Menu

New social security wage limit was announced today

Since it was mentioned in that other really, really long thread, I thought I'd mention that the new wage limit for 2009 was just announced.

The maximum amount of earnings subject to Social Security tax will increase to $106,800 in 2009, up from $102,000 in 2008, the Social Security Administration announced Oct. 16.

Some interesting history about the SS wage limit: The wage limit used to be based on how much an average new college graduate would earn. As the number of retirees grew, the limit started growing faster than new college grads' salaries. Now, the majority of workers (college grads or not) will never earn the limit, let alone earn it straight out of college.

THis whole topic is very confusing to me:001_huh:

Can someone kindly explain to me what the limits mean?? Thanks.

Social security tax is 6.2% of your salary. If someone earns $50,000 a year, their ss tax would be $3,100. If someone earns $150,000 in 2008, their ss tax would be capped at $6,324 ($102000 x 6.2%). Employers are required to withhold the tax from their employees' paychecks, match it, and remit the funds to the government. A self-employed person has to pay both the employee and employer portion of the tax, so they pay 12.4% of their profit and it is reported on their regular income tax return.

We'll also probably never see any kind of reasonable percentage of wages in payed back to us out of social security when we retire....

I agree. Especially not when they just raised how much a person gets in social security AND people are drawing it at an age when most are perfectly capable of working.

I don't expect my husband to get much of anything when he ends up drawing social security which is a shame since he pays double since he's self-employed.

My fil still works and draws social security.

So does my dad, but does your father-in-law also limit how much he works so that he doesn't lose any of this benefits? My Dad does. He alsways says, "They won't let me earn any more than _____." Of course they'll let him, but he gets a shorter end of the stick that way.

I just think 62 is way to young to be able to draw SS.