Menu

Grocery shopping for 300 - Can you help? :)

BlsdMama

Okay - so my aunt was able to help for some of this.

The last breakfast at the church served 359.

30 gallons of OJ

8 gallons of milk

Butter (patties - Sam's sells them, we figure 600 servings?)

Now the hard part because they ordered by the case and I'm getting bulk and because they did ham and we're doing sausage....  

10lb packages of pancake mix serves 270 pancakes.  If we guessed at 3 per guest, then we are thinking 900 pancakes, right?  So, 4 packages should do it?  Or even 5?  Or 6?  (Costco sells these for $6/ea so it's no big deal to plan for an "extra" 270 pancakes, lol.)  

Sausage.

My dad is a farmer.  He donated a piggie.  We had the entire porker turned into breakfast links.  I am the proud beneficiary of approximately 180 pounds of breakfast links.... But I have NO idea how much we should make.  All of it?

Eggs?  2 eggs per person for 350 is 700 eggs, so 60 dozen-ish.  Is that too many?  

If anyone has any wild guesses based on some tiny bit of experience, I'm all ears.

While I am all for extra, at the same time I do not have space for an extra 20 dozen eggs in my fridge.  We are fronting the groceries for this with the exception of OJ and a $50 donation from Wal-Mart so buying a huge amount of extra that I will give away isn't attractive.   At the same time i do NOT want to run out so I'm willing to buy extra, but I don't want to be left with crazy amounts, kwim?

And for anyone who has been following the chaos that is CJ's Eagle project - it is all coming together!  Thank God for small towns, willing and able volunteers, and amazing, wonderful people.  The breakfast will hopefully raise the $3200 needed.  After that, the nursing home is pitching in the difference between a vinyl gazebo rather than wood AND my cousin is doing the concrete work free of charge.  (He is getting a Dutch apple pie though! ;) )  CJ spoke with the local troop and they are getting volunteer hours for helping with all of it as well and I am in love with our hometown. :)

• Like 7

Estimate 4-6 servings per pound of sausage.  If you cook too many, you can refreeze them for a couple months.  

What size pancakes?  Three roughly the size of a salad plate, then yes.  Three the size of a saucer, not so much.  Since it's a dry good, just have the extra bags available and assess if you need to mix more as you go.  If you don't use all of them, they usually keep for about a year.  

60 dozen eggs sounds pretty good to make sure you have enough.  If everyone takes two eggs, then that's 50 dozen.  That's 10 dozen left over. You could go for only 50.  As long as they are refrigerated, eggs will keep for six weeks.  Then if your family still has some left, they can be frozen for using in baked goods. 

Edited by Elizabeth 2
  • Like 2

Estimate 4-6 servings per pound of sausage.  If you cook too many, you can refreeze them for a couple months.  

What size pancakes?  Three roughly the size of a salad plate, then yes.  Three the size of a saucer, not so much.  Since it's a dry good, just have the extra bags available and assess if you need to mix more as you go.  If you don't use all of them, they usually keep for about a year.  

60 dozen eggs sounds pretty good to make sure you have enough.  If everyone takes two eggs, then that's 50 dozen.  That's 10 dozen left over. You could go for only 50.  As long as they are refrigerated, eggs will keep for six weeks.  Then if your family still has some left, they can be frozen for using in baked goods. 

So the biggest number at our local church is 359.  That assumes church affiliation though.  We chose *not* to have it at the church so that the whole town would feel welcome.  Now, that said, it is for the senior assisted living facility.  I can honestly say we expect about 80 relatives that would not normally attend the church breakfast.  BUT, it is competing with the next town's over breakfast.  We've been given guesstimates of 200 - 400+.

I don't mind prepping for 400 and expecting 300.  But if I buy for 400 and only get 200 I'll be sad.

That said, eggs are dirt cheap right now and the grocery store is giving me a break on pricing.  The pig was donated.  The pancakes are cheap.   I don't mind making for 400. But this uncertainty is driving me nuts, lol.

We ended up ordering 80 dozen. (My kids can eat 20 dozen in two weeks.)  Anything more than that we'll just give them away, maybe to the assisted living facility?

So you think 4-6 servings per pound of links?  If I said 4 per pound and had 350 people show up that's approximately 87 pounds.  So if we had 100 pounds ready to go, we'd be set I would think.......

The breakfasts I've attended had servers who brought each diner a prepared plate and then servers came around with seconds on things. "Anyone want another pancake here?" that sort of thing.

