Menu

Advanced Language Lessons?

It's finished...and in production! Don't have an actual publication date yet but I will keep the board posted on its progress.

I am so excited!! My son Jack used FLL 4 last year. He told me today about his new English course "Mom, I'm glad we did FLL last year. If not, I would be so lost right now. "

Thanks for your hard work 💕

Does anyone know what 'in production' means in terms of guessing a release date? I don't want to ask SWB because anything she says will be taken as gospel. But for those who have an idea of how this kind of thing works, does this mean it seems reasonable for it to be ready for 2017-2018? Sooner? Later? Guesses?

It's finished...and in production! Don't have an actual publication date yet but I will keep the board posted on its progress.

Is it directed to the student?

In the transition from WWE to WWS, we were thrilled that WWS is directed to the student. It was time (for both of us) for that change to take place. So that worked out well.

With FLL, we all reached a point where we simply maxed out our patience for grammar to be so heavily teacher-directed. All the teaching was in the teacher text, more or less, and every little thing was teacher-directed... to the point of dread. (sorry)

For all three of my girls, we moved on to CLE LA, just to have some breathing room with grammar. But I admit that there are some aspects of FLL that I do miss. My students do not miss it, though. They enjoy the relative independence of CLE, and I like the fact that the teaching is directed to the students.

So... Advanced Language Lessons will be directed to the student, yes?

Edited by Sahamamama2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is referenced in a class for the WTM Academy so it is coming out by fall. I still haven't seen a date.  

• Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: A Complete Course for Young Writers, Aspiring Rhetoricians, and Anyone Else Who Needs to Understand How English WorksCore Handbook
  • Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: Student Workbook 1
  • Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: Key to Student Workbook 1

*Please note: the Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind series is forthcoming from the Well-Trained Mind Press.  Texts will be available for purchase before classes start in September.

• Like 1

This is referenced in a class for the WTM Academy so it is coming out by fall. I still haven't seen a date.  

• Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: A Complete Course for Young Writers, Aspiring Rhetoricians, and Anyone Else Who Needs to Understand How English WorksCore Handbook
  • Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: Student Workbook 1
  • Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: Key to Student Workbook 1

*Please note: the Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind series is forthcoming from the Well-Trained Mind Press.  Texts will be available for purchase before classes start in September.

Thank you! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any more information available about how this series works?

Three of the WTM academy classes say they use book 1 of this series, the basic, Intermediate, and advanced.

How many books are there in the series?

How many of them are coming out in the fall?

Can a seventh or eighth grader use the books that will be available in the fall and cover everything that Rod and Staff level 7 or 8 covers?

Inquiring minds who are shopping and planning for next year want to know...

• Like 1

I don't think anyone except a WTM employee can answer these questions for you since none of us have seen the book(s).

I THINK there is one master book which covers all the levels you see on the WTMAcademy page. Then, individual workbooks can be used for beginner, intermediate, & advanced work. But, again, we don't know yet.  I'm assuming at least the master book is coming out this fall. I have no idea if the workbooks are ready for publishing yet or not.

I think we are all  :drool5: .

• Like 2

Just to add on to what RootAnn said... it is possible for WTMA to use the book before it's published. When my son took Intro to Expository Writing, they gave us PDF copies of the student pages for WWE 3 and 4. Or at least for select lessons. They didn't use the whole book.

Edited by TKDmom
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

But SWB said they would have it in stock before Amazon or anywhere else. I'm drooling so bad! Are samples anywhere yet?

Edited by Paradox5

Just looking at the Amazon page now, and thought I'd add the links for everyone's reference:

Core Instructor Text (4 years of material): Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind Core Instructor Text

Student Workbook 1 (1 year of material): Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind Student Workbook 1

Also available are an answer key for Student Workbook 1, and a handbook of rules. Looks like an extremely thorough curriculum! Just judging by the Amazon blurbs, though, I think my kids might need another year of elementary-level grammar instruction before we move on to this one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You should be able to get the electronic version more than a week earlier than Amazon has it. You just have to wait until WTM says the electronic version is available to purchase - which'll be late Sept or early Oct. 

I'd rather give my $$ to WTM Press for this, especially if I wanted the electronic version.

Are you worried you won't hear about it right away?

I am debating pre-ordering from Amazon versus ordering from WTM Press. I think I want the electronic version of the workbook.  I wish I could pre-order through WTM. They are saying you can't though.  

You should be able to get the electronic version more than a week earlier than Amazon has it. You just have to wait until WTM says the electronic version is available to purchase - which'll be late Sept or early Oct. 

I'd rather give my $$ to WTM Press for this, especially if I wanted the electronic version.

Are you worried you won't hear about it right away?

I think I want the electronic version of the workbook because I would rather not unbind and copy for the two kids but I want the paper copy of the teacher's, rule book, etc. I might have to do a mix of ordering.

Or maybe they will let us know when we can order the paper copies from their site and it will work out because I have the six week sample. I don't know. Originally I was going to wait until I finished JAG but I am almost giddy over this and want to start it next week!  =)

Ive looked through the sample a little bit but wanted to get opinions.

Does anyone think this will be the kind of thing that can be used independently in later middle school? I expect to do grammar with my fifth grader, but from there I spend less time directly teaching and usually only go over what is completely new when using other grammar programs. WTM grammar looks like it is completely scripted, but I am hoping that can be adapted. Thoughts?

Ive looked through the sample a little bit but wanted to get opinions.

Does anyone think this will be the kind of thing that can be used independently in later middle school? I expect to do grammar with my fifth grader, but from there I spend less time directly teaching and usually only go over what is completely new when using other grammar programs. WTM grammar looks like it is completely scripted, but I am hoping that can be adapted. Thoughts?

I've only begun to read through the samples, but at this point I think you would loose a lot of what makes the program unique without the interaction, especially in that first year.  You might be able to spend less time and make it more independent in later years once they have been through the program that first time and are relying more on the reference book.  For us, that is part of the appeal, my kids haven't been retaining when I'm not directly teaching grammar and just handing them independent work.  ymmv

I think I want the electronic version of the workbook because I would rather not unbind and copy for the two kids but I want the paper copy of the teacher's, rule book, etc. I might have to do a mix of ordering.

Or maybe they will let us know when we can order the paper copies from their site and it will work out because I have the six week sample. I don't know. Originally I was going to wait until I finished JAG but I am almost giddy over this and want to start it next week!  =)

I said the same thing, until I realized the workbook is 450 pages.  Even if I have it done, copying will only save a few dollars over the print price.

• Like 2

I said the same thing, until I realized the workbook is 450 pages.  Even if I have it done, copying will only save a few dollars over the print price.

True!! I get 2.5 cent copies with Office Max (b/c of HSLDA--I know, I know, but the copy benefits have saved me tons). 

I've only begun to read through the samples, but at this point I think you would loose a lot of what makes the program unique without the interaction, especially in that first year. You might be able to spend less time and make it more independent in later years once they have been through the program that first time and are relying more on the reference book. For us, that is part of the appeal, my kids haven't been retaining when I'm not directly teaching grammar and just handing them independent work. ymmv

Thanks, that's about what I am thinking, too. It sounds like the workbooks for subsequent levels aren't that different in difficulty, so it would be okay to put an eighth grader in book one if they have already gotten through level 7 of Rod and Staff, and wouldn't hurt to see grammar from a different angle. But, I would not want to have to go back to doing grammar daily with an eighth grader who doesn't need me to do that anymore. Hmm.

They have been certainly been generous with the samples, as always. And I have never been disappointed with anything from WTM Press.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...