Menu

Is anyone using Healthcare.gov and did you get your renewal?

Scarlett

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours will be $1200 and change. Deductibles went up too can't remember exactly. I sort of blocked it all out. I can't deal with the increases! We can't afford them.

Yes I have been having nightmares about it.  But I went on Healthcare.gov and did a 'preview of plans' and it seems to me we will be getting a higher subsidy to deal with the higher premiums.

So check that out.  Kaiser foundation will have 2017 info up tomorrow.

• Like 1

Nope. Self-pay. We'd pay less in a year than what the plans would cost us.

what does this mean? That you carry no health insurance and pay for all things yourself? Or that you're in a health pool of self payers? Or something else?
  • Like 1

This is a link to all the NPR articles on health care, but there are a few that specifically discuss the rate hikes:

http://www.npr.org/tags/126952399/health-insurance

Thank you.

I hear a lot on the news about the rates going up but nothing about subsidies going up.  Everyone really has to do their own research so as not to panic needlessly.

• Like 1

My plan will no longer be available.  (For the 3rd year in a row.)

I was able to preview available plans and the very few they're offering me are cheaper than our current one, but they're absolute crap for a family of 7 with minor health issues and a fair number of emergencies, historically.

We will have to look outside of the site for better, more expensive options in order to lower our financial risk, but BC won't give me quotes until tomorrow.

• Like 1

Nope.  Self-pay.  We'd pay less in a year than what the plans would cost us.

Unless you are in a car crash.  My bills topped $350,000, hubby was almost $150,000.  Without insurance we'd now be homeless (accident caused by uninsured motorist with no assets).

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 7

Unless you are in a car crash.  My bills topped $350,000, hubby was almost $150,000.  Without insurance we'd now be homeless (accident caused by uninsured motorist with no assets).

Well, I hope you wouldn't give up your home over medical bills.  You might be bankrupt, but not homeless.  

I agree with you though...having insurance is no big deal until you really need it.  Dh needs a knee replacement....or one of us could get cancer.  

• Like 4

Thank you.

I hear a lot on the news about the rates going up but nothing about subsidies going up.  Everyone really has to do their own research so as not to panic needlessly.

Because it sounds scarier if they don't mention that subsidies are going up. 

But NPR has been very clear that that is the case. 

• Like 5

I will be renewing through the market place. My premium for my current plan is going about 15%. I will price compare tomorrow.

There are only 3 viable options in my state.

Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but how does one shop for health insurance in the marketplace? Do you look on-line? Just start calling different insurance companies? Start with an insurance company you already have and ask them how you can reduce your premiums?

I need to shop ours; DH has a cow about ours every month and if it goes up very much he will poop a gold brick. But I don't really have a strategy and feel like an incompetant dunce about this.

• Like 1

Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but how does one shop for health insurance in the marketplace? Do you look on-line? Just start calling different insurance companies? Start with an insurance company you already have and ask them how you can reduce your premiums?

I need to shop ours; DH has a cow about ours every month and if it goes up very much he will poop a gold brick. But I don't really have a strategy and feel like an incompetant dunce about this.

Unless you qualify for a subsidy shopping on the marketplace does not benefit you. One year I didn't qualify for a subsidy and just bought my policy through BCBS. Being tied up with the marketplace is a pain. I wouldn't do it unless I get a big subsidy.

Who do you use now?

• Like 2

Unless you qualify for a subsidy shopping on the marketplace does not benefit you. One year I didn't qualify for a subsidy and just bought my policy through BCBS. Being tied up with the marketplace is a pain. I wouldn't do it unless I get a big subsidy.

Who do you use now?

I'm with Care First, Blue Choice. I was assuming I could chamge parameters of our current plan (deductible, for example) to lower our premium. It is over $1600/month for our family of 5.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people who are opting for the penalty because they simply cannot afford the insurance. Cold reality for many.

We do Samaritan. Even those rates have gone up slightly.

We pay out of pocket for minor visits. Honestly we stay out of the doctor's office as much as possible.

