Menu

Intex pool question

Bear23

So we got one of these this pass summer.  It's now mid October and it's still up.  The husband who said he was going to take care of it never did and now he's pretty gone until next year summer.  I am just gonna add another tarp on it and call it good for the year. Anyone else just left it up? We live in Virginia near the VA/NC state line so not terribly cold winters.  I don't know anyone who has one. Everyone I know either don't have a pool or have an inground pool

Our new neighbors leave theirs up.  They drained the water and left the drain open so rain can drain out.  The didn't even put a tarp over it.  I guess in the spring they go down with a lawn/leaf vac, vaccuum it out, then scrub it with soft scrub with bleach, and then fill it up with water. 

Somehow I doubt that's what you're supposed to do though, they had the greenest pool water I've ever seen all summer, and still swam in it.  I wouldn't let our kids get in it because that blue green algae is toxic, and they never seemed to shock the water, even after they let babies swim in it naked.  We're on a bluff over a creek, and their yard is a little lower on the hill than ours is, so it was really obvious they weren't caring for the water.

We had a small one a few summers ago.  DH was too busy working to deal with it, so I found a rubber mallet in his tools and took it apart.  Most of the time I didn't need the mallet, you just squeeze the plastic things and they pop free.  If you have kids that are old enough to carry the pieces of pipe and pile them up  for you it will go much faster.  I found a rolling recycle bin for $10 at a hardware store and just stored the pieces in there for the winter because I was certain I wasn't strong enough to roll it back into the box it came in.  The next summer was when several of us got lyme disease in the backyard, so we took the pool down and got rid of it.  After that our yard time was devoted to ripping out the landscaping that made the place attractive to ticks.

we leave ours up.  I run the pump a couple of hours every few days just to circulate the water and run the salt water machine around.  If we have any freezing weather (rare but a couple of months may dip into the freezing weather), I will run the pump every day or else I have to drain the pump/filter to keep it from freezing up.   I'm farther south than you so our winters are mild and don't make draining the whole pool and then refilling it up in the spring worth it.   I can keep the chemistry good throughout the winter and then just a good shock in the spring and we are ready to go.

We did this one winter with ours and the next summer it ripped (while we were in it, that was fun!) and we had to throw it away. I don't recommend leaving it up. Then again we live in Maine and get more severe winter weather than you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk