Menu

Help me with my crazy ds4 UPDATE Post #14

I have five kids. He was the youngest until last winter when baby was born. He'll be 5 in December.

He's a crazy bundle of energy but can focus like crazy when he wants to (maybe he'll decide to do three 50-piece puzzles in a row, or put on a Curious George book on CD and listen to it, or choose to sit in on a Suzuki violin group lesson). He plays a complicated spatial skills-using game with Dad every morning before breakfast. He learned to bike at 2.5 and runs like a sprinter. He jumps on everything in our house. 

He gets in trouble all the time, sometimes for things he just doesn't think about beforehand (like jumping on a plate and breaking it) and sometimes for just doing what he wants (like when I told him he could play outside with the neighbor but he went inside to watch TV with the neighbor instead).

DH has even talked about sending him to a developmentally-appropriate learning-through-play school next year because he needs supervision (but this would basically use all ALL of our extra money - we could do it but it would hurt). I'm not really sure how to meet his needs while schooling my older kids and taking care of baby. He is by far my most energetic kid. By far.

Suggestions? I'd rather keep him home and meet his needs here.

Thanks,

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF

Hugs and commiseration.

I will say that the school situation would *just* be  a break for you. I mean, he'd probably love it ( right?) but when he walked through the door, he'd be the same. These kids don't get their wiggles out" like other kids seem to.

Sometimes it's gonna be worth the $$$ for the break! And who knows, maybe you could get a discount or scholarship or something?

"Getting in trouble" for things he probably can't help, isn't going to help. I say that as someone whose kids are a little older than this one of yours and I still "get them in trouble" sometimes and it STILL never works to change anything.

So frustrating.

These are just kids that you have to be on like white on rice, man. I don't mean punitively...just anticipating.

No plates that break, walk them to the door to go outside, feed them at regular intervals, have a hundred things he can do, and usher him through a rotation. PLUS what some people call "heart issues...." teaching him how to recognize that his current wants have to be shelved for other's current needs, taking turns, etc...

IME they don't get it, don't get it, don't get it, don't get it, then one day you look up and BAM! you realize he hasn't doesn't that thing he used to do.

And this is in addition to whatever outside things (help, evals, whatever) you MIGHT want to pursue.

Oh! Another way to get a break that would probably be cheaper would be to hire a mother's helper! It could at least get you and your others through school, or actual laying-down rest for you, or cleaning or whatever it is you most need him otherwise occupied for in order to take care of it. At five he does not need proper school, and especially kids like this, as you've already seen, he's going to learn through games, puzzles and conundrums any way. :)

Double hugs.

I have to agree nearly word for word with okbud. It's very exhausting to have these kinds of kiddos. Extremely structured, very planned, hyperaware days for positive results.

I did send DS to ps for k-3, because of multiple reasons, but would never have stretched my budget for one child unless it was medically necessary. If something happens and you can't continue, the money you could have spent to develop a program at home isn't available. Back to square one. Then he is also dealing with going in and then back out. How would he transition? Just playing devil's advocate, because we have held off on extras for my son like yours until we could financially maintain them without fear of emergencies stopping the extras.

• Like 1

He sounds like a very smart, energetic person who will go far in life! I can see it will be a stretch to keep him busy with olders to teach and the baby starting to get mobile as well.

Can you put a mini trampoline/rebounder (the kind with a bar you hold on to) in the house, preferably in sight of the school area? He might need some time on that as you're working with the bigger kids. If you have a way to play music next to it, maybe he can bounce to skip-counting or other learning songs.

Other things to see if he can get absorbed in: building with blocks (Lego?), learning to tie various knots in a short piece of rope, I Spy/ Where's Waldo kinds of books, playing with math manipulatives (DS liked to play Decimal Street at 5), making paper airplanes, and any kind of craft anybody else in the house already does.

• Like 2

You're making the assumption that a "learning through play" environment would work for him.  The usual top recommendation for ADHD is STRUCTURE.  That means clear expectations, a plan, accountability, consequences.  Honestly, I would put him in a cheaper, more structured preschool, (ps, free, whatever), even if he doesn't like it, and I would use that money to put him in athletics.  My ds at 5 was doing swim 3 days a week and gymnastics 3-4 days a week.  Now at newly 8 he does team/competitive swim AND team gymnastics AND during the summer did sports camps multiple hours a day for others (soccer, tennis, speed skills, etc.).  The amount of what it takes to wear him out and use up that energy is astonishing.

While that all sounds amazing, it would be absolutely impossible for me juggling 4 kids and I expect the OP would have similar issues.  Enrolling one child in that many out of the house activities means an unreasonable amount of traveling, waiting and disruption for the rest of the family...and that doesn't even take into account any out of the house activities that the other kids participate it.  No matter how much one child needs something, it cannot take absolute precedence over the needs of the rest of the family.

Wendy

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

He sounds like a very smart, energetic person who will go far in life! I can see it will be a stretch to keep him busy with olders to teach and the baby starting to get mobile as well.

Can you put a mini trampoline/rebounder (the kind with a bar you hold on to) in the house, preferably in sight of the school area? He might need some time on that as you're working with the bigger kids. If you have a way to play music next to it, maybe he can bounce to skip-counting or other learning songs.

Other things to see if he can get absorbed in: building with blocks (Lego?), learning to tie various knots in a short piece of rope, I Spy/ Where's Waldo kinds of books, playing with math manipulatives (DS liked to play

at 5), making paper airplanes, and any kind of craft anybody else in the house already does.

Great success today with a big bin of duplos and this prompt: Build me the Batcave.  :lol:

Emily

• Like 1

Look into resources for dealing with ADHD (little known fact: these kids can zoom in on a favorite topic and focus intently) 

Please don't think that I'm saying your son is in need of a diagnosis. Not at all, but the best people to offer tips for coping with impulsive, high-energy kids are the ones who live in the trenches.  Here are a few.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well, this boy got into a public gifted kindergarten and I'm debating sending him. It'd give us some peace at home during the school day so that hopefully I could give him focused attention after he got off the school bus (nope, gifted school not in walking distance).

So that's the new idea.

​

This isn't a learn through play school, this is a very structured school. Not my dream "forest kindergarten", but that isn't what he's getting at home right now, etiher. This is a top school in our state. I tested him for it on a whim and he LOVED the test.

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 2

Well, this boy got into a public gifted kindergarten and I'm debating sending him. It'd give us some peace at home during the school day so that hopefully I could give him focused attention after he got off the school bus (nope, gifted school not in walking distance).

So that's the new idea.

​

This isn't a learn through play school, this is a very structured school. Not my dream "forest kindergarten", but that isn't what he's getting at home right now, etiher. This is a top school in our state. I tested him for it on a whim and he LOVED the test.

Emily

I'd give it a go :)

As the mom of a gifted and energetic kid who would love to have a chance at gifted work in public school, please plan for high energy stuff after school. My guess is you won't get much extra out of him from a school standpoint.

My 9 year old is a state champion wrestler and the structure there has been amazing. He would wrestle all year long but it's a 60 mile drive one way, so we limit it to the collegiate season, but he swims the rest of the year. He can swim solid for 60 minutes, come home and jump on the trampoline and still go for a 3 mile run and outrun me!

My 10 year old went to a high achiever magnet this year for 4th. It was amazing for him. He is still very high energy, but his mental stimulation was met by the school hours, and it helped with the rest of his life. It allowed me to focus on my other 3 kids at home. Win/win for us all.