Menu

Do you and dh vote for different parties, different candidates?

JadeOrchidSong

Most years we have voted for different presidential candidates. This year we agree. I'm thrilled with my choice. He's holding his nose. It's okay, I love him anyway.

We are *not* in a swing state. This makes it much easier for me to ignore our political differences. We really agree on so much, especially at the local level.

Edited by Lawyer&Mom

Neither DH nor I are partisan (that is, we don't have a political party) but we generally find that one party aligns more with our views, while the other is almost un-vote-for-able.  We did disagree for a bit during the primaries - I thought one candidate was a fine idea and was morally consistent, acceptably honest, in line with my beliefs more or less, etc.  I would probably have voted for him in the primary if my state had a representational primary process. DH thought he was a snake.  He turned out to be a snake.

We were both fine with Jeb Bush but that ship sailed a year ago.  This has not been a good cycle for us.

We talk politics (and current events generally) a lot in our family, definitely including at the dinner table.  My husband and I are reasonably aligned on most issues, but our relative emphasis on which issues are paramount is somewhat different, so we definitely go for different candidates on occasion. 

We have a surprising number of friends where the two halves of the couple are affiliated with different parties, or one is with a party and the other unaffiliated.  Some of them joke openly about always canceling each other, and some go Cold War Detente during election years, lol...

This year we're voting differently, but it's not Rep. vs. Dem.  We talk politics frequently and bounce ideas off one another, but there's no expectation whatsoever that we'll vote the same.

(I have no idea who our adult children living at home are voting for, either, although we've talked--and complained--plenty.  lol)

Might I just add that I think I'm at least partially envious of those of you not in battleground states.  Do you know how many recorded phone calls we're getting here in PA? :cursing:    We don't have early voting either, so we'll get to endure those until near the end of Election Day.  (sigh)

I don't mind the poll calls - we get several of those of those too - but at least with those I can speak my mind.   :lol:

Dh and I tend to be very like minded so I doubt that we vote differently, but since we have always wanted to role model good political behavior to our kids, we do not ask each other once our votes are cast. We have a pretty strong idea where the other is going to land, but since we don't delve into it afterward, it is possible one of us might change our mind and the other would not know.

Given that both our eldest and middle sons are getting to vote for the first, I am throwing a celebratory dinner, however our guy at WMU had to vote by absentee ballot and can't come home so we sent him a twenty and told him to get some chinese food and ice cream. Chilli, gf cornbead, baked potatoes, steamed broccoli, and gf cheesecake. We can then suffer the insufferable media coverage together, you know...states that flip flop every commercial break while nothing substantive yet long winded is espoused in "analaysis".

One of these times some news anchor is going to say something like, "This just in! If the wind direction changes over Miami, we expect to place Florida solidly in Green Party candidate's column, but if and only if exit polls show that voters were snorting pixie sticks while hopping on one foot during the wind shift."

• Like 1

My husband and I are in two different parties - this election.  I recently switched so I could have more say in the primaries.   We are also voting or different people.  We mostly don't talk about it, but also respect each other's opinions.   I mostly agree with dh about the problems with the US and understand why he's pro-this candidate.  He also understands why I just cannot vote for that candidate.

Neither of us are so strongly our candidate that we feel the need to be pushy about it.

• Like 2

Might I just add that I think I'm at least partially envious of those of you not in battleground states.  Do you know how many recorded phone calls we're getting here in PA? :cursing:    We don't have early voting either, so we'll get to endure those until near the end of Election Day.  (sigh)

I don't mind the poll calls - we get several of those of those too - but at least with those I can speak my mind.   :lol:

Many of the polls are just disguised election calls, imo - they're worded to suggest support for one candidate or another, or criticize a candidate subtly on some point.  But by doing a "poll" they can call you whenever, completely obnoxious.  I don't answer polls.

Might I just add that I think I'm at least partially envious of those of you not in battleground states. Do you know how many recorded phone calls we're getting here in PA? :cursing: We don't have early voting either, so we'll get to endure those until near the end of Election Day. (sigh)

I don't mind the poll calls - we get several of those of those too - but at least with those I can speak my mind. :lol:

But at least you get to feel like your vote counts. Those of us in states where the results are considered a foregone conclusion are completely ignored after the primaries.

• Like 2

But at least you get to feel like your vote counts. Those of us in states where the results are considered a foregone conclusion are completely ignored after the primaries.

yes, but we can more easily vote our conscience if it doesn't align with one of the major parties.   But, yeah, it's not like my vote will make that much of a difference. 

Many of the polls are just disguised election calls, imo - they're worded to suggest support for one candidate or another, or criticize a candidate subtly on some point.  But by doing a "poll" they can call you whenever, completely obnoxious.  I don't answer polls.

We get both types here and I love both types.  

For the "correct" polls where I know I'll see results on RCP in a couple of days I enjoy seeing how I stack up to a wider population, esp with level of education and satisfaction/dissatisfaction or importance of issues, etc.

For the "biased" polls I really enjoy telling them how I feel - esp since I'm going against my usual party in at least one main election, perhaps more.  I don't think my answers are all that unusual because with our state candidates I see some of them treading awfully carefully.  It makes me feel I might be making a difference.