• Like 5

I know a lot of people who are opting for the penalty because they simply cannot afford the insurance. Cold reality for many.

We do Samaritan. Even those rates have gone up slightly.

We pay out of pocket for minor visits. Honestly we stay out of the doctor's office as much as possible.

I know a few people who have chosen to pay the penalty. They don't get insurance through work and they can't afford it. We get insurance through DHs work and even though the premiums are less, the deductible is high. What good is affordable insurance if you can't actually afford to get health care? Unfortunately we hit our deductible every year. I know our state was one of the ones with huge premium increases. If people can even afford the premium, they won't have any money left over for the deductible so they still can't get health care.

• Like 7

Nevermind, I can't even.

We literally cannot afford insurance costs in our state. We were priced out of our plan over a year ago. I'm happy we have an alternative that allows us to actually eat and not face financial ruin.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Insurance is supposed to insure you don't go bankrupt in the event of an outrageously expensive medical need. Instead, the high premiums/deductibles/things not covered that used to be covered will soon insure that you will go bankrupt either way unless someone in the family makes a boatload of money. It makes no sense.

Insurance has NEVER ensured people don't go bankrupt due to medical need. 80% of bankruptcies due to medical expenses are people who have insurance.

• Like 9

Who do you use now?

Honestly, even if you qualify for a subsidy it often doesn't help. Right now, thankfully, I qualify for Medicaid because my spousal support is so low and I have one child dependent still.

But.....I adjusted things, just to see, and without the kid, I'd receive $347 a month in subsidy and the low-end plan was "only" $1200 a month with a $10,000 deductible. 

Ya. 'cause I can afford that! That's just about 1/2 of my child and spousal support payments.

Kris

• Like 1

Wow.  Not sure I should say more than that, but this is another thread that makes me glad Health Share works for us instead.  I can't fathom paying over $1000/month and still having a high deductible even with that.

I wish something similar worked for everyone - or that our country would finally get their act together and join the rest of the first world.

Basic health care needs to be a right, not a privilege.  People worry about rationing with single payer, but that's what's happening now - rationing by ability to pay - and with this method it's rationing even the most basic things - or causing bankruptcy.

I'm perfectly ok if taxes go up and health care becomes a right.  I take no consolation in the fact that we (personally) can get whatever we want at an affordable cost, but others can not due to costs.

• Like 9

We have employer sponsored. Currently we pay about $700/month in premiums. $5000 deductible/$12,000 out of pocket.

I am a little scared about next year's coats. They normally come out in October, but they have been slow this year. Most of the company is being encouraged to go on the other spouse's insurance because most open enrollments are happening now.

We don't qualify for subsidies in the open market because of the way that the company structures premiums....single policy premiums are low enough to not meet the threshold to allow us to qualify. But what we pay is no joke to us, and if our costs go up significantly, we will likely look into a med-sharing type deal.

• Like 2

I wish something similar worked for everyone - or that our country would finally get their act together and join the rest of the first world.

Basic health care needs to be a right, not a privilege.  People worry about rationing with single payer, but that's what's happening now - rationing by ability to pay - and with this method it's rationing even the most basic things - or causing bankruptcy.

I'm perfectly ok if taxes go up and health care becomes a right.  I take no consolation in the fact that we (personally) can get whatever we want at an affordable cost, but others can not due to costs.

The sad thing is the amount that the US pays out from taxes to cover just some of the people.  There's an awful lot of wastage.  If the US  spent 3/4 of what it spends overall now but on a less wasteful system, it could have the best healthcare in the world for everyone for much less money than it now spends

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_health_expenditure_per_capita#/media/File:OECD_health_expenditure_per_capita_by_country.svg

• Like 14

Insurance is supposed to insure you don't go bankrupt in the event of an outrageously expensive medical need. Instead, the high premiums/deductibles/things not covered that used to be covered will soon insure that you will go bankrupt either way unless someone in the family makes a boatload of money. It makes no sense.

I don't want to sound like I am defending the healthcare system because yes it is bad....but remember that Obamacare does have a family cap on yearly out of pocket. I think it is 12500. Most people won't go bancrupt over that amount. I mean it would totally suck! But it is an amount that could be paid off in most cases.

