Menu

WWYD: painter ruined house

Kathryn

We are getting our house ready to sell. One of the top realtors in the area with whom we consulted but have not yet signed a contract with gave us the number of a painter he recommended to wash the house and repaint the white trim.

DH called, he came and quoted a price for the work and then came yesterday to start. He was give 1/3 of the money up front. Apparently, he did not pressure wash it. He put chlorine bleach in a pump sprayer and sprayed the house. Then later he used our hose to spray it off. This is what the house looks like now. All metal (house numbers on the front, door knobs, door bells) are corroded. The paint on sides that didn't get full sun all day is streaked. The paint on sides that did get full sun is majorly faded (the picture showing this shows it compared with patch work that had been color matched). The deck that we just finished staining has bleach spots.

DH is usually really assertive but for some reason he didn't say anything to the guy and my suggestion that we say something to the realtor did not go over well. He's now yelling at me for even talking about this. Am I crazy here? WWYD?

757346C8-6FF2-410F-871A-65F7CF32B85C.jpg

97592E86-08DD-4B1D-987B-73D22342BB27.jpg

0EBDEBFE-EFEC-40D3-A3BB-CEBAD89B01E7.jpg

is this after he painted?   he should also be paying to replace all metal and restaining your deck.

is he bonded/insured?   no money until it is fixed.  if he doesn't want to fix it, contact his licensing agency, and probably you'll need to contact an attorney to prevent him from suing you.  yes, I know someone that happened to.   they didn't pay because the work wasn't done., so the contractor sued.  very stressful.   if there is no resolution, you can also take him to small claims court for everything you've paid him already, plus fixing all the damage so it can be repainted.

I hope you haven't signed a contract with your agent. (if you have, I'd cancel it.)  I'd probably complain to her broker.  this will affect when you can list your house.

if you were getting ready to list, your dh is probably extremely stressed out by this - that can affect how someone functions.

• Like 8

The siding didn't need to be painted before he came :( He was just supposed to pressure wash the house and paint the trim. We have not signed a contract with anyone (realtor or painter). I have no idea if the guy is bonded/insured.

We were supposed to list next week. This was the last thing that needed to be done besides taking things to storage. DH is outside painting the front of the house.

The siding didn't need to be painted before he came :( He was just supposed to pressure wash the house and paint the trim. We have not signed a contract with anyone (realtor or painter). I have no idea if the guy is bonded/insured.

We were supposed to list next week. This was the last thing that needed to be done besides taking things to storage. DH is outside painting the front of the house.

tell your dh to stop. now.  get another painter out asap to give an estimate on how much it would cost to fix this mess.

talk to your homeowner's insurance asap. they will go after him, and they will collect.

this is why you need to verify license and bondage and insurance.

report the agent to her broker, and don't use her

• Like 19

That's a really terrible job.  The trim lines are not straight.  The bleach messed up the surface and he didn't powerwash it off and the siding looks terrible.

I would demand my money back plus whatever it costs me to have an actual professional painter fix it.

Never listen to Realtors. They have been my worst source for pretty much everything. 

Find  a lot of good reviews and call someone and ask for his last three jobs and the phone numbers to contact those people.  I'm sorry this happened.  I had to fire a painter on a large job on the spot earlier this year.  He left lap lines everywhere (lines where paint overlaps next roll).  I got him out before the damage was too bad and I didn't pay him a dime.  Fortunately, he was of decent character and didn't expect to be paid for bad work where the customer was unhappy so it worked out.

NEVER,  NEVER,  NEVER pay money up front, at least not anything significant.  Maybe a tiny down payment if the guy insists.  All my best contractors don't take money up front. 

• Like 4

tell your dh to stop. now.  get another painter out asap to give an estimate on how much it would cost to fix this mess.

talk to your homeowner's insurance asap. they will go after him, and they will collect.

this is why you need to verify license and bondage and insurance.

report the agent to her broker, and don't use her

To my knowledge, Homeowner's insurance does NOT cover bad paint (or other contractor) jobs.  It is only for major systemic damage to the home, unless she has some special policy rider. 

I would never call my insurance company for something like this. 

• Like 5

Please alert the realtor that this guy did a HORRIBLE job. As an agent, when I recommend someone it's because I KNOW they do a great job. If one of my favorites does a crappy job I need to know it so I can take them off my list. I send a lot of business to tradespeople--they need to hear when my clients aren't satisfied. I'd be horrified if someone I recommended did this.

Get the painter back out there and ask him what the heck he was thinking. Pressure wash the siding to see if it cleans up the streaks. Have the painter replace the damaged metal and paint the trim.

Good luck with your sale.

