Menu

Math U See with Cuisenaire Rods

SEGway

How frustrating would it be for a student to work with Math U See and have Cuisenaire Rods as the manipulatives instead of integer blocks?

Background: I'm trying to find strategies to help my SIL remediate my nephew. I'm looking at Math U See. (He has almost completely stalled out with MM.) We both have C-Rods, I'm not sure she'll be excited about springing for MUS blocks, too. So, I'm wondering if c-rods can be substituted. Bad idea?

I'm planning to purchase a used copy of Gamma DVD/student text from someone on the boards. A trial run, I guess, to see how it goes. Will attempting to use C-Rods make it so irritating to the student that he won't want to try later if the program itself is a good fit, and we decided to go ahead and spring for the specific block set it calls for?

We do MUS with C-rods, and it works well for my kids. 

But, we started with the MUS blocks and made the switch to c-rods much later. The kids  are fluent with both types of blocks and switch back and forth easily.

I think it would be confusing to start MUS with c-rods right from the get go. 

For Gamma I'd make paper blocks.  Cardstock.

It would be very confusing and difficult (especially multiplying 2-digit numbers) if everything looked different than what is on the video.

Thanks for your response. That's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering.

Would using cardstock (2d?) be weird, too? If I'm prewatching the videos, will it be something I can figure out how to make something workable for him? They list the number of each size manipulatives.... hmmm.

Thanks for your response. That's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering.

Would using cardstock (2d?) be weird, too? If I'm prewatching the videos, will it be something I can figure out how to make something workable for him? They list the number of each size manipulatives.... hmmm.

I keep flat cardstock ones for travel schooling.  I made up a model in Excel to be half-inch squares of the various colors and then cut them out.  They are just fine. The only kink I have found has been subtraction (not taught in Gamma), because the blocks are flipped to see the empty underside.  Not a big deal at all. 

I keep flat cardstock ones for travel schooling.  I made up a model in Excel to be half-inch squares of the various colors and then cut them out.  They are just fine. The only kink I have found has been subtraction (not taught in Gamma), because the blocks are flipped to see the empty underside.  Not a big deal at all. 

That sounds like an ideal solution to me for a trial run. I can do that. :) Thank you!

I like what another person said to make "blocks" out of paper strips that will match the colors of MUS blocks. I think if you are supplementing with MUS, then using c-rods might be frustrating. Another option is the MUS manipulatives app, and yet another idea is getting blocks from e-bay. I think Legos would not work with MUS because I don't think they come in all the numbers up to ten... or, maybe they do. Can't remember. Now I'm going to go count legos. I think with MUS part of the reason it works for my struggling math student is the color coded blocks. Messing with that might mean you won't get the same effect.