Menu

Magnatiles vs Picasso tiles

I am thinking about Christmas presents and I have seen a lot of you here mention Magnatiles. I think that my children would love these. I also found an old thread about Picasso tiles too and was wondering what you all think about them,. So, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

- Has anyone purchased both of them? Which do you like better? Which is more durable?

- For those of you who purchased Picasso tiles- have they held up?

I looked at Picasso tiles and I can see us having the same problem with them as our Magnatiles.  We use them on a non-carpeted floor, so it doesn't matter how many times I sweep, there will always be little dust particles. Those particles have scratched the living daylights out of our pieces, making them rough.

Doing it over again, I would have gotten the Tegu blocks like I originally wanted to (but really couldn't justify the price).

I looked at Picasso tiles and I can see us having the same problem with them as our Magnatiles.  We use them on a non-carpeted floor, so it doesn't matter how many times I sweep, there will always be little dust particles. Those particles have scratched the living daylights out of our pieces, making them rough.

Doing it over again, I would have gotten the Tegu blocks like I originally wanted to (but really couldn't justify the price).

Wow. We play on a non-carpetted floor too and I have not noticed scratches.

We had a set of Magnatiles when we bought some offbrand tiles to go with them a few years ago. (I think Picasso? But I don't remember and am having problems finding it in our Amazon history)  It took less than 3 months for a couple of pieces of the offbrand to fall apart. My daughter was still young enough to put things in her mouth (age 2 or 3) so I immediately cleansed the off brand out of the collection and we are still playing with the Magnatiles and Magformers in our collection.  The Magnatiles have not fallen apart yet. It is possible they are scratched and I just did not notice. I will have to check that tonight. But it does not prevent my kids (now 5 and 9) from  playing with and enjoying them.

I agree with vonfirmath.  We love magnatiles.  have had them for years.  Possibly 4 or 5 years.  The tiles themselves may have some scratches, but it doesn't have any effect on how they play with them.  Still durable. 

I would start off with the pack that is about $120 (100 tiles I think) and go from there.  We have purchased about 4 of those.  You would be amazed at all of the creations they make.  I especially like the way they make a creation, leave it there and then come back to it. 

All of your kids will probably enjoy them, even your one year old.  At that age I think it was mostly stacking with a triangular roof on top for a house.  :) 

We have both Magnatiles and Picasso Tiles and I don't really notice much of a difference between them.  They've both held up well, and none of either brand have fallen apart.  Our Picasso Tiles are older than our Magnatiles.  I'm not sure how long we've had them... probably about 2 years.  They are interchangeable; they have corresponding identical sizes and shapes.  I somewhat prefer the Magnatiles, but only because they came with an extra few varieties of triangles with markings for the congruent and right angles.  I'm a nerd, so that appeals to me.  If not for those extra few triangles and their markings, I wouldn't have a preference between the two brands.

The little scratches are less visible on the tiles that are opaque and more noticeable on the transparent ones, but they don't bother anyone and neither do they effect performance.

Just to throw something else out there....we debated between Magnatiles and Magformers and after watching a few demo videos, we ended up going with the Magformers because the magnetic hold seemed to be stronger.  We love our Magormers and they have held up really well.  We've had them for several years and never had any issues with them.  I also love the add on packs available - gears, wheels, light systems.  There is just so much you can do with them. :)

We have gotten more play value out of Magnatiles than any other toy--years and years of nearly daily building.

I am sure ours are scratched, and we do have a hard floor. That doesn't affect play  with the tiles here. 

My kids asked for more nearly every birthday and Christmas for a long time.

Just to throw something else out there....we debated between Magnatiles and Magformers and after watching a few demo videos, we ended up going with the Magformers because the magnetic hold seemed to be stronger.  We love our Magormers and they have held up really well.  We've had them for several years and never had any issues with them.  I also love the add on packs available - gears, wheels, light systems.  There is just so much you can do with them. :)

We have both Magnatiles and Magformers. We had the Magformers before the Magnatiles (My daughter played with a couple when she was just a few months old. I never worried about it, though of course I was alwas right there). The Magformers are good for shape play. Making all sorts of 3-d shaped objects.  The Magnatiles are used more for imaginative play.  At this point, my kids feel like they have enough Magformers for everything they want to do, but they continually run out of specific shapes of the Magnatiles so are asking for more of those.

Edited by vonfirmath

We have both Magnatiles and Magformers. We had the Magformers before the Magnatiles (My daughter played with a couple when she was just a few months old. I never worried about it, though of course I was alwas right there). The Magformers are good for shape play. Making all sorts of 3-d shaped objects.  The Magnatiles are used more for imaginative play.  At this point, my kids feel like they have enough Magformers for everything they want to do, but they continually run out of specific shapes of the Magnatiles so are asking for more of those.

We use our magformers for way, way more than just shapes.  The kids have built all sorts of cool stuff with them.  It's definitely a case of always needing more though.  Like Lego.  There's no such thing as "too much".  LOL