Menu

"My French teacher was actually named Mrs. French," and other people we knew with names like that.

J-rap

Also, the doctor who took out my wisdom teeth was named Dr. Slaughter, and my daughter's speech therapist was named Mrs. Speaker.

A partner at my uncle's medical clinic was named Dr. Gesundheit! 

A classmate of mine growing up was named Rusty Gates.  :)

• Like 1

Also, the doctor who took out my wisdom teeth was named Dr. Slaughter, and my daughter's speech therapist was named Mrs. Speaker.

A partner at my uncle's medical clinic was named Dr. Gesundheit! 

A classmate of mine growing up was named Rusty Gates.   :)

Knew a chaplain named Karen Chaplin.

• Like 2

I met a guy named Graham Golden. But when I met him I was creating his student ID which has his last name listed first so I saw it as Golden, Graham. I looked up from the form with an amused looked and his reply to my expression was, "yup, you read it right.'

• Like 2

Huh...I pronounce Stich and Stitch exactly the same.

I wonder if I'm odd.

Maybe it's pronounced steech with a guttural ch like in loch?

My grandma insisted that she went to school with a sister and brother named Rosie and Harry Butts, but I could never tell if she was serious of not. 

• Like 3

Maybe it's pronounced steech with a guttural ch like in loch?

My grandma insisted that she went to school with a sister and brother named Rosie and Harry Butts, but I could never tell if she was serious of not. 

Ohhh I just looked up the pronunciation.  It's "stish" for Stich.  (short i)

That didn't occur to me, but that makes some sense.

• Like 1

Then there's the old tall tale about the Hogg sisters, whose first names were "Ima" and "Youra."

There really was an Ima Hogg. But she didn't have a sister, so there was no "Ura." https://tshaonline.org/publications/books/31531

My mom had a neighbor named Harry Furry.

ETA: Kinsa, great minds think alike! I knew about Ima, because she was a member of my sorority.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 3

We have a friend in the Air Force with the last name Paine. We met him when he was a Major!

Our Bishop when we were newlyweds was named Bispo, which is Bishop is Portuguese, so basically Bishop Bishop.

My sister, also in the Air Force, knew a Major Paine! Wonder if it was the same guy?