life set to his music.

I *love* The Story of the Orchestra by Levine! It covers the instruments of the orchestra and famous composers throughout the different periods of music. The best part is it comes with a cd that has samples of music using the instruments and samples of the composers' works. I love the music and the kids enjoy what we are learning. The information they give is not just dry, factual stuff. There are little tidbits that are interesting such as the bigger the stringed instrument, the shorter the bow. How the Stradivarius came about, when the harp came to be a part of the orchestra, why the strings are located where they are in the orchestra, etc.

We've also enjoyed Classical Kids cds.

On the fly, I'd have to say I love Great Artists by MaryAnne F. Kohl. GA introduces artists in chronological order, a brief bit about them and then a project idea that is similar to that artists style. Mike Venezia has written a series of books about individual artists, individual composers (and individual presidents) that are very good. Brief, colorful, full of interesting stuff. Love, love, love these books.

I have also found the Ambleside Online art and music study listings to be really helpful. I'm definitely not a music person, and know only a little more about art. Having a listing of a rotation of composers and artists to study is a great jumping off point for me. They do a three month rotation and have suggestions of works of music to listen to and links to paintings to study. They also list all the archived studies as well as what they plan to do in the future (so you could easily be "off" their schedule).