Menu

Birth announcements - gift solicitation?

Gwenny

When you recieve a birth announcement, do you feel like you have to send a gift?  Does it appear that your fishing for presents when sending one?  I'm due in a couple of weeks and thought it might be nice to send out announcements.  Especially since we moved a couple years ago and friends and family are further away.  I don't need any baby presents and I don't want to look greedy by sending them out. 

I loving receiving birth announcements, but I recently heard that some find them tacky.  I've not received many myself, but I've never sent a gift as a result.  Mostly because I attended the shower as well and thought it redundant to give another.

I haven't seen a paper birth announcement in ages.  Like decades.  I would just do it electronically, or include the info in your Christmas card.

I don't think I'd feel obligated to send a gift - it would depend on the relationship.  If it was someone for whom I'd attend a shower, then I'd send a gift.

The only birth announcements I get are from family and friends and they send out via email with the photo of their newborn while at the hospital. No gifts required but we do send cash gifts for relatives as per our family customs. My husband get birth announcements from colleagues as well but the company takes care of the baby shower so no one needs to send a gift.

I don't find birth announcements by email or mail tacky unless I don't know the person well. However many do birth announcements via Facebook so I don't find it tacky seeing an acquaintance's birth announcement on Facebook. It is just the fastest and cheapest way to get the word out and "show off" your newborn.

No. They are announcing the existence of a new human being for informational purposes. Not a gift grab.

I received one just a few weeks ago. 😊

Edited by Kinsa

I've sent them and received many.  I only received gifts from people who didn't attend my shower for my first child and received many more gifts for the second because I did not have a shower.  The gifts were never expected.  I've also sent gifts when I did not attend the shower or there wasn't a shower.

• Like 2

When you receive a birth announcement, do you feel like you have to send a gift?  Does it appear that your fishing for presents when sending one?  I'm due in a couple of weeks and thought it might be nice to send out announcements.  Especially since we moved a couple years ago and friends and family are further away.  I don't need any baby presents and I don't want to look greedy by sending them out. 

I loving receiving birth announcements, but I recently heard that some find them tacky.  I've not received many myself, but I've never sent a gift as a result.  Mostly because I attended the shower as well and thought it redundant to give another.

No, I don't feel obligated.

As long as you don't include any sort of gift registry information, and you don't send them to 300 of your "closest" friends, then it won't look as if you're fishing for presents. :-)

And congratulations!

• Like 3

I knew a woman who was greedy - so she thought everyone else was greedy too, and announcements of any kind were only about a gift grab.  she specifically instructed me to send announcements to people she thought would send a gift, so for many years I didn't send announcements for anything - becasue I didn't want people to think I was greedy.

I enjoy receiving announcements from others to share their excitement, it doesn't occur to me someone is fishing for a present even if they are. (unless they include a gift list . . . . . though there is one person  . . . )

I purchase gifts for those whom I wish, and don't if I'm not interested. 

eta: my point is - some people will think it's a gift grab and others will wish you joy (even if it's not in the form of a gift.).  if you are only sending announcements to share your happy news, then act/think as if everyone receiving an announcement belongs to the second group. (if they're don't, it says  more about them.)

Edited by gardenmom5

I have always considered birth announcements, engagement announcements, and the like as an announcement of something special. In some cases I may give a gift because I planned to regardless of the announcement, but it has never occurred to me that gifts were expected. Gift requests are what baby showers, housewarming parties, and wedding showers are for. I also don't feel obligated to give a gift just because I receive an invitation to a shower, wedding, or celebration party. In the latter case, I give a gift if I attend or if I was planning to give a gift even if not invited.

• Like 1

I don't think they are a gift grab at all.  My friends that have sent them generally waited until mid-30's to try for a baby, then had sometimes several years of infertility, and are just so thrilled to finally have children they want to share the joy with everyone that loves them.  In almost all cases, formal printed announcements are not only charming, they come from people who can afford them and are not in any want or need of gifts.

I love them. I'm not on social media and miss out with the people who do everything on there, so I appreciate one in the mail. I would never see it as a gift grab. It's sharing a wonderful event!