Menu

Talk to me about essential oils, please! (Sorry if this has been discussed recently. I don't get to visit the boards much any more.)

ereks mom

I have several friends who use them, and dh got a sample from a friend who sells oils of some kind of oil that helps you breathe when you're congested. The friend told dh to put a tiny drop in his palm, rub his hands together, then hold his closed hands over his nose for a few seconds and breathe deeply. No idea what kind of oil it is, but it smells kind of menthol-ish and tea tree oil-ish. We'd like to buy a larger bottle of something like that. We're also interested in oils that can be used to make natural cleansers to use around the house (laundry, bathroom, kitchen).

ETA: The sample bottle I mentioned above has a sticker on it that says "Breathe."

What oils do you like best for a "starter package?" And where do you suggest buying them? I am ABSOLUTELY NOT INTERESTED in multi-level marketing and slick advertising. We have a pushy acquaintance who sells a particular brand, so I'm hoping it's not one of the ones you folks recommend highly! LOL ;)

Edited by ereks mom
  • Like 1

I have several friends who use them, and she got a sample from a friend who sells oils of some kind of oil that helps you breathe when you're congested. The friend told dh to put a tiny drop in his palm, run his hands together, then hold his closed hands over his nose for a few seconds and breathe deeply. No idea what kind of oil it is, but it smells kind of menthol-ish and tea tree oil-ish. We'd like to buy a larger bottle of something like that. We're also interested in oils that can be used to make natural cleansers to use around the house (laundry, bathroom, kitchen).

What oils do you like best for a "starter package?" And where do you suggest buying them? I am ABSOLUTELY NOT INTERESTED in multi-level marketing and slick advertising. We have a pushy acquaintance who sells a particular brand, so I'm hoping it's not one of the ones you folks recommend highly! LOL ;)

The one for congestion sounds like Eucalyptus. We have purchased ours in local health food stores.

• Like 2

Mountain Rose Herbs, online. I have bought from them. The quality and purity seems higher than NOW brand.

There are other wonderful blends of oils to use for sinus congestion, bronchial and all kinds of difficulties. 

Mountain Rose Herbs has good information on their site too regarding use of their products.

• Like 1

Hopewell Oils are good quality, I think. Not MLM, they have lovely blends and family owned. You can insert the name of popular "big name EO Co." blends and it will pull up their version of those blends in their search engine. Respiratory Relief is their respiratory support blend. Very reasonable $$.

• Like 1

I really like Eden's garden too.  I know for the last couple of years they had special for Black Friday (I think it was free shipping but maybe some other things as well).  I really like their Thieves blend (although it might run under a different name now), I've tried other brands with similiar formulas but didn't like the blend as well.  For me, lavendar is a must have oil.  It's good for burns and I seem to acquire more than my fair share of those.  I have found it really makes a difference in the pain level for me.  They have one called Breathe Easier (or something close to that) that is probably similar to what you have.  I also found their inserts really good in helping me know what to do with the different oils.  I got one of their basic starter sets.  I think it was about $50 but it gave me a small bottle of the most common used ones.  I think I've only bought one other oil that wasn't part of that set since then and then refills of the ones I used the most from the set.

• Like 1

I buy from Plant Therapy. They are reasonably priced with free shipping and frequent sales. They also freely share information about oil usage without acting like it's some secret for the select enlightened users. We limit diffusing here because we have cats but we regularly use lavender in foaming hand soap and for burns, bites, skin irritations (it's one of the mildest and most widely used for a range of conditions; eucalyptus in personal inhaler or as a steam inhalation for major congestion (palmarosa is also good for congestion), frankincense for skin issues,etc. My dh swears by a muscle blend for knots and sore muscles. 

There is real science to back up aromatherapy. But a lot of companies take it too far and make claims they shouldn't. I have one headache blend from a major MLM company and it is awesome. Everyone who has tried it loves it.  I'll spend the money for it until I find a replacement that works as well.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

There's a cool article on essential oils and their uses I normally refer to on https://draxe.com/essential-oil-uses-benefits/. There's a whole section on recipes for use with cleaning and home like you were asking about. The all purpose cleaner recipe they list is:

All-purpose cleaner: Add three drops each of lemon oil and tea tree oil to a few ounces of warm water, then spray countertops to naturally disinfect.

In terms of where to get the oils, I've experimented with premade blends but now just make my own for use with my massage therapy clients. The best source I found so far in terms of price and personalized service is https://www.botanicuniverse.com/. They're located not too far from me so shipping is a breeze but I'm pretty sure they can ship to states too. Your best bet is to try a few providers and see which one you like best though. I hate pushy sales and mlm stuff as well.

• Like 1

How many MLM essential oil companies are there?  I know about Young Living  and now I guess DoTerra.  Are there any others?

You may want to ask this on pinktruth.com on their discussion boards too.  It's originally about mary kay but they discuss all the MLM companies there.