Menu

Help, please! The boy has mono...

swimmermom3

We received a 4 am call from Sailor Dude this morning informing us he was on his way to urgent care.  He had coughed all night and his throat was raw.  They have diagnosed him with mono.

This is his first term at college and he is all the way across country.

What can we do to help from where we are?

The best urgent care could do was to give him some cough medicine and tell him he will be tired for several weeks.  For those of you with mono experience, what can he do to help the recovery process?

What is the best way to work with his professors?  He says he is in a fairly good position in his classes, having just finished a ten page paper and not having anything big on the schedule. He was told not to go to class today.   He really likes all of his professors and says they are very accessible, so I don't think talking with them will be an issue.  It is less than two months until finals.  Any advice or encouragement you have for managing classes with mono would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by swimmermom3

Sorry he is so sick. When my Dd had mono, it was the accompanying issues that were concerning. Her spleen was enlarged and she was severely jaundiced. He should not participate in any contact sports where he could receive any injury (Dd was figure skating and she had to wait until given permission to get back on the ice.)

He needs to give himself permission to sleep.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 2

When I was a senior in high school my boyfriend got it.   He didn't have time to stop and rest between being a senior and he'd just joined the reserves.  Shortly before he got mono, my parents, grandparents and I had to get a Gamma Globulin shot because we ate a restaurant that forced a sick worker to work, and he had hepatitis.   I did some research and it said that sometimes a Gamma Globulin shot can help people get over mono quicker.   It seemed to work for him.  I also didn't get mono, although we did kiss all the time.  

This is one article that I found just now. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/20721406_Gamma_globulin_therapy_for_chronic_mononucleosis_syndrome

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear this! Hope he recovers quickly.

What is the best way to work with his professors?  He says he is in a fairly good position in his classes, having just finished a ten page paper and not having anything big on the schedule. He was told not to go to class today.   He really likes all of his professors and says they are very accessible, so I don't think talking with them will be an issue.  It is less than two months until finals.  Any advice or encouragement you have for managing classes with mono would be greatly appreciated.

1. He should inform his professors as soon as possible and let them know that this means he may have to miss classes for a longer period of time. He may be too sick to turn in assignments on time. He should ask them for suggestions what he could do to stay on top of the material. Generally, smaller classes have more flexibility than large ones. Being in good standing now will ensure good will on the instructors' part.

2. He should make an appointment with Disability Support Services and inquire whether his illness would qualify him for temporary accommodations in the form of extra time on tests. The case worker/student advocate will work with him.

3. He also should read up on the school's policies for a grade of Incomplete. An Incomplete is given to students who are in good standing but cannot finish the semester for medical reasons. A plan is worked out with each instructor to decide what assignments/tests the student still has to complete; the student has a semester or a year to complete what was agreed upon. Any work done up to now will be counted - so this is different from withdrawing, because there you start from zero again and have to pay tuition again. With an Incomplete, the clock is simply stopped. I hope he recovers quickly,  but this may be an option to keep in mind - and it would take the pressure off to return to class quickly.

Best wishes!

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 10

Oh, I'm so sorry. I had mono and strep throat simultaneously in college and it wasn't fun. Mostly I just slept. That's all I could do for quite awhile, but he might have a milder case. Easy food, like canned soup or ramens with frozen veggies can be a lifesaver when you have no energy (if he has a kitchen it can be easier than walking to the cafeteria). 

My DS is also first-semester college and has had to deal with a broken hand that needed surgery and our insurance wouldn't cover out of state. So, he's had to fly back and forth several times for both the surgery and the follow-ups. He's missed quite a bit of school because of it. Then he got sick. I thought it was from stress, but his roommates were all passing it around. I Amazoned some good supplements to DS in order to build his immune system. Vicks vapor rub (or Doterra Breathe oil) on the feet at bedtime can be helpful if he has a cough.

