Menu

Exercise help for dh

LAmom

Wondering if anyone has info/experience with Crossfit or cycling? My dh has a bday next month. His doctor wants him to get into cycling classes. The one nearby seems like mostly women. I've heard some good things about Crossfit. Is it just strength training? Any ideas or recommendations? He does not exercise and needs to lose at least 50 more pounds. Exercise is key now as he isn't really losing anymore with diet change. I thought maybe a personal trainer or some specific class to sign him up for?? I don't know.

Cross fit can be great, but ask around about your local one first, to find out what the vibe is.  People don't need to hurt themselves doing Crossfit, but it happens at some gyms where people get too competitive, or the vibe is to push too hard.  Others are great about teaching new comers to pace themselves and work on mastering the skills first.

OK.  So sounds like Crossfit may not be a fit.  He will not do it on his own at home, I don't think. P90X is something you do alone at home, correct?  Where do I find a trainer?  YMCA or some place else?  Any thoughts on cycling?

OK. So sounds like Crossfit may not be a fit. He will not do it on his own at home, I don't think. P90X is something you do alone at home, correct? Where do I find a trainer? YMCA or some place else? Any thoughts on cycling?

P90X is at home. You could do it with him. I'd ask your friends for a trainer recommendation. No experience cycling.

If he doesn't have a history of exercising and isn't going to enjoy it, I'd say the very best thing you could give him is a commitment to exercise with him, either at home or in a gym. An outdoor exercise class might be more pleasant than a gym. I signed up for one with a friend and really enjoyed it - it was a large group, so I felt nicely anonymous and because I had someone depending on me to be there, I actually went. At the end of the 8 week, twice a week programme my friend and I continued to meet 3 times a week to run at a nearby park. At first we were doing 10 sets of run for 30 sec walk for 30 sec, 6 months later we're running for two sets of 8 minutes. The point is that we're still doing it. Exercise needs to work with your personality, so focus less on the exercise itself, and more on the other stuff - where and who and how many etc. to find something he'll enjoy and stick to.

• Like 2

Stair climber and treadmill at the gym.  He's got to get in cardio to lose those pounds and can focus on strength training when he's lost most of the weight.  Work up a goal to 100 flights of stairs.  Walk 1/4 of a mile and then run 1/4 of a mile on the treadmill.  Keep doing that for a couple of miles.

Crossfit is hardcore 

If you think your Dh wouldn't enjoy the doctor's suggestions try to work together to find some that he will enjoy.  You don't want to start something you/he can't continue because that will lead to feeling worse about his weight, and likely even lead to more weight gain. 

Can you find something you can all enjoy as a family. Perhaps go swimming at a indoor pool once a week. 

Can you find some inexpensive or cheap work out equipment and start a show you both enjoy with the point being to work out while you watch. 

Try out a dancing, bowling, archery, or while any type of class. It doesn't even have to involve physical activity at it's core. 

I think you/he should start small and go with things you/he has a good chance of maintaining long term. 

• Like 2

I do crossfit and I love it, but it depends on the gym. He could try it and sees what he thinks. Crossfit is truly for everyone; for kids to grandparents to those overweight, and even the handicapped. If it is a good gym with good coaches, they will help you work at your level and teach proper form so you don't hurt yourself. It is strength and cardio. I love it bc I have great coaches that are patient with me and work with me. We all work out together and cheer each other. I've become best friends with the people at my gym, which makes it even more fun and motivating. None of us are super athletes, just moms and dads and grandparents and kids all doing our best. I'm in the best shape of my life right now and I love working out, whereas before it was always a chore. I'm strong and I'm getting stronger. Ive experienced some pretty awesome results bc of crossfit.

Edited by Heidi
  • Like 1

I say NO to cross fit. It is all about reps and workouts and time without taking care of your body. Unless you already have good form and can maintain form, this is NOT something I would recommend. Crossfit is a very aerobic workout but still very strength based -- definitely not just lifting weights... more like lifting weights non-stop for an hour. The workout will also change depending on the gym.

Do you have a local gym? A rec park? There are almost always some 'fun' classes. Lots of times they are filled with women, but we usually welcome anyone :) Seriously ask around at the local gym or whatever and see if there are some aerobic classes.

P90x is great if you're self-disciplined and don't want to leave the home. It can be a good cardio... to lose weight cardio is most important.

I'd say no to water aerobics -- if you can swim, you'll get a much better workout.

