Menu

Has anyone tried period underwear?

SeaConquest

They have the stuff that protects from leaking clear up the back, that is what makes them great for sleeping. I have had no problems with leaks at night, and I have had issues before with the extra long pads leaking.

As for the smell, well I am not going to lie, but the end of the day they do have a faint smell. As I mentioned before, this is not a smell that you can smell when they are on, only when you pull them down. I suppose people who sweat more or something may have a stronger scent.  I can say they do not smell as strong as a pad. I do not know about after childbirth...they were not out when I had my last baby. 

• Like 2

I've been wondering about these.  I specifically planned our Disney trip in the spring for a week when I should NOT be having my period. (Checking and double checking calendars, LOL, for all possible dates.)  Then what happens?  Oldest DD up and gets hers for the first time, so who knows what will be going on that week of travel.  *sigh*  Something like this might be helpful for a young girl relatively new at dealing with TTOTM.

• Like 1

I ordered these from Amazon because of the thread.   I wear a cup but I always like a backup in case I get it inserted wrong.  That rarely happens, but when it has, it would have been an inconvenient time if I hadn't had backup.   When it comes to not getting blood on clothes and I ok with a backup to the backup.   Particularly since I am a bleed myself anemic heavy bleeder.  

I fondly remember the disposable version from the hospital when I delivered DD.   

I go through an Ultra tampon every hour, which hold 15-18 grams each. These undies hold *up to* 10 mL, which I assume is their "heavy" panties. So, alas, I don't think these would work for me, unless I used them to catch my start-up, or as a back-up in case my tampon+pad leaked.

Kinsa, don't you need some sort of backup with that flow? I always need a backup with a tampon.

Yes, I use the Tampax Ultra tampon along with Always Infinity super pad. That can work for an hour or so on my heavy days.

Yes, I use the Tampax Ultra tampon along with Always Infinity super pad. That can work for an hour or so on my heavy days.

Good lord. I priced it and ablation is $2k here. No way am I ever being a slave to my cycles.

Always Infiniti pads rock. :) They're like thin little miracle pads. Except at night. All bets are off at night- it like the laws of gravity are suspended for fluids. Boo.

Can you attach pads to them?

I just want to mention that I have Dear Kates, and I had issues with attaching disposable pads to them. Well, not with attaching, but rather with peeling them back off - they'd stick too much to the underwear, and I'd be left with sticky/paper on them.  :glare:  I'm not sure if it was the fabric of them or what. I switched to reusable pads (Party in My Pants), and that solved that issue. (Plus I like the cloth pads much better - no clumping at the end of the day, less waste, and I just throw them in the wash with my regular cloths.)

I use all the things - a diva cup, cloth pads for backup, and Dear Kates for backup backup on my heaviest days (particularly overnight when my cup can overflow and my pads can shift). I'm so high maintenance :)

• Like 1

I am so glad someone asked this question, because I've been wanting to!  I was thinking these might be a good option for my dancing DD.  She had the worst luck last year getting her TOM for just about every dance event from January thru May.   I have to wait and see what her costumes look like this coming year so I know if panties underneath is even an option, but these could be a real benefit if they actually work. 

• Like 1

One thing I've always hated about pads is the smell. I always feel like I can faintly smell blood if it's not a fresh pad. Do these have the same problem?

I wonder if they'd be good to wear after giving birth.

I have not tried period underwear. I like my cloth pads too much. But as far as after birth, I just use Depends. 

I've been wondering about these. I specifically planned our Disney trip in the spring for a week when I should NOT be having my period. (Checking and double checking calendars, LOL, for all possible dates.) Then what happens? Oldest DD up and gets hers for the first time, so who knows what will be going on that week of travel. *sigh* Something like this might be helpful for a young girl relatively new at dealing with TTOTM.

Be prepared for that to throw your cycle off. Mine's been whacked since my oldest started. Happening when it's supposed to and whenever it wants. Grrr.

I've never heard of these before but I'm fascinated.

I actually made something like this awhile ago for my oldest DD who has incontinence issues. I took some new undies, sewed a layer of PUL (diaper cover material) to the outside in the leak area and several layers of flannel to the inside. If you sew this would be a really easy project. This thread is a good reminder that it's about time I made her some new ones that fit.

I'm curious about what fabric these are made from. Does anyone know?

• Like 1

What do you do at night? 

I have not tried period underwear. I like my cloth pads too much. But as far as after birth, I just use Depends.

What kind do you like?

I've never heard of these before but I'm fascinated.

I actually made something like this awhile ago for my oldest DD who has incontinence issues. I took some new undies, sewed a layer of PUL (diaper cover material) to the outside in the leak area and several layers of flannel to the inside. If you sew this would be a really easy project. This thread is a good reminder that it's about time I made her some new ones that fit.

I'm curious about what fabric these are made from. Does anyone know?

I just bought some and it came with an extra rectangle of fabric.  It was a bright blue, unlike the muted colors of the underwear.  I asked my husband what that was for?   He obviously didn't know.  But he did say that the fabric was the same stuff used in his athletic clothes.  Polyester and it wicks away moisture and it is slick feeling.   

