Menu

Is it worth it to retake the ACT?

This is kind of a misleading question, as I am definitely retaking it (I've only taken it once). My question is, to what extent will retaking it help?

I got a 31 but I hadn't studied many topics. I mostly reviewed timing strategies and took one practice test. 

This score is good enough to get into the colleges I like, but they are close to the average freshman score.

I do know that I can do better if I study the trickier topics, but I've got a lot to do and I don't know how much time I can spend studying for the test.

It would be worth it though, if I could get merit aid because of a higher score. My target score for the retake is 33.

Could an additional 2 points in an ACT score give me a greater advantage in obtaining scholarships and merit aid? 

Thank you, and I'm sorry if this post was jumbled. 

It depends on where she is applying. Highly selective schools it can make a difference in admission and scholarships. If she has a 31 and is applying to the big state ag school or a regional school that isn't selective, not necessarily. Usually if you look at "tests and scores" on college confidential for each school you can see their range. For merit scholarships though the admission's mantra is "top 25%", the reality is that usually it needs to be top 10% for that school if not top 5% because the pool of money isn't as generous as it used to be. So for example, Michigan State University - the average range is 24-48. So a 31 would be well above their average. However, honors college scholarships begin at a 33.

Some schools give a base amount per score range. Alma college gives $21,500 for a 32 with a 3.9 GPA. $19,500 for a 28-31 and 3.7 GPA.  So it can be worth it, but it can also be nerve wrecking to try to get it to bump. My ds had a 31 and just could not bump it even though he tried three times.

• Like 1

Like FaithManor said, it really depends on the schools you are looking at.  The school my son attends gives full tuition to out of state students with a score above 32, so it might be worth it.  You are a senior, correct?  Do you have some time to concentrate on studying before the December ACT?  If so, I think you might be able to raise it (my ds's score went from a 30 to a 32 to a 34).  The English score is the easiest to raise with some additional study.  I recommend taking as many tests as possible before your next test date (not full tests, but sections), and then going over EVERY answer to make you sure you know why you got the question right or wrong.  If you need to brush up on math skills, watch some Khan Academy videos.  The key to the science section is timing.  Many times you do not need to read all the information they give you in that section to answer the question correctly.  Good luck!  A 31 is a VERY GOOD score, so even if you do not raise it you can be proud of that score!!

Blessings!  

• Like 3

And check the deadlines too. For many of ds's schools, the December ACT was too late. All of the participants to the larger scholarship competitions had been decided before then so October would be the latest to get scores in by Thanksgiving. U of MI, if memory serves, was a Dec. 1st deadline for scholarship consideration and Alma College was around Dec. 15th that year.

Absolutely!

There are quite a few schools with competitive or even automatic merit aid for scores as high as yours.

Assuming you have good grades (3.5 GPA or higher), at University of Alabama, that 31 would earn you 2/3 off tuition for four years! One more point will get you FREE tuition for 4 years. 

http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out-of-state.php

Retake it, and do your very best!!

Good luck!