Menu

Yet another fb question

Seasider

You know that band of photos (at least on mobile version) that shows up near the top of your feed, suggesting people to friend and showing their profile pics? Well today, one showed up that alarmed me, someone I had a brief business relationship with but I'd never want to friend.

What I actually want is for my profile to ever show up on their feed as a suggestion for them to friend. I don't want that invitation out there to look at my account. I do have all my settings to "friends only." Is there anything else I should do to literally keep a low profile?

block him/her

I've heard stories that those can show up if you happen to be in the same place (not even at the same time) and share interests. There was an article about patients in a psychiatrists office (pretty sure I'm remembering that right) showing up in the People You May Know section. Pretty much everyone freaked about that.

Before I deactiviated my account, I changed my last name. I don't really care about FB's rules. My privacy is more important to me than risking getting banned. Heaven forbid, right? So I changed my last name to a nickname making it more difficult for the random person to identify me. I also usually keep my profile pic anonymous.

I would love to use an alias but that would perhaps make it hard for participating in fb groups for info about my kids' activities - the biggest reason I remain on fb!

Ok I will block. Thanks.

I know a lot of people who have a nick-last-name on Facebook. Particularly police officers and teachers seem to make this choice, in addition to people whose relationship status (and last name) are in transition.

Ideas:

One has changed their last name to "Blue" -- a transparent reference to becoming a police officer to those who were already her friends. Another has chosen their intial-as-a-word, like "Robert Zed". Someone is using their middle name as if it was their last, and others are replacing their first name with husband-and-wife initials to signal they consider it a 'joint account'.

What these have in common is that they make sense to actual friends without seeming out of place to strangers. If you do it, if you want to, it won't bother your actual friends.