Cycling is a bit more dangerous than spin class... and a lot more fun I would think.

---

If weight loss is most important, then I would recommend  routine.  Its too easy to skip out on workouts if you don't have accountability.  That's why classes are so great. Or having an accountability partner.

Edited by HomeMum
  • Like 1

I'd recommend walking an hour / day and tweaking calories down again. If you've plateaued, you usually need to adjust calories down.  Take off another 200-300 cal/day from the diet plan.  
That is the sucky part of losing weight. Your 'reward' is that you get to eat the same to maintain & even less if you want to keep losing. 

• Like 1

I would think a bike would be more fun than cycling classes.

Agree. My dh bought a mountain bike and just started riding. He has found some people from his work that also ride so sometimes they ride together. He linked on to Strava which measures the ride, average speed etc and so even when not riding with others he can compete against himself by improving speed and comparing distances and elevations etc which, apparently, is somewhat 'important' to the guys 😉. So, it does bring a certain level of accountability and challenge. It's actually quite incredible how many people are into cycling - it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone to ride with. My dh's fitness level has increased out of sight since he took up cycling. Edited by LindaOz

Wow.  So much hating on crossfit.  LOL    I am not a crossfit member but do drop in to classes from time to time.  If there is a good gym near you, you could always drop in to a class and check it out.     There is something to be said for the group atmosphere.   There is no need to kill yourself in the workouts.   I always use less weight than I could do, run a little slower, row a little slower, pull a little less high and frankly no one cares.  Like any workout schema, you have to do just enough work to get an effect, but not so much you can't come back to the table the next day.    Our gym has people of all ages and sizes and is very supportive and encouraging.  

• Like 1

To each his own, but here's a good summary of why many of us avoid Crossfit:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/erin-simmons/why-i-dont-do-crossfit_b_5411771.html

As a middle-aged gym rat myself, I do a mix of classes and my own weight routines. It's worked very well for me despite still being overweight. My gym has two particular trainers who are middle-aged themselves who have helped me with figuring out what works for my particular challenges. I've done small group and one-on-one sessions with both of them at times to make sure my technique is good and to figure out modifications. I need professionals involved in my exercise program. If you can get into a situation like that, it makes a big difference.

• Like 2

Doctors aren't experts in nutrition or fitness, there is nothing magic about cycling or Crossfit. I would have your dh pick something that he thinks he will enjoy(or sounds the least horrible and go with that). Find a way to make it part of the routine and a support system so he keeps going. All the better if you can do it with him. Or if he can find some kind of program that he likes being with a group with some accountability does help you stay focused. I like working out at home and do that but I like classes too. My movement is a blend of classes, home workouts and natural movement. 

(I did Crossfit on my own for a couple of years maybe then finally tried out a gym when one got within 2 hrs drive. My issue is the amount of training and knowledge varies widely and some exercises are just no good(kipping) and pushing for time on movements that should be performed for form is a good way to injure yourself. I think it is fine if you have a good gym that doesn't push and personal knowledge to avoid doing dangerous things but I think it is a very bad idea for a newbie.

I did spinning way back when after baby #1 and I got in shape but I think it is hard on the body(and men have to watch the goods). These days we do some riding for fun but it isn't the main focus.)

Coincidentally I just read this article this morning about reasons you aren't exercising consistently and found it to be spot on-

to sum it up-- 

1- inertia is winning- changes are hard

2- comparing yourself to others

3-you are aiming at perfection

4-you are not using objective measures of progress

5-your expectations aren't helping you

I've been guilty of all of those. For me the big thing is finding something I enjoy. And exercise is not something to click off of my list, the goal is not doing it. I've got so many reasons why I want to do it, the more reasons you have the more motivated you are to keep with it. The easier you make it to get done the more likely you are to do it. Build it into you day, cut whatever else needs to go. Try out different things, don't be afraid to quit something you don't like but make sure to find something else to go into first.

Edited by soror

Your DH needs to be *very* careful so that he does not overdo it and have a Heart Attack. He is extremely obese if he needs to lose 50 pounds.  If you lived here (Colombia) he could go to a good gym, where they have a doctor who works there, and where they have trainers who have university degrees in Physical Education or something related. They would plan which exercises he can/should do and how many of them.  

Many years ago, when we lived in the previous house, and had much more income, we went to a nearby gym like that.  I remember one woman who was extremely obese. The Trainer watched her like a hawk. I remember her walking, *very* slowly.