My DS has had to drop one class (coding) because everything (typing, showering, etc...)  is taking so long to do one handed. DS had a couple of profs who would work with him, and some that are almost unreachable with TAs who won't give any leeway. He'll have to retake it next semester.

Sounds like your DS doesn't have that problem, but he should be prepared for just being tired and schedule in extra time to complete everything. I remember the first time I was feeling better after having mono. I got dressed and was driving to meet a friend when I realized that I had used all my energy just getting ready, haha! I had to turn around and go back home.

I wish him a speedy recovery!

• Like 1

Sounds like your DS doesn't have that problem, but he should be prepared for just being tired and schedule in extra time to complete everything. I remember the first time I was feeling better after having mono. I got dressed and was driving to meet a friend when I realized that I had used all my energy just getting ready, haha! I had to turn around and go back home.

I remember once when I was in college, my Dad and I got flu right before my grandparents visited from out of state.  At the end of their week-long visit.  We were feeling pretty good (or so we thought).   So, we went to a restaurant.   Sitting upright-ish was seriously hard work!  I remember being happy we were in a booth because we couldn't fall out of our chairs.  

• Like 1

I recommend you send him to student health so they can document his illness. This is in case any questions arise with professors. If it comes to it, the school will have a withdrawal policy for medical reasons. Following that procedure will be crucial as it will result in W grades instead of F grades, which he would get if he were unable to complete assignments.

• Like 4

I am so sorry to hear this news :(

I had mono at the very end of spring semester my freshman year, sent home and exempted from finals (!) because I had a 4.0. I was pretty sick and was not allowed to work until mid-July.

Ds had mono junior year of high school. He had finished finals and had taken the June ACT. He slept for 10 days or so, appearing periodically for food.

• Like 1

DS17 recently had mono.  He was miserable for two weeks and recovered fairly quickly.  For a couple more weeks, he did need naps and 10-12 hours of sleep each night.

He only had one University class; he did all of his work from home.  A couple of times, he tried to go to class.  Bad idea in hindsight, he said.  But he has to travel for hours on school days.

Hopefully, your ds recovers quickly.  It is no fun; it was awful to watch.

DS cancelled his China trip, because he was afraid he would be too ill.  He regrets that decision, as he would have been just fine.  :)  I wish your ds the same luck!

• Like 1

Oh Lisa! So sorry you are having to worry about him from all the way across the country.

I had mono in college, and remember it lasting 6 full weeks. I'd just collapse and have to sleep, but otherwise was able to hang in there for the most part through my classes and work.

I agree to tell all the profs and see what other support there is on campus. Poor guy! Poor mom!

• Like 1

Oh, that stincks.  I got mono most of my last semester at university, and it was diagnosed and I had to leave school during final exams. 

My only advice would be to really take some time off to get well, because otherwise it can stick around and get worse and losing the year becomes more likely.  I ended up having to go to the hospital and have intravenous steroids.  I only just came in under the wire to submit my papers with an extension, and they weren't very good.  I think I only had reasonable marks on them because my profs were being kind.

I also had to get my mom to call them and make the arrangements, because I lost my voice and was pretty out of it.  It was a little embarrassing.

My sister lost a whole semester of high school from mono. 

• Like 2

Oh Lisa! So sorry you are having to worry about him from all the way across the country.

I had mono in college, and remember it lasting 6 full weeks. I'd just collapse and have to sleep, but otherwise was able to hang in there for the most part through my classes and work.

I agree to tell all the profs and see what other support there is on campus. Poor guy! Poor mom!

I had mono in college my first term. I was in bed for 2 weeks and had to have friends bring me sous and easy to eat foods. I was able to get extensions on my work (huge university in the days before email. I don't even remember how I did that. ) I had another illness in a later term very close to finals and was able to take an incomplete in a couple of classes. I was able to finish up at the beginning of the next term.

Definitely make sure it is documented and see what other supports the school has in place.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am so sorry, and I hope that your son recovers quickly. Like the previous posters have mentioned, he will need to sleep a lot for possibly several months. I had mono my sophomore year in college, and I remember distinctly falling asleep in classes throughout that semester. Although I was embarrassed by it, my professors were very understanding. 

