Menu

IEW key word tips

alisha

I have started IEW with my 4th grader. We are loosely working through All things Fun & Fascinating, and I have watched the Structure and Style DVD's.

So, my question is how do I guide the finding of key words? We've done about 6 key word outlines over the last few weeks, some together, some independent. But apparently, he has trouble choosing which words are the most important.

For instance, the sentence in the middle of a paragraph "It traveled 25,000 miles per hour-thirty times faster than a jet." He wanted to use craft,  traveled, 25,000, miles.  I keep asking-what is the most important things in the whole sentence. And I have him not repeat words from another sentences' key words-since we "already know it's about that". 

But what other tips can I give him to figure out which words are the key words, and how do I guide him into choosing 1 different word for a phrase (like using "they" instead of 2 people's names)?

Make sense? Or does he just need more guided practice with me? Do I need to go to the point of having him cross out all the "the", "a"  and other minor words? Or what?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Oh, loving IEW results, but we could use tips too! Also, we used a curriculum before IEW that allowed 3-5 words. Just 3 is really hard for my kids sometimes. Does anyone allow more than 3? Hope you don't mind me tacking on that question, OP.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

What I found to work the best for us was allowing any 3 words and freebies to be chosen and then putting it aside for the next day. On the following day I would have my kid use the outline to tell me back the story. I would have the story/essay in front of me to check that my kid was able to accurately retell. If there were hesitations or inaccuracies we would go back together and choose different words that would correct the error or help to remember the information. My kid would then retell from the new outline to see the improvement. We would keep working at it until the oral narration was correct and flowed easily and my kid was naturally adding in their own enhancements to the original writing.

Yes it takes additional time but I wouldn't skip it. Once the kid makes the connection on their own as to the why of choosing key words, it should come more naturally.

• Like 8

I have started IEW with my 4th grader. We are loosely working through All things Fun & Fascinating, and I have watched the Structure and Style DVD's.

So, my question is how do I guide the finding of key words? We've done about 6 key word outlines over the last few weeks, some together, some independent. But apparently, he has trouble choosing which words are the most important.

For instance, the sentence in the middle of a paragraph "It traveled 25,000 miles per hour-thirty times faster than a jet." He wanted to use craft,  traveled, 25,000, miles.  I keep asking-what is the most important things in the whole sentence. And I have him not repeat words from another sentences' key words-since we "already know it's about that". 

But what other tips can I give him to figure out which words are the key words, and how do I guide him into choosing 1 different word for a phrase (like using "they" instead of 2 people's names)?

Make sense? Or does he just need more guided practice with me? Do I need to go to the point of having him cross out all the "the", "a"  and other minor words? Or what?

Thanks!

:)  This is normal.  It can take quite a bit of time for some kids to get used to the process.  

The main thing is not to stress him out or think he is doing anything wrong.  He isn't.  He should use whatever words he thinks will help him remember.  Let him experiment by selecting whatever three words he thinks might work, then he needs to "test" his outline right away.  If it isn't working for him, let him find different words.  (I don't see the word craft in the sentence you provided so I am a little confused as to where "craft" came from).  I don't see anything wrong with what he chose (except for craft) as long as afterwards he can remember what the sentence was referring to.  And if he can't, let him brainstorm other words that might help more.  Let him decide.  Let him experiment.  No pressure.  Let him play around with it.  If that means doing the lessons at half speed until the process makes sense to him, fine, do it at half speed.  

And if he needs to pick three words, then test just that sentence instead of the whole outline before moving on to the next sentence, let him do that for a while.  Break it into smaller chunks.

You might help him figure out words to convert to symbols.  For instance, he could have used the abbreviation for miles per hour (m.p.h.) and still been allowed another word.  He can use as many numbers and abbreviations and other symbols as he wants as long as he can remember why he used them.

• Like 1

And if he is wanting to use the "minor" words like "a" and "the", and keeps doing it, ask him to try out the outline with those words.  If it doesn't work, ask him to pick other words and just keep practicing until he finds words that will help him remember.  He is testing his outline, not himself.  He isn't doing anything "wrong", he is just testing which types of words will help his particular brain remember the material.  Some words are going to help him more than others.  Trial and error.  :)

• Like 1

My 3rd grade daughter is just starting SWI-A, but last year we did Bible Heroes. All throughout Bible Heroes, I worked with her to create the KWOs. After we created the outline, she would recite the story back to me. I usually did it the same day, but I think it would've been better to do it the next day (when the original story wasn't so fresh in her brain). We would make adjustments as needed, and then we'd rewrite the story together. She would dictate the sentences to me, I wrote them on a white board, and then she copied off of the white board. 

I think it just takes lots of practice and guidance. Now that we're starting SWI-A, she's much better at picking out the important words. She still requires a little help here and there, especially with longer sentences, but I no longer have to sit with her to do the whole thing. Learning how to make freebies (symbols, abbreviations, etc) is also easier for her now. 

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of the tips here. My DD is doing The Narnia theme book in a class while I am having DS9 do SWI A at home. Testing the outlines is super important for him...he has been learning a lot thru that process of what works and what doesn't. When my DD shows me the outlines her instructor leads the class in doing, I am amazed at how many abbreviations and little "picture reminders" her outlines have. Most lines have 5 or 6 items, it is just that only 3 are words that count. DS rarely thinks of things like that on his own unless I "hint" at a good picture or abbreviation.

• Like 1

Some random tips:

Photocopy the passage (or type it out) and have the student underline or highlight 3 key words in each sentence.  Then go back and write them down.  This separates the selecting from the writing.

Change the instruction to 3 key words per independent clause or even per clause.  If you're using a passage with multi-clause sentences, it is pretty difficult to find just 3 words to convey the essence.  This also doubles as a grammar exercise.

For sentences containing numbers, make the numbers freebies.  So in the case of your example

It traveled 25,000 miles per hour-thirty times faster than a jet.

I'd call "25,000 miles per hour" and "thirty times" each one word.

Provide a bit of scaffolding.  For example, you could spend some time creating keyword outlines with your student, meaning that you'd pick the words together.  Or even back off a bit further, and *you* highlight the keywords and have him create the outline from them.

Keep in mind that the idea behind the keyword outline isn't so much to stick to exactly 3 words, it is to get your student to create his own passage from skeletal information.  So the passage writing is what is important, not so much how you get there.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 3

I used IEW with both ds and dd and loved the results. At first, I modeled key word choices. As he said on the DVD set, numbers and symbols are allowed. When they started choosing key words, I may guide them by saying, "what are you most likely to remember?" The subject of the sentence is usually known.

So in the example you mentioned, he could use:

Traveled, 25,000 mi., faster, jet

once you use "traveled", you'd remember WHAT traveled.

With time, it gets easier like everything else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of symbols here (they are free), also AP mentioned that narratives might need more than 3 key words. Remember, especially since you are just beginning, that it's about the process at this point. The content stuff will sort itself out as he works on his writing/ checklists from the kwo.

I have been working through ATF&F with my 3rd grader and it has really been a help to her when I say "3 words she chose" out loud and then ask her does that sound better or does "2 words she chose and 1 I think is better" sound better as a way to make a sentence? Usually she realizes pretty quickly which is a better choice. Over the past month with help like that she's been able to choose words on her own pretty well.