The only reason I hadn't owned any of these before this thread was that I didn't know of their existence.  I've always had a pair of grannie panties that I hate that I wear on my heaviest day.   The period underwear I bought are nicer than those AND they might one day keep blood off my clothes.  

I just bought some and it came with an extra rectangle of fabric.  It was a bright blue, unlike the muted colors of the underwear.  I asked my husband what that was for?   He obviously didn't know.  But he did say that the fabric was the same stuff used in his athletic clothes.  Polyester and it wicks away moisture and it is slick feeling.   

I would guess from what you're describing that you're supposed to put it in the undies to wick moisture away from your skin. Some people use stuff like that inside cloth diapers.

I ordered a pair for DD15 to try. She has very regular periods (lucky girl!) but was asking about something to use on the day she is expecting her period. She finds tampons and pads uncomfortable before she starts so I am hoping this will be. A good First Day option for her.

I just ordered a pair for my DD15 to try (never heard about them before this thread).  I'm past the need for these myself, but boy, I wish they had these in my day!  So many mishaps.  I used to carry ziploc bags with spare panties in my purse.  I was pretty regular but I still had some surprises, and my DD is not as regular as me.

Now, I do wonder how these might do for the stress incontinence (leakage when coughing or sneezing) I have had ever since my pregnancies?  

• Like 1

Now, I do wonder how these might do for the stress incontinence (leakage when coughing or sneezing) I have had ever since my pregnancies?  

The ones I use are great for stress incontinence (modibodi), I have several friends who use them for that reason only.

I have 36 hips, 31 waist and wear a size 10. What the heck size do I get?

They told me to wear the smallest size that the chart matched me with. I was XXXL in the waist, but just L in the hips. The size L is actually slightly looser than I'd like.

I used to just wear my cup with a pad on my heavy days, but for my last two periods, I haven't been able to keep the cup in place. It keeps breaking suction and dropping down. On B-days at school, I have five hours straight with no break when I could go to the bathroom. It was horrible.

I can't wear my cup anymore which really irritates me. I've been using it for years. I even bought a new one and the exact same thing happened with it.

So I bought Thinx to try. Even doubled up, it isn't enough on it's own. I need to wear a cloth pad with the Thinx underwear. The only one I really like the feel of is the high-waisted one. I really don't like anything that sits below the navel and the other two styles I tried sit too low.  I like using the Thinx as backup for my pads. My pads are actually more absorbent than the Thinx are.

• Like 1

LOL. Friday marked my "officially in menopause" day. It has been a whole year since my last period.

My doctor said his wife took a friend out to lunch on hers!

Wouldn't you know... I've carefully tracked mine for years. Got a bit lazy and didn't track my last two..... last one I had was sometime in February. Unless I get surprised, I won't know for sure when "officially in menopause day" is...

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I just bought some and it came with an extra rectangle of fabric. It was a bright blue, unlike the muted colors of the underwear. I asked my husband what that was for? He obviously didn't know. But he did say that the fabric was the same stuff used in his athletic clothes. Polyester and it wicks away moisture and it is slick feeling.

What brand did you go with? I'm tempted to try the Asian ones available on EBay that are going to cost me about $4 each rather than $25+ each (Australian $). They're not especially attractive, but I can't say 'attractive' is a really high priority in the situations I'm wanting them for!

• Like 1

What kind do you like?

As far as cloth pads, my very favorite maker no longer makes them. That's not helpful, is it? Nor is the fact that I like different kinds for different days. I have both fleece-backed and non-fleece backed ones. I prefer flannel for the absorbent material (at least the top, outermost layer). 

Really, when I bought it, I bit the bullet and bought a bunch of brands/lengths/absorbencies, etc...Hearing recs from others was good, but for me at least, I just had to experiment to find my preferences. Pink Lemonade and PIMP tend to be 2 popular brands. That being said, I intensely disliked the one I tried from one of them. 

• Like 1

As far as cloth pads, my very favorite maker no longer makes them. That's not helpful, is it? Nor is the fact that I like different kinds for different days. I have both fleece-backed and non-fleece backed ones. I prefer flannel for the absorbent material (at least the top, outermost layer). 

Really, when I bought it, I bit the bullet and bought a bunch of brands/lengths/absorbencies, etc...Hearing recs from others was good, but for me at least, I just had to experiment to find my preferences. Pink Lemonade and PIMP tend to be 2 popular brands. That being said, I intensely disliked the one I tried from one of them. 

They aren't hard to make.  Fold microfiber cloth into an accordion shape about the right depth for you needs.   Make a tube that goes around this from a T-shirt of your husband's that needs to die.  At this point, you could sew the ends closed.   But, I made mine like stuff-able cloth diapers.  I sewed the microfiber along the folded edges so that it would keep its shape, and then left the ends of the covering tube open.  That way they are easy to thoroughly clean.  

If you want to get fancy, you can sew a wash cloth on so that two corners stick out like wings and then put snaps on the wings.