Might some items be returnable if they aren't opened?

Could the egg count you were given include eggs for the pancake batter?

I think you could offer extra ingredients at the end/last hour of the event in exchange for an "at least" donation.

I never get as many pancakes as a batch says it'll make because they always assume I'm making 3 inch pancakes. So you might need more mix if you're making them larger than the package calls for. 

As far as sausage, I'd go by links rather than by the pound...I would think 2.5 links per person would be plenty. Some will have three, some will have one or two. 

Eggs- Like sausage, I'd probably estimate 2.5 per person. 

Please tell me you are serving the plates and not letting people help themselves...if you let folks fix their own they will take more and you might find more thrown in the trash. Is this considered an all you can eat event or a regular breakfast? I mean, when you go out to eat it's not all you can eat. 

Hope your event is wildly successful!!!

Will the sausage be in links or patties?  How large is each piece?

I'm thinking that dry goods you purchase from Costco could be returned if they're unopened.  Do you have a Gordon Food Service?  They allow returns for most items if unopened (probably not perishable items).

I think 2.5 or maybe 3 eggs per person is good as well.  Will this be a mix of kids, teens, adults, older adults?  There may be some people who eat 5 eggs, but it seems like most will not.

Good luck with the project - I'm excited that you have a great plan for moving forward!

Will the sausage be in links or patties? How large is each piece?

I'm thinking that dry goods you purchase from Costco could be returned if they're unopened. Do you have a Gordon Food Service? They allow returns for most items if unopened (probably not perishable items).

I think 2.5 or maybe 3 eggs per person is good as well. Will this be a mix of kids, teens, adults, older adults? There may be some people who eat 5 eggs, but it seems like most will not.

Good luck with the project - I'm excited that you have a great plan for moving forward!

GFS will not return anything that requires refrigeration or what they condider perishable, baked goods.

Costco takes back anything, but they throw the refrigerated or baked goods away.

Another idea is that if you buy Krustez pancake mix and send in copies of the receipts and tell them it was a fundraiser they will send you back a portion of the cost of the mix. There is a limit but it is something like a $100 the info is on the side of the bag/box

Jenn

I never get as many pancakes as a batch says it'll make because they always assume I'm making 3 inch pancakes. So you might need more mix if you're making them larger than the package calls for. 

As far as sausage, I'd go by links rather than by the pound...I would think 2.5 links per person would be plenty. Some will have three, some will have one or two. 

Eggs- Like sausage, I'd probably estimate 2.5 per person. 

Please tell me you are serving the plates and not letting people help themselves...if you let folks fix their own they will take more and you might find more thrown in the trash. Is this considered an all you can eat event or a regular breakfast? I mean, when you go out to eat it's not all you can eat. 

Hope your event is wildly successful!!!

We plan on serving but allowing for seconds.  :)  Though I doubt we'll get many with seconds, kwim?  You just don't - pancakes are so filling along with eggs & sausage.  

We didn't put all you can eat on it - just pancake breakfast.  

Another idea is that if you buy Krustez pancake mix and send in copies of the receipts and tell them it was a fundraiser they will send you back a portion of the cost of the mix. There is a limit but it is something like a $100 the info is on the side of the bag/box

Jenn

We did find that out about Krusteaz!  They reimburse half the costs.  6 bags at $36 with half reimbursed is really inexpensive.  That would serve 1600+ pancakes?!  So if we didn't go with 4-5 bags and went with 6 or even 7, it's an additional $6 (or $3 allowing for reimbursement) per bag.  Minimal.

I hope this goes as well as it has been so far.  I'm incredibly nervous!

• Like 2

I recently helped with a breakfast for 300 and they did frozen pancakes from Sam's that they heated in full size chafing dishes rather than coking from scratch. I was impressed at how easy they were to reheat. Volunteers just had to separate them and not put too many in each pan.

Have you thought through the logistics of his you will cook/reheat for such a large crowd? We had a time crunch trying to get that many people through the serving line and breakfast finished so they could be on time for a conference session, so if you don't have the same time constraints, people won't mind waiting longer for their food.

Have someone man a drink station and pour drinks, so guests can just grab a drink and keep moving, rather than stop, put food down, then pour a drink. You didn't mention coffee, but that would be another essential for a breakfast of that size. Make sure someone knows how to make coffee in whatever industrial size percolator or pot you plan to use. Individual creamed and sweeteners on tables are easier than having people fix coffee at a station.

• Like 1