Menu

Classical Conversations... Perspective

TheRosySeven

I've read through a ton of posts on Classical Conversations, all of which have been good and bad reviews. However, I'm not looking for a review as much as I'm looking for someone to help with a little perspective. 

We've had experience with CC for the past three years. Every year I'm torn between sticking with the program or completely flushing it. This year, we're sitting out because of an out of state move. We also have a great classical academy at our church that is cheaper and similar in nature but not the exact same material. 

I want to keep all my material for CC but honestly, I'm having a hard time fitting it all into the schedule plus what we're getting at the academy and the everyday priorities e.g. reading, math, spelling, english.....

I almost have a guilty feeling for not using it but stop myself from pulling the plug completely. Anyone in the same position or have been in the same position?

Should I let it all go or determine to find a spot for it in our day?

• Like 1

If you have it, you could try to add some in when it is in context of what you are learning. One of my issues with CC is that they often memorize in a vacuum unless they let CC drive their studies. They recommend SOTW, for example, but they are a three year cycle when SOTW is four, so it will definitely be off. I'd love to have their memory work and pull a chant or piece of memory that ties in with what we are learning, but I don't see how to do history sentences as much because it's harder to tie in for me. Ymmv.

Set a fifteen minute memory time each morning and get through any memory pieces you'd like to incorporate. This year, I just made a binder of things to memorize, and we go through a few pieces or songs each morning with a weekly memory verse until it's memorized and move onto the next piece.

IMHO, CC seems too focused on memory in the early years and not enough on context or story or marinating in the ideas and rabbit trails of interest. Every time I look at it, I realize I really would just like the memory work to use when applicable.

• Like 5

When my kids were very young we did all 3 cycles of CC. We left after the third year, but I'm so glad we had that experience, especially with learning all that memory work. Yes, it is all done without context, but there's no way to memorize all that information and have time for context.

Now that my kids are in middle school, we are reaping the rewards of all that memory work. I've kept my CC stuff and I use every opportunity to put the memory work into context with all our subjects. I pull the timeline cards and history sentences of whatever we're learning about in history, I hear my kids singing the formulas under their breath as they solve math problems like the area of a circle, we've flown through formal Latin studies because they had memorized all the declension and conjugation endings, etc.

I'd does take some intentionality to seamlessly weave the memory work into your studies, but the rewards are well worth it. I don't even bother with having them review the memory work for memory work's sake. Most of the time, especially with history and science sentences, they only have a vague recollection, but it's enough of a peg to hang new information.

So I encourage you to make the most of those three years you put in and just find ways to incorporate the memory work into what you are already studying and move away from the CC model of treating it as a separate subject with constant review.

Best wishes!

• Like 1

Let it go if you want to!

I've never done CC, but I do know what it's like to have a thoroughly BEAUTIFUL enrichment program sitting on the shelf, making me feel as if I owe it to the kids, myself, God, whoever, to do it b/c I can...

but we don't do better when we do too much. Actually, the opposite is true. And just because something worked for a season, we're don't have to be married to it forever.

I let my beautiful enrichment program go. You can too.

(OK, when I say I let it go, I mean that I stopped using it and eventually jettisoned the guilt, but it's still on my shelves in case it's a perfect fit for some imaginary future grandchild...)

• Like 6

IMO you have to always bloom where you're planted.  You don't know when if ever you will be back in CC and the Classical Academy sounds great. You are happy and the kids are happy.  

I would keep only what you really treasure and sell the rest and be thankful for that time in your life that you had and enjoyed CC, while also being thankful for this phase of your life.  :)

• Like 3

Thank you SO much for the feedback. All were very wonderful and have given exactly what I needed: a little perspective. It's really tough when you're in a homeschooling perpetuating tunnel especially when you can't remember how you got there! Everything this year has gone by so fast. I'm going to keep what I love the most and allow myself to let go of what I know we won't get to or won't use. The memory work in CC really is gold and I can see how I can incorporate it into our studies at home. If not, I will let it go as well and just be thankful.

Thanks everyone!!

• Like 3

This is my 18th year homeschooling and my 4th year in CC. :)

I would just put it aside. If you do use any of it, I would choose the skip counting songs and, maybe the English stuff.

The last several weeks, our Foundations/Essentials director has been sharing how something we are learning that day in Foundations will connect later to something in Challenge. I have found that can be really encouraging - showing parents that there is actually a method to the madness and that the memory work is not just in isolation.

Do you have the cd's? You could just play those in the car sometimes. Then they are still getting some exposure without using it as any sort of curriculum;

• Like 1

This is my 18th year homeschooling and my 4th year in CC. :)

I would just put it aside. If you do use any of it, I would choose the skip counting songs and, maybe the English stuff.

The last several weeks, our Foundations/Essentials director has been sharing how something we are learning that day in Foundations will connect later to something in Challenge. I have found that can be really encouraging - showing parents that there is actually a method to the madness and that the memory work is not just in isolation.

Do you have the cd's? You could just play those in the car sometimes. Then they are still getting some exposure without using it as any sort of curriculum;

I all have three cycle of memory work cds. I think I'm going to keep the Foundations guide and the CDs. But I let go of the EEL guide. I may hold on to the timeline cards. I think those may be of some value later also :) I'm thinking of using SOWT as our main history curriculum and picking through the CC memory work that coincides with our work. 

• Like 1

Let it go if you want to!

I've never done CC, but I do know what it's like to have a thoroughly BEAUTIFUL enrichment program sitting on the shelf, making me feel as if I owe it to the kids, myself, God, whoever, to do it b/c I can...

but we don't do better when we do too much. Actually, the opposite is true. And just because something worked for a season, we're don't have to be married to it forever.

I let my beautiful enrichment program go. You can too.

(OK, when I say I let it go, I mean that I stopped using it and eventually jettisoned the guilt, but it's still on my shelves in case it's a perfect fit for some imaginary future grandchild...)

Word. I'm still fighting this impulse with one of my programs I want so desperately to love and just don't. Ugh. My kids love it too, which makes things even harder. But it's not getting done consistently and eating up mental space, so I think I'm giving it a few more months before it goes out the window.

It's hard, but Tibbie is right. If CC isn't doing it for you, don't stick with it no matter how much you tell yourself you SHOULD love it.