• Like 7

is this after he painted? he should also be paying to replace all metal and restaining your deck.

is he bonded/insured? no money until it is fixed. if he doesn't want to fix it, contact his licensing agency, and probably you'll need to contact an attorney to prevent him from suing you. yes, I know someone that happened to. they didn't pay because the work wasn't done., so the contractor sued. very stressful. if there is no resolution, you can also take him to small claims court for everything you've paid him already, plus fixing all the damage so it can be repainted.

I hope you haven't signed a contract with your agent. (if you have, I'd cancel it.) I'd probably complain to her broker. this will affect when you can list your house.

if you were getting ready to list, your dh is probably extremely stressed out by this - that can affect how someone functions.

Yep, all of this. Never hire an uninsured home service provider for huge jobs. You need to call your agent and get him/her in the loop. The agent can let the painter know that bad word of mouth can tank his painting business if it's not put to right.

Was your DH planning on repainting the front of the house?

if he wasn't and he is currently doing it now then I don't think there is much that you can do without causing a big problem in your relationship.  

sometimes men can be so pigheaded.

if he was planning on repainting the front anyway then please ignore my comment

• Like 1

I'd contact the guy asap and someone else to assess the damage and figure out how to fix it. If was your dh I wouldn't touch anything out there, at all.

I'd definitely let the realtor about it. But, I wouldn't blame her. Maybe the guy has done good jobs before and she's seen those? You never know.

Good luck! Sorry you are having to deal with this :(

• Like 1

What an idiot!!!!

If he's a side-job kinda' contractor w/o a license, etc, you are probably out the money already paid and on the hook for fixing it. 

1) Take a zillion pictures.

2) Find any "before" pictures, especially showing the metal stuff that's wrecked.

3) Call that realtor.

If you DO list with that realtor, she should list it FOR FREE (on her side, so 3% of the sale price) and work her tail off to get it sold at a good price. Meanwhile, the savings in commission can help defray your expenses to fix the mess.

It's possible that a good power wash will clean up the siding. Maybe not. But cheap and easy to try. Borrow or rent or buy a pressure washer and DIY to check if it works. 

The metal will need to be replaced. No fixing that. 

Depending on how fixed your selling time line is, you might just have to suck it up, pay out of pocket to fix everything . . .

Meanwhile, take pics and save receipts. Sue the painter in small claims court if you want. You'd probably win, but it might be more trouble than it is worth. I'd DEFINITELY expect that realtor to take responsibility for making it right, but, again, the realtor (and his/her boss) may not be helpful, in which case, again, you are out of luck. 

I'm SO sorry this happened!

• Like 2

I'd do all the stuff mentioned above (contact realtor, get the guy to fix metal etc...) and if I we're you I'd go big your husband. He's trying to make it right - for you, for him, and likely to get the house sold. That's a great guy. You could fight with the dingbat contract guy, but we all know that'll take forever. So I think your dh is awesome and deserves a big hug.

He came back and for some reason DH had him paint. I told him not to. He said we were already in and then we'd have to find someone else and that would take too long...

Imagine how bad it could be and it's worse. Our beautiful black roof is no longer black. He said we should just spray paint over it. I can't even think about it. DH kept pointing out issues and he kept making excuses or making them worse "fixing" them. He finally paid him to make him leave.

I don't know why on earth DH thought letting him work today would work out, and I'm trying really hard not to say that, because we are out way more money than we could afford in the first place and DH has a lot of work ahead of him to fix everything. He did text the realtor to call him so idk what's going to be said there.

He came back and for some reason DH had him paint. I told him not to. He said we were already in and then we'd have to find someone else and that would take too long...

Imagine how bad it could be and it's worse. Our beautiful black roof is no longer black. He said we should just spray paint over it. I can't even think about it. DH kept pointing out issues and he kept making excuses or making them worse "fixing" them. He finally paid him to make him leave.

I don't know why on earth DH thought letting him work today would work out, and I'm trying really hard not to say that, because we are out way more money than we could afford in the first place and DH has a lot of work ahead of him to fix everything. He did text the realtor to call him so idk what's going to be said there.

I am gobsmacked.

• Like 2

I would look into his bond number and licence number to find out if he is legit business.  Then take the steps to file a complaint. Even if you don't want to go to court, make the complaint.  If you do nothing, he will get away with this on someone elses home too, and this will at least start a paper trail of his shoddy work.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry. So, so sorry.

At least he is gone now (right?), and you can figure out how to recover. I hope the RE agent will help somehow.

I feel like we had work done by the same guy a year and a half ago. It was a nightmare of snowballing mistakes. I paid him for what he'd done and fired him before DH even came home. It was so upsetting.

I would look into his bond number and licence number to find out if he is legit business. Then take the steps to file a complaint. Even if you don't want to go to court, make the complaint. If you do nothing, he will get away with this on someone elses home too, and this will at least start a paper trail of his shoddy work.

Yes. This.