• Like 1

I do not have experience with having mono, but as a college prof I have had a number of students who have had mono over the years.  The impact on the student and the recovery time seems to very greatly--for some it was equivalent to having the flu for a couple of days, others have been sick longer. 

He should find out how things are handled on his campus.  Sometimes it will be through Health Services, Student Services, or Dean of Students.  This office will be able to help him navigate the process should he end up being sick for a longer period of time and have to take an incomplete in a class or classes.  He should contact each professor as soon as possible to let them know what is going on, but whichever campus office handles these issues can also email all of his professors and let them know from an official office.  Hopefully, he can get some rest and recover quickly, but the student service office can be a central location to contact profs and handle details if he ends up being too sick and contacting multiple people becomes too draining in the short run.         

• Like 2

As someone else said, mono is so individual.  If it is present without any other complications, then with rest, it can be cured fairly easily.  But it can be hairy.  I'm still chronically ill 30 years after first having mono.  But (and this is a big but!) I had severe complications that had me one step from the hospital even at that time.  :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

I hope your son is getting rest and the professors are understanding.

My daughter is sleeping tonight at health services with 103 fever. Waiting to see doctor in morning to see if she has flu.

She has a big exam on Friday and she emailed the teacher who immediately responded she could postpone it for several days.

I am 2000 miles away and know how helpless you must feel.

• Like 3

So sorry to hear that your son is sick.  Somewhere on the internet (possible www.earthclinic.com) I read that coconut oil helps persons recover significantly faster.   Either he could spread it on bread or mix it in instant oatmeal or put it in a cup of hot chocolate.  Many use coconut oil for all sorts of physical problems -- antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, etc.  I pray that he has a mild case of it.

My son had mono last semester. 

He sent an FYI email to each of his professors explaining that he had mono and that he was going to do his best to keep up with assignments and attend class, but...... just in case his class participation seems lacking - this is why.

Luckily, his classes were all in the afternoons so he got to sleep 10-12 hours straight each day.

Since he was so foggy mind-wise, he gave me the password to his student account so I could access his syllabus (syllabi ??) for his classes.  I made a calendar with showing when the rest of his assignment were due and emailed it (with reminders) to him.   This really helped him stay focused when so sick with not only mono, but strep throat and a knee injury (crutches) from a varsity mens' crew team competition. 

On the down side, he had to stop crew.  On the bright side, he ended up getting his highest GPA that semester!  Go figure!

Myra

• Like 1

My son had mono last semester. 

He sent an FYI email to each of his professors explaining that he had mono and that he was going to do his best to keep up with assignments and attend class, but...... just in case his class participation seems lacking - this is why.

Luckily, his classes were all in the afternoons so he got to sleep 10-12 hours straight each day.

Since he was so foggy mind-wise, he gave me the password to his student account so I could access his syllabus (syllabi ??) for his classes.  I made a calendar with showing when the rest of his assignment were due and emailed it (with reminders) to him.   This really helped him stay focused when so sick with not only mono, but strep throat and a knee injury (crutches) from a varsity mens' crew team competition. 

On the down side, he had to stop crew.  On the bright side, he ended up getting his highest GPA that semester!  Go figure!

Myra

Hope is feeling better. He does need to follow up with on campus health services so they can monitor him. I had mono in college, and I had complications. By nature, I am not a good sleeper, and mono demands sleep. He needs to sleep and eat soft foods as the sore throat can be rough, and drink a lot of water. Maybe you can send him vitamins and instant soup or something in a care package. (I had to drop one class, mostly because it was at the far of end of campus and I could not walk that far, so he might want to look at his schedule)

I  want to thank you all for the terrific support and advice. I hope to finish going through it today. I am working between the dying computer and the new one that has a glitch in the set up, so I am slower than usual.