It's the Robocalls I find incredibly annoying.  We signed up for our (very effective) state Do Not Call list from the beginning and had enjoyed the combo of not getting calls or getting a $100 check (once) for turning one in.  (Other times we've just gotten a letter of thanks from the state.  Usually we don't get calls.)

This is why it's a partial envy and not complete.  I do like knowing my thoughts are important for a wee blip in time.

We usually support different candidates and have different party affiliation. . We seem to be complete opposites in many ways.

I am glad that my oldest can now vote because now our house is a net positive vote (he votes similarily to myself).

We talk a lot of politics. We disagree, often, about some things but never in a negative way. We actually agree on many foundational concepts of government but rarely is there someone running that actually reflects our similarities, so we have to assess the other characteristics to decide.

I am grateful that he will not be voting for his usual party candidate that year, that would have caused some drama in our house, and we both agree that candidate is ridiculous. That doesn't mean we will be voting the same though, at least, I don't think so. I don't think either of us has ever directly asked which candidate the other voted for because we also value that societal privacy. But politics is a frequent civil discussion.

Edited by xixstar

We often do, but not always.  I don't think we've ever voted for someone the other despised though.  Dh teds to be rather private about who he votes for so he doesn't always tell me.  I probably tend to be a bit more sure about who I will support.  We talk about politics a lot and have a fair bit of broad agreement, but not always about the details.

DH and I are not in political agreement this election cycle, and have decided just not to talk about it.  I would be willing to have a rational discussion, but DH finds it incredibly frustrating that he cannot change my mind.  He also hates conflict, and I don't mind it so much. But really, him not wanting to talk about it is the least of the reasons I'm finding this election season unbearable, so whatever.

Dh and I never vote for the same parties or candidates. This time is the same. We are never angry at each other. I direct my anger and frustration mostly at the general opposite party. Yes, we cancel each other's votes. This time I told him if he votes for the party he usually does, I will have to vote the party I usually do to cancel his. So that is what we are going to do. I do feel more and more passionate about my vote as an immigrant who wants to see the greatness of this country preserved. Dh and I respect each other's political views. His generation usually is more leaning to the party opposite of mine. There is peace in our house. We love each other very much and we are both very hardworking parents to raise our children. That is what is important. My children both took the quiz to determine which candidate was closest to their ideals and they got the same candidate as I. So it is 3 to 1 though they are still too young to vote yet. 

By the way, neither of us tries to convert each other. We do talk about the election and politics in general. He probably understands why i choose what i choose. I do not really understand him, but it is not a problem. 

Edited by JadeOrchidSong

Dh and I are both liberal Democrats, though we occasionally disagree on specific issues. We usually support the same candidate, but this year he's choosing not to vote because he can't tolerate any of the candidates. I'm not happy about it but I'm not going to start WWIII over it, either.

Dh and I are both liberal Democrats, though we occasionally disagree on specific issues. We usually support the same candidate, but this year he's choosing not to vote because he can't tolerate any of the candidates. I'm not happy about it but I'm not going to start WWIII over it, either.

to be fair, this is an exceptionally good year for that

• Like 2

I used to show up at the polling place and announce that I was here to cancel out dh's vote. After a few years, he came to his senses. Now he copies my ballot. Except not this year for I am exceptionally crabby.

I cannot vote in Colombia. I'm a legal resident, but I'm an alien, and cannot vote here.  My wife cannot vote in U.S. elections, but she has opinions. We agree on who I did vote for in the U.S. Presidential election on November 8th.. The last 2 times I voted for U.S. President, she thought I voted for an idiot.  She still has that opinion.        We agree on the current President and former President of Colombia.  My Absentee Ballot was received in TX yesterday, so I'm participating and I hope everyone will participate in the election for President.

When we first started seeing each other DH was registered as a different party then I am.  Mostly because his mom is in local politics but also because the majority of the people from his part of the state are all that particular party.  It didn't take long for me to figure out that he was in reality a moderate, which I could live with.  Now after almost 17 years he is firmly in my camp while I've moved even farther to the extreme.  I'm not sure I would have married him or have stayed married to him if he had gone the other way.  My "politics" are based on my core values and I don't think I could have shared a life with someone who felt so very different.

*Our children seem to be following along, DS is a bit more moderate, while DD is more of an extremist like me (she's got a "dog in the fight" so to speak, this election could hypothetically curtail her rights in the future).

I've pretty much stopped talking to my parents, quick chats that have no time to devolve into real discussions..... at least until the election is over. It makes me sad but keeps me from saying something I can't take back.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Yes.  We always discuss it in great detail.  We normally vote for different candidates.   We are very similar in core values, but simply think that different ways of addressing issues is the way to go. 

Sometimes we do vote the same.  This year he is going for some obscure third party person and I have not decided yet. 

Edited by TranquilMind

My husband is liberal almost to the extreme of communism.  I'm more middle of the road.  It's not a problem.  He can't vote in the US though.  Ultimately I think we agree on most things.  We just might have different ideas about how things should be done.  In part that might just be a reflection of the fact we didn't live most of our lives in the same country. 

• Like 1

We have always voted the same at the top of the ticket, but we have sometimes voted differently down ballot.

This year, he is making a choice at the top. I still have not decided if I am going to cast a vote at the top of the ticket or not.