Menu

"Must see" things to do near San Antonio and/or Austin

DesertBlossom

The Alamo of course. If you have time maybe bike the Mission trail & see each of the Spanish Missions. I think B-cycle might have rental bikes with kids seats mounted. 

If you have an evening free, the San Antonio riverwalk has some very nice light displays - makes for a nice night walk. 

• Like 1

Yes to the above. We loved the missions and the riverwalk. The cruise is super affordable and informative. We enjoyed it. The church downtown (can't think of the name) that does the light show every night was a hit. And it's free!

We really like the animal rescue center in Austin. We found a groupon so it was super cheap.

New Braunfels on the way down 35 is a neat place.

Have fun. Oh and eat puffy tacos in SanA. So yummy!!

Edited by purplejackmama
  • Like 1

The Alamo is the least exciting of the missions, imo. I would see all of them, starting with La Espada and its Aquacia. They are all free to visit, although parking downtown to visit the Alamo easily adds up. Visit the Riverwalk (briefly, imo) while you are downtown at the Alamo as it is just across the street.

There are a number of good state parks in Hill Country, but they will eat up a lot of time--Lost Maples is pretty this time of year, Pedernales Falls, and the Cibolo Nature Preserve would be my top 3.

We've enjoyed the riverwalk cruise, and the old state fair park nearby.  You can go up to the top of the tower (it's actually a 3 part deal if I remember, going to the top, a 4D ride at the bottom (which is not for under 3yos), and another small museum inside.

Outside of SA is the Natural Bridge Caverns.  I'm not sure if they have a child limit for the tours.

Salt lick BBQ. Fun huge outdoor place to eat. Delish! perfect for great food and for messy 1 year old to tromp and play and be a kid.

Hamilton and Barton springs pools. Very cool!

If it's your deal, check out the bats at congress bridge at dusk. I hope they are still there. When we were in Austin years ago it was quite impressive!

Lady Bird Johnson wildflower place. Cannot think of the name of it.

River walk. Gotta do it. You can spend a long time there. We went a couple years ago in March maybe? No special anything going on but there were still bands amd random entertainers. Plus the river walk is just so pretty.

• Like 1

Austin area:

For historical sites, our best places are the state capitol and the Texas State Cemetery (my avatar is buried there...). Our outdoors and scenic spots are too numerous to list.

Congress Ave. bats are still there. Zilker Park, with its great playscape and the tiny train "Zilker Zephyr," is nice for a 1yo. Zilker also has the botanical Gardens and the Nature Science Center.

The best scenic view in my opinion is a well-timed walk around the Town Lake Trail loop with a jogging stroller. See the bats fly, and the sun set. (Our sunsets are the "violet crown" many local things are named for.)

Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms.

For biking, running, hiking, or rock climbing, you want the Barton Creek Greenbelt.

Peter Pan Mini-Golf and the Texas Memorial Museum (basement full of dinosaurs!) are kid classics but not very interesting to a toddler.

The Thinkery is our kid-friendly science museum. San Antonio has a nifty science museum also.

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Plenty of outdoors live music, much of it family friendly. Eat your meals at a food truck!

What time of year are you thinking of?

Edited by Violet Crown

The Japanese Tea Garden.   This is an often overlooked spot but it is so beautiful and peaceful.  I adored it as a kid and still love going back to see it when I am in town.  Link below:

http://saparksfoundation.org/japanese-tea-garden/

The River Walk (they may still have discounts for Tuesdays in downtown San Antonio - cheap or free parking, discounts at some restaurants and shops).  Possibly Witte Museum.  The San Antonio Missions National Historic Park.  The Alamo.  Tower of the Americas.  Majestic Theater.   Blue Star Art Complex.  Market Square.  Texas Air Museum.   San Antonio Museum of Art.  Maybe Aquatica.

Salt lick BBQ. Fun huge outdoor place to eat. Delish! perfect for great food and for messy 1 year old to tromp and play and be a kid.

Hamilton and Barton springs pools. Very cool!

If it's your deal, check out the bats at congress bridge at dusk. I hope they are still there. When we were in Austin years ago it was quite impressive!

Lady Bird Johnson wildflower place. Cannot think of the name of it.

River walk. Gotta do it. You can spend a long time there. We went a couple years ago in March maybe? No special anything going on but there were still bands amd random entertainers. Plus the river walk is just so pretty.

The Salt Lick BBQ you want to do is the one in Dripping Springs -- bring cash. They are cash only.

Barton Springs Pool only operates through October 31. http://www.austintexas.gov/department/barton-springs-pool It is in Zilker Park, which also contains a cool playground for kids, a train around the park you can buy tickets too, a Nature museum, Botanical Gardens, and a hillside theater.

Bat season in Austin is supposed to be "March to early November" but it is really hit or miss in October.  I'd call one of those bat-watching boat tours and see if they are still seeing bats or not. They'd know best.

But if you really like historic sites -- and are willing to go farther afield than Austin and San Antonio,  the logical place to visit with the Alamo (And one of my favorite sites in Texas to visit) is Washington-on-the-Brazos  http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/washington-on-the-brazos There is a great museum there and information about the history of Texas, as well as the Barrington Living Farms where you can go look at how a real farm was set up.

The reason the Alamo is such a big deal is that it delayed Santa Ana's army dealing with them there while the government was at Washington-on-the-Brazons signing the Texas Declaration of Independence

The San Jacinto Monument east of  Houston, TX is where the war for Texas Independence was won. http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/san-jacinto-battleground The Battleship Texas is also here.

The Congress Avenue bats are still around, feasting on mosquitos and getting ready to head to Mexico, but they're leaving the bridge after sundown right now. You can still see then in the city glare, though. If we ever get a cold front, they'll head south and come back around March.

Speaking of mosquitoes, bring plenty of spray. You can get eaten alive amazingly fast outdoors right now.

• Like 1