Menu

It's wheelbarrow not wheelbarrel.

Hyacinth

Eh, I (usually) don't mind when words change to make sense.  I can see a wheelbarrel making sense even if the original word is wheelbarrow.

I also tend to not mind grammar changes, esp when the change makes sense.

English is a weird language.

However, spelling can still cause me to pause - esp say, at church this morning when we're getting a sermon about judgment and the Bible spells out the word judgment in verses just as it should, but up on the screen where typed verses and notes appear for all to follow, again and again, someone "fixed" the Bible's misspelling and used judgement.  

How appropriate for the topic of the sermon, no?  I'm attempting to learn to be less judgmental.  ;)

• Like 10

However, spelling can still cause me to pause - esp say, at church this morning when we're getting a sermon about judgment and the Bible spells out the word judgment in verses just as it should, but up on the screen where typed verses and notes appear for all to follow, again and again, someone "fixed" the Bible's misspelling and used judgement.  

How appropriate for the topic of the sermon, no?  I'm attempting to learn to be less judgmental.   ;)

It has an 'e' in British English, so maybe that's the confusion.  Maybe someone has been reading a lot of British literature.

• Like 11

It has an 'e' in British English, so maybe that's the confusion.  Maybe someone has been reading a lot of British literature.

Yes, it is one of those words with differences worldwide, but when one is copying a verse from the Bible, one would think/expect the spelling in the book - esp The Book (as Christians tend to think of it) - ought to be correct for the area, not need fixing.   ;)

It's the setting that was ironic for me - coupled with the topic and my immediate thoughts (see above) about the whole thing.

It's caused me to be less judgmental when I see "adjustments" elsewhere.

ETA:  Adviser being switched to Advisor is one that used to get me too - esp since it's Tripadvisor (a web site) that many "blame" on the switch (correctly or incorrectly), but I'm learning to let go of that one too.

Edited by creekland

Nuclear not "Nuke-ular"!!!

Lose not Loose (as in, "Don't lose the keys")

A lot not Alot

Washroom not Warshroom

Horseradish not Horshradish

"I couldn't care less" not "I could care less"

It's "where is he?" NOT "Where's he at?"

*raises hand sheepishly*  I do this all the time.  Ending sentences with non-prepositions is a goal I ought to strive for... And I should never start my sentences with a conjunction, either. :laugh:

• Like 8

Could have, would have, should have.

Not could of, would of, should of.

I see you are in FL...assuming that doesn't mean Central farm country, lol. There it's might coulda and might shoulda.

I see you are in FL...assuming that doesn't mean Central farm country, lol. There it's might coulda and might shoulda.

Hmmm. I never heard either of those and have lived here 46 years. I first heard might could (not might coulda) when I lived in Georgia for a few years after college.

I'm in East Central Florida.

ETA: The use of of is more of a spelling issue I think (how many times can I use of in one sentence lol?). People probably hear the contraction could've and assume it's could of.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

A young lady called into a radio show I was listening to the other day and she kept describing herself as a millennium.  She said it at least 3 times.  Picture me yelling 'you're a millennial'...

It drives me batty when people pronounce words that start with es as ex instead:

expecially

excape

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 10

free reign

right of passage

diffuse the tension/situation

it didn't phase me

per say

... a lot of these, and some of the ones quoted above, *almost* make sense, so I can see how people get confused. I try not to get all worked up, b/c I know language evolves. But sometimes it's hard not to!

• Like 4

I bought it off of eBay

a young quarterback out of Dallas, Texas

You know what doesn't bother me? "I could care less." I think that's because it's obvious what is meant (as in nauseous/nauseated – everyone uses those "wrongly"), plus the "wrong" way is more emphatic and fun to actually say.

(I also don't mind split infinitives – and I am a professional copy editor :-) )

"I could CARE LESS!"

... whereas if you say it correctly, you have to put the stress on the word "couldn't" – "I COULDN'T care less" – which doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely

ETA: Of course I do say it correctly, and one can put the stress on the last word – "I couldn't care LESS" – which I guess is what I actually do. I never correct anyone who says it incorrectly, though ... unless they're in my own family, haha. There is a very funny video made by a Brit (sorry, I can't remember his name) claiming that the queen is annoyed by Americans saying this incorrectly.

Edited by Laura in CA

Grammar, articulation and spelling have never been my strong point. I hated writing in school plus it was not covered very well. I most likely have dysgraphia and my writing is just not a strong point. I ended up with kids with dyslexic tendencies who are poor spellers and not good about the kind of things mentioned here in speaking and writing but who are quite bright and creative. I have made some of these mistakes myself in writing and speaking. I notice things but do not let them bother me or think critically if the person making the mistake.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1

free reign

right of passage

diffuse the tension/situation

it didn't phase me

per say

... a lot of these, and some of the ones quoted above, *almost* make sense, so I can see how people get confused. I try not to get all worked up, b/c I know language evolves. But sometimes it's hard not to!

Okay, I am going to show my ignorance here but what should the first 4 be then? I know the last one.

It bugs me a little when people have the whole thing wrong, like wheelbarrel. The grammar stuff, like "where's he at" doesn't bug me unless it's a formal paper or something. To me, that's a language evolving thing whereas the other is just a mistake based on mishearing.

• Like 3

Grammar has never been my strong point. I hated writing in school plus it was not covered very well. I most likely have dysgraphia and my writing is just not a strong point. I ended up with kids with dyslexic tendencies who are poor spellers and not good about the kind of things mentioned here in speaking and writing but who are quite bright and creative. I have made some of these mistakes myself in writing and speaking. I notice things but do not let them bother me or think critically if the person making the mistake.

My dad is a horrible speller. But he's also one of the smartest people I know. He just needs my mom to edit his writing.

I think a problem with so many of these spellings and phrases is that, before the internet, you might see the mistakes occasionally in casual writing, but most of what we read in books and newspapers was edited to correct such mistakes. Now, we consume so much unedited writing that we don't have the correct frame of reference the majority of the time we read something. The incorrect versions get used more often as a result. At least that's my own little theory.

• Like 4

Hmmm. I never heard either of those and have lived here 46 years. I first heard might could (not might coulda) when I lived in Georgia for a few years after college.

I'm in East Central Florida.

ETA: The use of of is more of a spelling issue I think (how many times can I use of in one sentence lol?). People probably hear the contraction could've and assume it's could of.

Haha...I lived in a town east of Sarasota for ten years and heard it all the time. The accents in that town are very Southern. I never did get over giggling every time I heard someone say it. I am talking some very educated people. It always sounded so weird.

Free rein goes back to the horse-as-travel days.  When one gives a horse free rein it means the rider/driver stops directing the horse and lets the horse pick the way.  It's used often going up/down hills and through water (dangerous situations). Drunk riders/drivers also commonly used it to get home. Horses seem to instinctively know the best choices and riders were willing to trust their judgment.

Now that horses aren't used often, the meaning has been lost and some have mistaken it as a royalty deal spelling "rein" as "reign" instead.  Honestly?  Either way makes sense so I only get bugged by it since I love equines and like seeing them get credit.  ;)

• Like 6

Haha...I lived in a town east of Sarasota for ten years and heard it all the time. The accents in that town are very Southern. I never did get over giggling every time I heard someone say it. I am talking some very educated people. It always sounded so weird.

Ah. Then maybe it's a west coast Florida thing. :)