Menu

"My French teacher was actually named Mrs. French," and other people we knew with names like that.

J-rap

My grandmother had a friend who had a daughter named Hooker.  Only it wasn't spelled that way.  It was spelled like Huiker or something like that, but it was pronounced like the occupation.  

Her mother insisted that it was an old Dutch family name, and that she was celebrating her heritage as one of the descendants of the original Dutch settlers of Manhattan.  My grandmother, who named her own children after puritan ancestors, was very impressed by this, and would boast about knowing a person with such a distinguished history.  

I do not believe that she actually worked in the related profession, although I could be wrong.

• Like 2

Also, the doctor who took out my wisdom teeth was named Dr. Slaughter, and my daughter's speech therapist was named Mrs. Speaker.

I know a Nurse Slaughter. Her husband was the Pastor of our church!

I had a classmate named Crystal Waters. Her mom drew the line at using Clear for her middle name...

• Like 1

One of my children was delivered by a Dr. Apgar.

My OBGYN with my youngest was Dr. Apgar. There is a funeral home owned by the Buriers. They are in partnership with the Queens. So, its Burier-Queen. For real.

My grandmother's middle name was Mae. When she got married for the second time, she married Reverand May. So, Elsie Mae May. :D

My maiden name was French. In school, the next person on the school roster alphabetically was Jeff Frye. So, for graduation practice, as they called our last names only for line up, it was "...French...Frye..." Even the principle got a giggle out of that.

• Like 7

I also went to school with a guy names Randy Chestnuts.

I know of a missionary by this name!

OB/GYN  Dr. Seymour

Not related to a profession, but Crystal Junk--Junk was a married name. Interestingly, she was widowed young and remarried, and both her husbands had the same first name.

• Like 2

It would be spelled Ura

My grandmother's name was Ura (but her last name was not Hogg)

The Hogg Sisters, Ima and Ura. It was a joke!

My parents had a bishop whose last name was Bishop. Bishop Bishop.

I know a woman named Crystal whose last name sounds like meth. I don't want to say what her last name is, but it sounds like you're saying Crystal Meth when you say her name. She and her husband didn't realize until after they got married what it would do to her name. 

I know another Crystal whose last name is Payne and she's a nurse.

We knew a farmer whose last name was Barnes.

Chiropractor named Dr. Schmall (very German accent too).

• Like 1

My 8th grade history teacher was Mr. Cary. His wife's first name: karie. She was a math teacher. Her name sign said cary^2 after she heard us calling her that.

I went to school with a family surnamed Berry. I'm not joking. The girls were named Kerry (my class), Blue, and Sherry.

Hey! I went to school with two sisters whose last name was Berry. They were Heather and Holly.

I also know a family with the surname of Little. Everyone in the family, male and female, is over six feet tall.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 3

Dentist office. Howell & Payne (yes that was their names).

I watched a TV show with people with names like these, and Ima Hogg was on it. So was Ura Belcher (married name). And a couple of people that were named Santa Claus.

I heard about a family, but it was probably a joke. Couple was Bill and Pag. Last name.... Board. Supposedly ran with the family name and named their son Clip.

I had also heard of Bishop Bishop.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 3