I have seen Spinning Classes in gyms in the USA on TV many times. IMO, that might be fatal to your DH.  You want to try to avoid that.

We live in a large rural subdivision where it is quite flat and I ride my bicycle here and to/from town.

My belief is that the 2 best exercises for general health are swimming and bicycling.

Again, I think a Spinning class might be very dangerous for your DH.  This will require a combination of diet and exercise and patience.   Good luck to him!

Cross fit can be great, but ask around about your local one first, to find out what the vibe is. People don't need to hurt themselves doing Crossfit, but it happens at some gyms where people get too competitive, or the vibe is to push too hard. Others are great about teaching new comers to pace themselves and work on mastering the skills first.

Ditto. I loved Crossfit at our local box. They met everyone where they were physically, worked hard to make sure proper form is used 100% of the time but were extremely motivating. The people there ranged from out of shape/overweight to competitive fitness levels. They also required a beginner's class (6 weeks of learning form) before you could join in with the regular WOD. I wish we could still afford for me to go. BUT the box does make a huge difference in safety and enjoyablity.

Ideally anything he'll actually stick with.  If you both get a gym membership, you can go together (although looking at the ages of your kids I can understand how that might not be possible now).  You can start off simply by getting on any machine.  When it gets easier and you go longer, then pursue the fancy stuff if desired.  Start off with 2-3 times per week.  In the beginning even 15 minutes is ok because at first it'll be difficult.  And I do not see why it HAS to be a cycling class in particular. 

Jumping into craziness right off the bat is a sure way to hurt yourself, get frustrated, and quit.

I agree that many cross fit places are not well staffed enough to prevent injury. 

A subscription to BeachBody on Demand would be great, (no, I don't sell beach body, I just like the incredible amount of variety on there). Or a regular gym membership, with maybe a few sessions with a trainer. (although I'm not really happy with any of the trainers I've used...a book on how to work out might be better really)

Your DH needs to be *very* careful so that he does not overdo it and have a Heart Attack. He is extremely obese if he needs to lose 50 pounds.  

Again, I think a Spinning class might be very dangerous for your DH.  This will require a combination of diet and exercise and patience.   Good luck to him!

I don't think 50 lbs overweight = going to have a heart attack if you go to a spin class.  But this did give me a funny visual this morning.  

• Like 1

Any thoughts on cycling?

I personally really like cycling classes.  Cycling outdoors is nice in some ways (fresh air, possibly nice scenery) and maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I'd gotten into mountain biking.  But road biking is scary, because most drivers apparently just really don't care whether I live or die.  That just sucks all the potential fun right out of it.  In a spin class, however, the weather is always nice and there are no trucks trying to kill you.  So, yeah, it's better.  

The classes I have attended are always a pretty even mix of men and women, so I don't think your dh would feel out of place.  The personality of the instructors vary of course, but most of them are really energetic and fun.  Their choice in music might be the deciding factor between an instructor you love and one you don't care for as much.  :)  And here's the best part about a cycling class:  no matter what the instructor is doing (sprints, hills, etc.) YOU are the one in control of your own bike.  So on days when I'm feeling well, I follow along to the best of my ability, though I rarely turn up the resistance as high as the instructor does.  But on days when I'm not feeling well, I can just peddle along at my own pace, doing my own thing, but enjoying the music and the synergy that comes from being in a room full of exercising people.  Every instructor I've ever had encourages this, and in most of my classes, there is a rather frail looking elderly person or two who doesn't even attempt the sprints and hills and such, but just cycles slowly, apparently simply preferring to do it in a class with others rather than alone.  And I think that's one of the best things about it:  all fitness levels can do it!

That said, though, the key is for your husband to find a form of exercise that he will enjoy.  That's really what matters most, because most of us do not have the willpower to keep slogging through workouts that we hate.  He should try whatever interests him, there's nothing very special about his doctor's particular recommendations.

He is extremely obese if he needs to lose 50 pounds. 

Not necessarily. Depends on how the Doctor came to the figure of 50 pounds. It could 50 pounds to put him right in the middle of the normal range. Perhaps he is lucky and happens to have a bunch of muscle. Even when my Dh does no exercise and hasn't exercised for over a year he has calf muscles that look like they belong on a body builder. 

It also depends on height. My Dh is almost 6 foot 3. 50 pound on someone that tall isn't all that much. A doctor could look at just my husbands weight and height and say he has to loose 50 pounds. But he can run 5km in 30 minutes - and running isn't even his thing. 

• Like 2