Menu

I need to sing the praises of this math program!!!!! Especially if your child is struggling.

Math Relief.

not widely known.  probably not widely used...but certainly should be.  

this program teaches Algebra 1 and 2, geometry and trig.  It uses DVD's.  And although not fancy or even remotely exciting...the teacher is VERY good.  He took my daughter from a F student to an A.  I was totally amazed!!!  But even more, whenever we ran into an issue, I would email the teacher and he would help us through the problems.  However, today he went even one more step further...email wasn't cutting it, so he had my daughter call him and they worked it through together.  

The program isn't the cheapest...nor the most expensive...but I say it is worth EVERY dime spent.   

I just wanted to say this in case it will help someone. 

• Like 9

we attempted 4 different programs and none of them worked until this one.  We tried Liel's Algebra, Algebra: A fresh Approach, College of the Redwoods Algebra and one other (the name escapes me right now).

The transition was seamless...and beautiful.  He starts very slow and is very methodical.  I would think if someone already completed algebra but didn't do as well as they wanted, you could reteach using this.  I would recommend emailing the writer...go to the Math Relief website and contact him from there.  He is so nice and wiling to help.

Good luck.  Any other questions, I would be so happy to try and help. 

I plan on using it next year!  Thanks so much! 

Now, to find something similar for high school science.......

I am using Friendly Chemistry this year for my Freshman and Sophomore kids.  LOVE IT too.  Very "friendly" (thus the name).  And at first, I thought it was too elementary and not rigorous enough for a HS program.  But, again, after talking with Joey, the author via email (many, I might add) I was assured it was as good as (and actually better because kid actually walk away fully understanding Chemistry) any other...so I bit the bullet.  Again, so far we LOVE it.  He is also in the process of launching a "Friendly Biology" which I will be using next year as well.  

The Chemistry program has DVD's (which are basically a video form of an audio book as he reads the text to the kids, but then he adds graphics and a bit more information from time to time).  There are activities that are best suited for a CO-OP and some can be used with a small group....but not as well.  In my opinion, some of those seem to be a bit elementary in style...but certainly bring home the concept.  He does have a version of his activities suited for one student..I sort of wish I would have purchased that instead of the other...but that it ok.  One of the things I do like is on the website is a whole file of you tube videos teaching you, how to do the activities and labs.  That has been helpful to me...gave me extra information to share with my kids.

Just like the math, the author welcomes communication and is very quick to respond.  He has never belittled me with my many questions, but just again and again reassured me of my ability to teach Chemistry to my high schoolers. 

Check it out.  If you have any questions about either the math or the science, please ask...and I will do my best to answer. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Never used this, but I'm so glad it's working for you. Whenever I read about Math Relief, I think of the last line of this post

The power of The Hive!  :lol:

Customer service at it's best.  LOVE it!!  

I am a HUGE customer service kind of gal...if a company has great CS, I will be the first one to pass on the name...

• Like 1

Math Relief.

not widely known. probably not widely used...but certainly should be.

this program teaches Algebra 1 and 2, geometry and trig. It uses DVD's. And although not fancy or even remotely exciting...the teacher is VERY good. He took my daughter from a F student to an A. I was totally amazed!!! But even more, whenever we ran into an issue, I would email the teacher and he would help us through the problems. However, today he went even one more step further...email wasn't cutting it, so he had my daughter call him and they worked it through together.

The program isn't the cheapest...nor the most expensive...but I say it is worth EVERY dime spent.

I just wanted to say this in case it will help someone.

Thank you for posting. This is the last year we can use CLE and I'm stressing over what to use next year. If we stay on track she will finish Algebra 1 around March and I have no idea which program I'm moving her into. I will look into this.