Menu

Comfy pants that don't show all my lovely love handles etc.

Only me

I am average height and weight but due to my health I don't exercise very much. I'm also 50 so things are starting to move south :(. I hate wearing jeans around the house. I'm just not comfortable. If I had the right figure I would live in exercise pants etc. There are so many cute exercise clothes out right now but I hate it when it shows off my love handles and saggy rear lol. I also love wearing flannel shirts this time of year but nothing looks right except jeans. I want something that's comfortable to wear but that I won't be embarrassed to wear if someone stops by or I go for a quick trip to the store. I usually change to jeans if I go out. Any ideas? Pictures or links would be great thanks.

• Like 1

I like to wear long, loose-fitting tops. If they comes down to mid-thigh, I can still get away with leggings for pants when I'm at home. I wear them with flowing skirts or linen pants if I need to go out.

For example, google  "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" and "clothes", "style", or "Judi Dench". You'll get some ideas.

• Like 1

I wear drawstring nurse's scrubs. Part of the problems is that I have a 34" inseam, and the other problem is that I have a short waist. And my belly pooches out.

I work out at the gym nearly every day, doing mostly yoga and weights of late. Mine look good enough though that you'd never know they are scrubs.

Edited by G5052

Exactly.  These low cut jeans/pants are for the birds.  They are not flattering on most people. 

I know, I really want to tell women this when I see their love handles hanging out, you don't have to do that! Put those babies under wraps, much more comfortable too when you don't have to keep pulling up your pants. I buy jeans with some lycra too to keep everything nice and smooth.

• Like 4

I know, I really want to tell women this when I see their love handles hanging out, you don't have to do that! Put those babies under wraps, much more comfortable too when you don't have to keep pulling up your pants. I buy jeans with some lycra too to keep everything nice and smooth.

I can live with love handles, but I really don't want to see someone's butt crack or underwear.  Not the end of the world, I know, but yeah.  And I imagine a lot of people would be embarrassed if they knew their underwear and arse crack were hanging out.  What kind of pants don't cover your arse crack!?  Stupid...stupid pants.

• Like 7

Ll bean drawstring sweats. Higher on waist than yoga pants & not skin tight. I'll find you the link. Look fine with flannels or their matching zip up top they sell.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72395?feat=504199-GN3&page=ultrasoft-sweats-pants

Or lands end starfish stretchy pants. But those are more ",yoga" style.

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-starfish-pants/id_219545?sku_0=::BLA

Tunics over them for going out:). I used to always get them from Lands End but see them in stores lately.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

I can live with love handles, but I really don't want to see someone's butt crack or underwear.  Not the end of the world, I know, but yeah.  And I imagine a lot of people would be embarrassed if they knew their underwear and arse crack were hanging out.  What kind of pants don't cover your arse crack!?  Stupid...stupid pants.

On Fridays I go to a class that is based on yoga, but moves along quickly with music.

There are many times that I see butt cracks or underwear on the lady in front of me. It's a jammed class with everyone close by, so it's hard to miss. Some of the yoga pants really don't cover well, and some of them are sheer when you bend over. Frankly that soured me on yoga pants in general. 

• Like 1

Athleta makes some really nice high waisted tights and pants, like these:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1059481&vid=1&pid=138443002

The metro line has more structure than most yoga type pants, and the seams and pockets are super flattering. And the high waist keeps everything smooth and in place, and doesn't ride down like others tend to.

• Like 2

Athleta makes some really nice high waisted tights and pants, like these:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1059481&vid=1&pid=138443002

The metro line has more structure than most yoga type pants, and the seams and pockets are super flattering. And the high waist keeps everything smooth and in place, and doesn't ride down like others tend to.

Yep!  Athleta is my go to place for comfy pants!

• Like 1

I can live with love handles, but I really don't want to see someone's butt crack or underwear. Not the end of the world, I know, but yeah. And I imagine a lot of people would be embarrassed if they knew their underwear and arse crack were hanging out. What kind of pants don't cover your arse crack!? Stupid...stupid pants.

You haven't lived till you've been to the skating rink on a busy Saturday. Men and women bent over letting it all out for everyone to see.

I'm always amazed they don't realize everyone can see 1/2 their derrière, their thong up their arse or their lack of undies.

What is it that you like about those?    You saying you were embarrassed attracted my attention.   

