Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
HSMWB

Like to solve mysteries? Help me figure out Latin text book from 20 years ago - please

I took Latin at a public high school about 24 years ago. I am trying to find a copy of the text book that we used. Any suggestions on how to go about finding it?

What I remember - I think our teacher said it was a new book, or at least it was a new book for our school. It was smaller then a normal sized text book. At the beginning it introduced words for families. Each chapter was about a Roman brother and sister and their family and life in Italy. I remember it having stick drawings on lots of pages. It was certainly 'secular' no religion mentioned, but possibly mythology as it pertained to Ancient Rome. The school was in WA if that helps in any way.

Edited by HSMWB

Yes, definitely sounds like Ecce Romani. 

If you actually want a copy, let me know. I am nearly positive I have a couple floating around my schoolroom, and I will send to you for postage. 

• Like 1

It sounds like the Latin book our school (in Maine) used, too.  I also think it's Ecce Romani.  "In pictura est puella romana, nomine Claudia."  Why do I have brain cells dedicated to remembering this??

My sister took Latin in public high school in the early 90s.  The name Ecce Romani sounds familiar.  

I remember something about Cornelia and Flavia:  "Dum Cornelia sedet, Flavia cantat."  Maybe.  (I took Spanish and French, so I don't know for sure.)  I pronounced it as Dumb Cornelia said it.

Yes, that must be it.  The names Claudia and Flavia even sound familiar - I think I can remember some of those sentences. Thanks so much!

And yes, I would love to get a copy - I will send you a PM katilac.