Menu

Police ambushed in Des Moines this morning

Katy

An Urbandale and a Des Moines police officer were ambushed and murdered in their squad cars this morning - around 1 am.  We used to live very close to the first shooting, and my heart is broken.  I hope they find whoever did this soon and all other officers are safe.

They think the suspect is the same guy that was kicked out of an Urbandale football game for causing a disturbance. They showed a picture from that game, he's holding an American flag and a Confederate flag.

Kelly

Do you have a link?  All I've heard was an extremely irresponsible news station playing police radio describing the suspect as a (_____race_____) man in shorts.  Police didn't want that information public so as not to fuel more violence.

We also had a cop shooting in Cedar Rapids, Iowa yesterday too - man was black, seemed like a routine stop, fella has NO criminal record.  Protests have begun.  

Iowa might be a mess for a while.  I'm so surprised and horrified at both right now. :(

http://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/des-moines-shooting-has-iowa-officers-on-alert

I can't bring myself to like this, but thank you for the post.

We also had a cop shooting in Cedar Rapids, Iowa yesterday too - man was black, seemed like a routine stop, fella has NO criminal record.  Protests have begun.  

Iowa might be a mess for a while.  I'm so surprised and horrified at both right now. :(

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/public-safety/linn-county/man-shot-killed-by-cedar-rapids-police-20160913

He was wanted for stabbing a woman?

nope, nope, nope.  Didn't check the date.  Different guy.

ETA:  Family's side:  http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Family-and-friends-show-support-for-man-shot-by-CRPD-399580761.html

Edited by Katy

We also had a cop shooting in Cedar Rapids, Iowa yesterday too - man was black, seemed like a routine stop, fella has NO criminal record. Protests have begun.

Iowa might be a mess for a while. I'm so surprised and horrified at both right now. :(

I hadn't heard about the CR shooting.

Kelly

I forgot I didn't update.  The suspect in Des Moines was arrested around 9:30 this morning, alive.  He's white and had posted a video about hating police on youtube after being kicked out of an Urbandale high school football game for carrying a confederate flag.

• Like 2

We also had a cop shooting in Cedar Rapids, Iowa yesterday too - man was black, seemed like a routine stop, fella has NO criminal record. Protests have begun.

Iowa might be a mess for a while. I'm so surprised and horrified at both right now. :(

Didn't know about this. Will pray for the family, and for his recovery. How sad!!! :(

this is senseless.  reports are they've arrested the guy.  he was angry for being thrown out of a football game.

He carried a confederate flag to a high school football game in October.  He got kicked out then. This is not the sort of area that widely embraces that flag as a symbol of Southern history.  He picked a fight, then went to the cops to try and have someone arrested for assault, the cops asked him to leave.  He posted it all on YouTube a few weeks ago. Perhaps he was planning this since then.

• Like 1

He carried a confederate flag to a high school football game in October.  He got kicked out then. This is not the sort of area that widely embraces that flag as a symbol of Southern history.  He picked a fight, then went to the cops to try and have someone arrested for assault, the cops asked him to leave.  He posted it all on YouTube a few weeks ago. Perhaps he was planning this since then.

It isn't as if Iowa was a Confederate stronghold.   :huh:  That's just weird.

I have seen people arguing about it and pointed out, "YOU ARE FROM KANSAS! YOU DO NOT HAVE CONFEDERATE ROOTS!" :lol:

• Like 1

this guy seriously needed a :chillpill: .  or a dozen.

I initially thought the two officers were in the same car.  they weren't - they were two miles apart.  this guy has a serious anger problem.

seattle had a number of cops murdered several years back.  we had two separate people who went on shooting sprees within months of each other with the sole purpose to killing police officers.  (one was shot and paralyzed, the other was shot and killed by his would-be 5th victim.)

It isn't as if Iowa was a Confederate stronghold.   :huh:  That's just weird.

I have seen people arguing about it and pointed out, "YOU ARE FROM KANSAS! YOU DO NOT HAVE CONFEDERATE ROOTS!" :lol:

maybe his ancestors came from missouri.  there were lots of pro-slavery missourians who rushed to settle kansas before it gained statehood.

My mother was born there, and both sides of her family were there in the 1840s.  her cousin still owns farm land that's been in her family for 120+ years.  so, I can say things like that.  ;) 

It's so damn senseless, but hits harder when it's close to home. Last year it was Kerrie Orozco just the day before her nicu baby was set to go home. Sad day here today.