Menu

WWYD: painter ruined house

Kathryn

I don't know how all Realtors do it but one realtor approached me to be in their referral network because I'm a pet sitter. She found my name from a client of mine. It sounded good at first the way she pulled me in. She talked about using my services to get idea of how I ran things so she could recommend me to her clients who were looking for a pet sitter. When it came time to meet up at a luncheon with the other people in her referral list everything was quite different. Essentially her referrals pay to be on her referral list andshe had no intention of vetting me at all. So essentially she was asking me to pay her to refer people to me.

I laughed in her face and may it clear I would warn anyone I knew looking for a realtor to avoid her because of her dishonest referral system.

• Like 5

oh I think that would make me cry.  I'm so sorry.  We had a painter both up the work on our house too - fortunately I hadn't paid him the full amount and refused to until it was corrected.  He took me to small claims where I won AND was awarded my deposit back as well (he was given 30 days to fix it or refund - he walked away).  Of course it still cost me extra to get the both job stripped back and fixed, but it got done in the end.

I don't know how all Realtors do it but one realtor approached me to be in their referral network because I'm a pet sitter. She found my name from a client of mine. It sounded good at first the way she pulled me in. She talked about using my services to get idea of how I ran things so she could recommend me to her clients who were looking for a pet sitter. When it came time to meet up at a luncheon with the other people in her referral list everything was quite different. Essentially her referrals pay to be on her referral list andshe had no intention of vetting me at all. So essentially she was asking me to pay her to refer people to me.

I laughed in her face and may it clear I would warn anyone I knew looking for a realtor to avoid her because of her dishonest referral system.

What a crook!

I would laugh at that too.  Avoid Realtors at all costs for anything but letting you into a house that you cannot access otherwise, is my personal rule, from long experience in my market.    I did finally find one that goes against the grain and she is flat fee, much to the ire of the others around here, who blackball her and ridicule her intensely.  Last time I checked, she had 60 listings in my area, and the average is probably 5.   I can't tell you how many times I have stood up for her.  My houses sell in about 24 hours most of the time, which has little to do with what name is on the sign (she will tell you and I know for a fact) and a lot to do with the quality of the renovation. 

She is the best I have ever used and we have quite a bit of legal and house buying experience here. 

Not surprising.  More and more I realize how so much is backward from how it appears on the surface.   

Edited by TranquilMind