I was able to find an internist with experience in treating adolescents about a half mile from campus and ds will see him on Monday.  He is running a fever and his throat is so sore that talking and eating are very painful.  We told him to head back to urgent care over the weekend if needed. The new doctor will work with our pediatrician here. We decided it was in Sailor Dude's best interests to have a primary care doctor while there.  It can take weeks to see anyone in the student health center. 

Shortly after getting everything set this morning with Sailor Dude - I was feeling like a nag - word came in that one of the university's students had died last night as the result of a medical emergency.  That was followed by the news of the stabbings at Rutgers. 

Please hold our young people in your hearts and perhaps give an extra dose of encouragement and support to those near and dear to you.

• Like 5

Sailor Dude went to see his new internist today. They took one look at his throat and asked him how he could breathe.  He has a prescription for a cough syrup with codeine which should help him to sleep and tomorrow he will pick up his steroid prescription.

He spoke with the Dean of Students who strongly advised that he come home this weekend and stay through Thanksgiving weekend. He would work remotely.

While I agree this move would be best for his health, how would that work for his academics?  I can't imagine missing three weeks of college classes. However, he does have plenty of experience doing classwork remotely. :tongue_smilie:

Does anyone have experience with this kind of arrangement?

What do the professors and adjuncts think about this kind of arrangement realistically?

• Like 1

He spoke with the Dean of Students who strongly advised that he come home this weekend and stay through Thanksgiving weekend. He would work remotely.

While I agree this move would be best for his health, how would that work for his academics?  I can't imagine missing three weeks of college classes. However, he does have plenty of experience doing classwork remotely. :tongue_smilie:

Does anyone have experience with this kind of arrangement?

What do the professors and adjuncts think about this kind of arrangement realistically?

A student who is really ill will not get much work done when he is on campus either. He should certainly not attend classes. I imagine a student living in a dorm has a harder time recovering from serious illness than a student who can be home with parents who take care of him.

No matter whether he stays or comes home, academic work will be hard. If I had a student who was strongly advised to move home for a few weeks of illness, I would try to work with the student by accepting emailed homework, emailing in class handouts, setting up quizzes online, and rescheduling exams. I would encourage your son to contact his instructors and explain that he has been strongly advised to go home for recovery and ask them how he could make it work. And, again, he should investigate the rules for an Incomplete. He can still keep up with his work as far as he is able, but taking the incomplete would allow him to finish this semester's work, including exams, during the spring. This can take pressure off so he can take whatever time is needed to get well.

An open discussion with the instructors is his best course of action.

Sending best wishes.

ETA: I had a student give birth in the middle of a semester. We worked around it, and she passed the class with a good grade.

I had a student who could not ever make it to class because of her work schedule, and we designed an independent study course for her. She got an A.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 10

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Great suggestions up thread.  I just wanted to emphasize that he MUST rest.  A girl in our local homeschooling group took a week off when she was diagnosed with mono then tried to return to a normal schedule after that week.  She got much worse and was in bad shape for over a month and a half more.  It was her senior year of High School and it made it very hard for her.

• Like 2

I hope your son is getting rest and the professors are understanding.

My daughter is sleeping tonight at health services with 103 fever. Waiting to see doctor in morning to see if she has flu.

She has a big exam on Friday and she emailed the teacher who immediately responded she could postpone it for several days.

I am 2000 miles away and know how helpless you must feel.

How is your daughter doing now? I am glad her teacher was so understanding. That has been my son's experience as well.

How is your daughter doing now? I am glad her teacher was so understanding. That has been my son's experience as well.

Thankfully she did not have the flu.

She spent one night in health services then several more days feeling awful with laryngitis. This actually was a 2 week illness (started week prior) and just took forever to shake.

She decided not to postpone one test, took it and didn't do as well as she normally would. Freak out ensued, lesson learned. Even the teacher thought she should have taken a few extra days.

• Like 1

Is he on his way home?