I love my Land's End stretch cords so much that when they get a tear I turn them into cut-offs for around the house.  

• Like 1

What is it that you like about those?    You saying you were embarrassed attracted my attention.   

I love my Land's End stretch cords so much that when they get a tear I turn them into cut-offs for around the house.  

They are just ridiculously comfortable!  I have weird measurements and they're an easy fit for me.  Tailored clothes that fit me well are just so hard to find. 

I have chubby legs and they just look chubby in everything so I guess I haven't thought too hard about how I look in them vs. other pants. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 2

On Fridays I go to a class that is based on yoga, but moves along quickly with music.

There are many times that I see butt cracks or underwear on the lady in front of me. It's a jammed class with everyone close by, so it's hard to miss. Some of the yoga pants really don't cover well, and some of them are sheer when you bend over. Frankly that soured me on yoga pants in general. 

I'm now even more grateful I buy mine at walmart. Nice high waist. Not super thin. Not super tight. Just comfy. No butt crack shown, I promise. 

• 4 months later...

I had that exact same problem, the solution I chose was "become less fat."

Wow harsh. I'm actually not fat. I'm not as thin as I used to be and I so have love handles. I am unable to exercise a lot because I'm in a lot of pain. I'm having major back surgery in June and I also have an autoimmune disorder. Many of my meds cause weight gain.

Wow harsh. I'm actually not fat. I'm not as thin as I used to be and I so have love handles. I am unable to exercise a lot because I'm in a lot of pain. I'm having major back surgery in June and I also have an autoimmune disorder. Many of my meds cause weight gain.

The poster who said that has only 3 posts on the forum- clearly a troll.  I always wonder what sort of childhood trauma would lead a person to find nastiness amusing.  

ANYWAY... Try a pair of Jag jeans, I think they sell them at Macy's and Nordstrom.  They have a waistband similar to pregnancy jeans, but fit like normal jeans otherwise.  They look exactly like regular jeans, so they are great with flannels.  

I am so glad flannel shirts are back in style.  I tried one on again at Target this winter and as soon as I put it on, I had an immediate feeling of "This is me."  I hadn't been doing the flannel thing since high school, and seeing myself in it just made me feel like me again.  Needless to say, I picked up several and will never be without flannel again!!!  

• Like 2

I think you are right about a troll. I'm just super sensitive right now. I feel so out of control with my medical problems and having to take so many meds that make me gain weight. Plus I'm 50 😢 now which I'm having a hard time dealing with. What happened to my 30 something self who was in good shape and could wear whatever she wanted to? Anyway I love flannel shirts too. It's definitely me. I also like the soft waffle weave Henley style shirts that I used to wear under them on colder days. Have you seen any of those?

I think you are right about a troll. I'm just super sensitive right now. I feel so out of control with my medical problems and having to take so many meds that make me gain weight. Plus I'm 50 😢 now which I'm having a hard time dealing with. What happened to my 30 something self who was in good shape and could wear whatever she wanted to? Anyway I love flannel shirts too. It's definitely me. I also like the soft waffle weave Henley style shirts that I used to wear under them on colder days. Have you seen any of those?

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  Hang in there.  

I haven't seen long sleeve henleys around, but I'm sure you'd find them with google.  I'm one of those weirdos who hates having constriction around my armpits, lol.  So I tend to wear tank tops under my flannel shirts, and flannels have a nice loose pit area.  lol.  The very idea of wearing a long sleeve shirt under a long sleeve flannel is freaking me out!   :laugh:  :lol:

I like to wear long, loose-fitting tops. If they comes down to mid-thigh, I can still get away with leggings for pants when I'm at home. I wear them with flowing skirts or linen pants if I need to go out.

For example, google  "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" and "clothes", "style", or "Judi Dench". You'll get some ideas.

Definitely depends on build. Long and loose to mid-thigh makes me look significantly wider than I am. Add flowing skirt and I look like an elephant even though I'm in the overweight, not obese category (at least clinically speaking). Either the top or bottom must be fitted for me. And anything past my hip on top makes me look bigger.

• Like 1

I'll second the jag jeans. They are the best. I do not look good in jeans but actually got compliments when I switched to these. I get mine on Zappos.

Also on Zappos the Lucy everyday pant. I've had the same pair for years. They are very well made and wash up great.