Menu

Anyone care to share "been there/done that" PSAT test day tips for us newbies?

Make sure your watch does not have an alarm set that will interrupt the test.

Bring a calculator that is approved and be familiar with how to use it if it's new to you.

Depending on the school, be prepared for chaos. No one seemed to know what was going on when we did it last year. I know I should be training my student to take care of things on hero own, but that day I physically walked her in to the school office to figure out where she was supposed to go and then walked with her to the designated classroom and spoke with a teacher there to make sure everything was set for her to do the test.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

Make sure that the calculator batteries aren't so old that they die in the middle of the test.  *sigh*  I felt so bad.

Dress for different temperatures -- such as short sleeves but take a sweater or jacket.  You never know if the room will be too warm or too cool.

Give your student your state's home school code before he leaves so he knows what to enter in that box if the test administrator does not.

I found it here. I hope it's current!

I'm sending mine with the code, but according to the latest info, it is no longer needed as there isn't a spot for it. (There is a spot to mark, "homeschooled.")

• Like 1

I'm sending mine with the code, but according to the latest info, it is no longer needed as there isn't a spot for it. (There is a spot to mark, "homeschooled.")

Huh. I hope that makes it _easier_ to get the score reports this year. IIRC, I had so much trouble getting my sons' scores last year and had to keep trying different "school codes"... CA's home school code, national home school code that, I guess, is usually used for SAT's, the code of b&m high school where the boys took the test,....

• Like 1

Consider setting up a new college-email only address. We've been swamped with emails from various colleges. This would have made it so much easier.

Don't forget the snack, water bottle, and jacket. Encourage children to actually eat the snack because it is a long test. You don't want to run out of energy 3/4th of the way through. 

And, yes, memorized that homeschool code. Our local private school is where most of the kids here take the PSAT - and they are have you use their school code. You still get the results, but you have to wait for the school to call you. 

• Like 2

I read that in the supervisors manual and the school's co-ordinator said he had called up and been told that too.

• Like 1

You do not need it. If you fill in the homeschooled box on the form, you do not to fill in any other information in box 22 where the school code goes.

You can read the test supervisor's manual online: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/k12-educators/test-day-procedures

At the end of the supervisor's manual is a sample test form. You print this out and go over it with your kid if you like.

• Like 1