Just musing aloud here:  Do any of your local news stations have a consumer advocate type reporter?  This is exactly the type of story they relish covering.  You (the consumer) have been seriously damaged through no fault of your own and the painter just blithely walked away (with money no less.) :glare:

I wonder if  another paint contractor might be interested in 'rescuing' the job in return for tons of free publicity?  Might be worth calling a few and inquiring...especially if there was potential positive news coverage involved.

ETA An Additional Thought:  If it were me, I would be having a very direct conversation with the 'Top Realtor in the Area' who recommended this painter and informing him in no uncertain terms that his name would be involved and mentioned in the sharing of this tale of woe.  Not in a threatening manner at all, quite the contrary, in a rather matter of fact manner.  If he is going to recommend a sub to potential clients, he needs to "own it" and this might prompt the realtor to intercede on your behalf.

Edited by Jenn in FL
  • Like 4

Just musing aloud here: Do any of your local news stations have a consumer advocate type reporter? This is exactly the type of story they relish covering. You (the consumer) have been seriously damaged through no fault of your own and the painter just blithely walked away (with money no less.) :glare:

I wonder if another paint contractor might be interested in 'rescuing' the job in return for tons of free publicity? Might be worth calling a few and inquiring...especially if there was potential positive news coverage involved.

That's a good idea. We have a local man who had a terrible large job done on his home (seal coating a driveway, very visible) - and was essentially robbed by the man who did the work. Another company heard about it, came in and fixed it for free, and has received a ton of publicity - write ups in the local paper, a spot on the news. I know the story because we hired him because of it! So it was effective for driving his business.

• Like 1

DH talked to the realtor who was appalled and offered to reimburse us. Apparently he also mentioned getting the money back from the painter but DH doesn't want him involved at all. I think he's scared of the guy harassing us while he's at work. I'll post some pictures in a minute. Uploading them now.

• Like 4

Here's a sampling of what was done:

Paint on roof and chimney. Didn't paint eaves to left of chimney:

12E4AC1E-105A-4761-93D1-377B0A4FE49D.jpg

Tried to wash off the roof while paint below it was wet and it ran down (this was part of trying to "fix" things when DH complained):

2E29CD50-1D30-41BD-85D4-6B276C1BF883.jpg

Bleached our newly stained deck and got paint on it:

CB3289A9-31C4-4CD6-8732-FB09BD0629A3.jpg

Hard to see, but didn't scrape old paint on eaves, painted right over peeling paint:

E2B31216-91D5-4C92-9BEA-2E8858103DCB.jpg

Did not paint at all several spots like this:

D11FC620-0DA8-4C8F-B92A-6088E73B0D02.jpg

What you see right when you walk up to the house, paint all over the roof of the bay window:

A252EE59-7970-4BD1-89FF-8EE2199F1399.jpg

Again tried to clean paint off the roof after it was pointed out. Paint ran down window and onto ground:

70C7134E-FB86-4187-BA64-AFC83918FDF4.jpg

Next two pictures are how the eaves were painted, did not go all the way down or up:

0F0C31B2-B60C-4290-85F3-A57CF5C1D754.jpg

6E869E46-17F6-49D9-A524-4EFE6CE14E11.jpg

Front steps:

1B0E9C5A-6B48-4BBA-8B6F-88CC5FA270FD.jpg

Edited by Kathryn

:grouphug:

I hate to pile on, but you might want to check the connection between your roof and the flashing in the first picture.

I'm glad the other realtor is stepping in, but I'm also concerned the roofer is getting away with something.

• Like 2

I hate to pile on, but you might want to check the connection between your roof and the flashing in the first picture.

I'm glad the other realtor is stepping in, but I'm also concerned the roofer is getting away with something.

Me too.  Bad contractors keep getting away with it because no one challenges them, sometimes out of fear, but sometimes out of inconvenience.  Then they just screw over the next customer.  If you can at least leave a review somewhere, that is helpful. 

The roof is actually several years old at this point and I just noticed that a few months ago. I'm not sure what can be done about that.

I can't grasp HOW that guy did such an awful job. Seriously, I think my grandkids could have done better. And nothing against them, but they range in age from 1-9 so they have no experience. 

I mean, he did NOTHING right. Not one part of the job he did was good enough.  That's crazy. 

We once hired a roofer who came highly recommended. We had seen his work. Good work. But he royally screwed up our roof and it caused a lot of leaks in the house. We found out he was struggling with alcohol and drugs and his marriage was falling apart.  Well, that explained a lot. I wonder if the painter has some 'issues'. 

How in the world did the realtor recommend this guy? Unless your house is the first job he did after starting doing drugs or drinking, there had to be some track record of poor work. I bet the realtor gave his name without vetting him first.

I'm so sorry, that really is completely unacceptable work.