• Like 6

We have employer sponsored. Currently we pay about $700/month in premiums. $5000 deductible/$12,000 out of pocket.

I am a little scared about next year's coats. They normally come out in October, but they have been slow this year. Most of the company is being encouraged to go on the other spouse's insurance because most open enrollments are happening now.

We don't qualify for subsidies in the open market because of the way that the company structures premiums....single policy premiums are low enough to not meet the threshold to allow us to qualify. But what we pay is no joke to us, and if our costs go up significantly, we will likely look into a med-sharing type deal.

Is insurance just for the employee a lot less? I mean is that the premium that prohibits your family from qualifying for a subsidy? One year we were in that situation and I was told by healthcare.gov to apply seperately from my husband.....I still had to list household income but the premium for me met that percentage threshold that then allowed me to get a subsidy.

• Like 3

Honestly, even if you qualify for a subsidy it often doesn't help. Right now, thankfully, I qualify for Medicaid because my spousal support is so low and I have one child dependent still.

But.....I adjusted things, just to see, and without the kid, I'd receive $347 a month in subsidy and the low-end plan was "only" $1200 a month with a $10,000 deductible.

Ya. 'cause I can afford that! That's just about 1/2 of my child and spousal support payments.

Kris

Did you check 2017 rates and premiums? Subsidies are going up. I can't imagine you wouldn't qualify as a single person"...and don't forget you can count your child as a dependent if they are still,in school.

• Like 1

I have been watching news stories about this, on the TV news from the USA, and  reading online news stories, for a month or 2. The average rate increase will be 22 or 25 percent. The highest increase will be in Arizona, 116%

Those who get subsidies from the U.S. government to pay their premium will probably be OK. 

Those who do not qualify for subsidies, should, IMO, consult an Independent Insurance Agent who sells Medical/Health Insurance, to see if they can get a better plan for the same money. Or, a similar plan for less money.  

Gasp! Some of you pay what would amount to half our our income! I told people I was against the UNaffordable Care Act because I thought this is what would happen and they told me I was being alarmist. I'm afraid to even look at healthcare.gov now.

YOU wouldn't pay that much! It's set so that you pay on a sliding scale, basically, depending on your income. The rates people are quoting are before the subsidies. If you qualify for subsidies those go up as the premiums go up. So the out of pocket doesn't change much. 

• Like 4

Did you check 2017 rates and premiums? Subsidies are going up. I can't imagine you wouldn't qualify as a single person"...and don't forget you can count your child as a dependent if they are still,in school.

The plans, even with subsidies, aren't always affordable. We have remained self pay and even with that have not had to pay a fine. Using their calculator, the plans are unaffordable AND we don't qualify for Medicaid. We have fallen into some sort of healthcare abyss.

I looked last week. With subsidies, the plan is actually more affordable this year than it ever has been but dh is self-employed. His income can vary greatly. If I quote them his income and it falls, we would lose our insurance if it becomes unaffordable. If it goes up, we have to pay the subsidies back at tax time. I understand that but I really don't want and bill in the thousands at that point. If we could figure out how to go around the subsidies and pay full price to avoid this it becomes stupidly expensive given the fact the the premiums are so high, the deductibles ridiculous, and the plan basically is nothing more than catastrophic coverage. Plus, if we pay the premium, we can no longer afford to go to the doctor because it will be out of pocket until we meet that deductible.

• Like 5

Insurance for dh and me is going from $600 per month to $1116 per month.  That is for both of us.  $6000 deductible.

Crazy.

Good Lord.  How can anyone afford this?

I was watching the news this morning and a woman who makes $40,000 a year was interviewed. 

Her payment WITH the subsidy was now $900 a month, under the ridiculous increases.  Her subsidy was a whopping $200 against her $1,100 monthly payment.  That payment exceeds my mortgage payment, by the way. 

So once you account for taxes, this woman must pay basically half her income just for her health insurance, under penalty of law or she will be fined. 