I don't know. Dh has found a flight out of town on Friday after ds's last class, but it takes some time on ds's end to make sure it is okay with all of his professors. Today is his biggest class day starting at 8:10am and ending at 5:20pm with that last class being a 3 hour physics lab.  I doubt he'll get much organizing done, but hopefully he'll have it together enough to talk to the three professors he sees today.

Wednesdays are light days for most students as they are encouraged to go downtown and take advantage of all that is offered, so may be we'll have a definite answer by then. We really need to get those tickets though if that's what he wants to do. It's a difficult decision and ultimately his to make. 

The mom part of me wants to have him home. The educator part of me is freaked out by being off campus for two weeks, but regentrude made some great points. 

I could really do without an adult child crisis for a month or two. Kind of a mini vacation, you know. 

• Like 8

Is he on his way home?

He arrives late this Friday night and will return to school the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  His professors seem to be wonderfully supportive as has the Dean of Students. I know he must really feel bad because he stayed in the dorm on election night and his roomies brought video back of the campus reaction and the area around the White House.  He is definitely the kid who'd be out in the middle of it all if he felt good enough.

The physics professor discouraged him from taking an incomplete in any of his classes if at all possible.

• Like 9

He arrives late this Friday night and will return to school the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  His professors seem to be wonderfully supportive as has the Dean of Students. I know he must really feel bad because he stayed in the dorm on election night and his roomies brought video back of the campus reaction and the area around the White House.  He is definitely the kid who'd be out in the middle of it all if he felt good enough.

The physics professor discouraged him from taking an incomplete in any of his classes if at all possible.

He is so fortunate to have supportive professors!  I have heard horror stories of students with illnesses or injuries who ended up penalized.  Glad he will be home and hope he's back to normal soon.  

• Like 2

Her experience had been that the students were caught up in the new semester and didn't come back and finish their incomplete.

That wasn't the impression I got from this thread.

In my experience, this is often the case.  I would say that about 1/2 of the students I have had who receive an Incomplete either never finish their incomplete or do poorly in the class.  Sometimes the underlying reason for why the student took an incomplete is never resolved.  Other times, the student just gets busy and keeps putting off completing the class.  Like most things in life, the longer something is put off, the harder it is to get back into it. 

That said, I have had students who have taken an incomplete for various reasons and who have done extremely well in my class.  It really takes having a plan for resolving the incomplete.  If he takes an incomplete in ALL classes, he may want to take a reduced load in the spring to have time to complete the work.  Also, he will want to know exactly what the requirements for removing an incomplete are at his university.  At some universities, students have a month to complete the course; other universities give the student an entire semester.  At some universities, failure to complete the work will result in an F; at others, it will result in the student receiving the grade that would have resulted if all incomplete work received a 0 (which could be a passing, but low grade); at other schools an unresolved incomplete remains an incomplete on the transcript indefinitely. 

• Like 3

Her experience had been that the students were caught up in the new semester and didn't come back and finish their incomplete.

That wasn't the impression I got from this thread.

Yes, that does happen frequently - with students who use the Incomplete in lieu of dropping the class. Most students who take this route are not actually doing well in their course prior to the event that allowed them to take the Incomplete.

I would have no qualms about recommending an Incomplete to a strong student who has taken his studies seriously until he got sick.

• Like 3

He texted at 10:30pm their time as he was standing outside for an hour for yet again another fire alarm.

There appears to be an immature joker in their hall who gets his jollies by pulling the fire alarm on a fairly regular basis. I think he said it's been 11 alarms in 40 days. Often, they are on Saturday nights at 2:30am, but school nights are also fair game.

The school says there is nothing they can do about it.  Cameras in the halls would apparently violate the students privacy.

This is the second one while he's been feverish. One night, they went off twice. 

He's really looking forward to uninterrupted sleep.

How very frustrating for him, Lisa, and for the others on his hall.

He's really looking forward to uninterrupted sleep.

I bet he is.  I hope he'll soon be resting comfortably at home and that his recuperation will go smoothly.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1