Nothing like fining people too poor to afford health insurance they are forced to buy. 

What the hell?

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 10

YOU wouldn't pay that much! It's set so that you pay on a sliding scale, basically, depending on your income. The rates people are quoting are before the subsidies. If you qualify for subsidies those go up as the premiums go up. So the out of pocket doesn't change much. 

The subsidies are not large, from what I hear.

A woman on the news today said her subsidy was $200 on an $1,100 monthly charge. 

That really isn't enough to make a difference when you are low income. 

• Like 1

Wow.  Not sure I should say more than that, but this is another thread that makes me glad Health Share works for us instead.  I can't fathom paying over $1000/month and still having a high deductible even with that.

On the bolded, we agree.    And I'm really interested in looking into Health share plans. 

• Like 2

Kris

Wow, crazy. 

• Like 1

Good Lord. How can anyone afford this?

I was watching the news this morning and a woman who makes $40,000 a year was interviewed.

Her payment WITH the subsidy was now $900 a month, under the ridiculous increases. Her subsidy was a whopping $200 against her $1,100 monthly payment. That payment exceeds my mortgage payment, by the way.

So once you account for taxes, this woman must pay basically half her income just for her health insurance, under penalty of law or she will be fined.

Nothing like fining people too poor to afford health insurance they are forced to buy.

What the hell?

If her premiums are that high, she probably won't have to pay a fine. One of the exemptions is unaffordability. If coverage exceeds a certain percentage of income, you're exempt. Of course, then you don't have insurance.

• Like 1

If her premiums are that high, she probably won't have to pay a fine. One of the exemptions is unaffordability. If coverage exceeds a certain percentage of income, you're exempt. Of course, then you don't have insurance.

Well, sure.  But then if she escapes the fine, she still can't pay the bill if anything happens, God forbid. 

• Like 1

My boyfriend is self-employed and gets his insurance through the federal exchange (our state opted not to create their own).  His insurance went up for next year, but so did his subsidy.  I think he's paying about $10 a month more.   Before the affordable care act, he could never afford health insurance and so went without.   He is a big supporter of the ACA !!

I work for a small (<10 people) engineering firm.  The owner offers one basic plan and pays 50% of the cost.  My deductible and co-pays went up this year, but the monthly rate went down.  I rarely go to the doctor and only have one inexpensive monthly prescription so I'll probably end up saving a tiny about of money this year :)

The total cost of my plan (including employer contribution) is less than by boyfriends (minus the gov't subsidy), but his plan is overall "better" (i.e. smaller co-pay and deductible, and his plan covers some non-western treatments) so I'm a bit jealous of his plan ;)

• Like 3

My boyfriend is self-employed and gets his insurance through the federal exchange (our state opted not to create their own).  His insurance went up for next year, but so did his subsidy.  I think he's paying about $10 a month more.   Before the affordable care act, he could never afford health insurance and so went without.   He is a big supporter of the ACA !!

I work for a small (<10 people) engineering firm.  The owner offers one basic plan and pays 50% of the cost.  My deductible and co-pays went up this year, but the monthly rate went down.  I rarely go to the doctor and only have one inexpensive monthly prescription so I'll probably end up saving a tiny about of money this year :)

The total cost of my plan (including employer contribution) is less than by boyfriends (minus the gov't subsidy), but his plan is overall "better" (i.e. smaller co-pay and deductible, and his plan covers some non-western treatments) so I'm a bit jealous of his plan ;)

Good stories like this make me feel better about my premiums being so high.  My brother and wife have free coverage as well and since she is going through cancer right now the coverage has been a real blessing.  My niece was able to get free care while she went through nursing school.  Friends who have a small fence building business get free medical.  So I am very happy for the people who it benefits.

• Like 1

Well, I hope you wouldn't give up your home over medical bills. You might be bankrupt, but not homeless.

I agree with you though...having insurance is no big deal until you really need it. Dh needs a knee replacement....or one of us could get cancer.

Medical providers, including non-profit hospitals, can place leins against a house. Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1