Menu

Great upbeat novels for stressed college students

Joules

I will probably post on the chat board, but I thought I'd start a more generic thread here.  Ds is a voracious reader and sometimes a story can raise one's mood.  He's looking for something right now.  

His comment via text:

I'm a little depressed about the immutability of my world right now, so I need a certain something to balance that out.

My response:

So a book where the protagonist changes the world in a big way!

He mostly reads fantasy, but any recommendations are welcome and might appeal to others, too.

• Like 1

If your son doesn't mind a female protagonist, Code Name: Verity is uplifting in a strange way. It certainly portrays young adults making mature, adult decisions and acting like decent people.

My DD and her friends cried, and DD forbid her sensitive sister from reading it. This book is very powerful emotionally, and I would not generally recommend it as a "cheer you up when feeling down" book.

• Like 1

I will probably post on the chat board, but I thought I'd start a more generic thread here.  Ds is a voracious reader and sometimes a story can raise one's mood.  He's looking for something right now.  

His comment via text:

My response:

He mostly reads fantasy, but any recommendations are welcome and might appeal to others, too.

Many people in that frame of mind like the kind of mysteries where things get sorted out in the end.  Depending on just what his mood is, he might go for very optimistic and light, like one of McCall-Smith's series, Agatha Christie, Fr Brown stories, or maybe Flavia DeLuce.  All of them are well written but don't get too far into the darker side of things and aren't gory.

Or if he wanted something a little more realistic and dark but where there is a sense of justice and order, he might try P.D James - I'd try something like The Private Patient or A Certain Justice.  She has a deeper exploration I think into the effects of evil but also they are very balanced with a sense of the good. 

Something else he might enjoy is The Rebel Angels by Robertson Davies - it's a story that takes place in a university setting so that is potentially interesting, and they are quite funny.  Davies was master of Massey College (as well as many other things) and the setting is similar, but thematically there is a lot about how we make our mark in the world and know ourselves.  There are two other novels in the series that are also worthwhile though more about art and music, respectively, than the university life. 

His comment via text:

My response:

It isn't world changing (except for one boy, and from him one family)

But it is an easy read. It is true. And it is inspiring

I will always write back: How one Letter changed Two Lives by Martin Ganda

https://smile.amazon.com/Will-Always-Write-Back-Changed-ebook/dp/B00MEMMU0A/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1475248628&sr=1-1&keywords=how+one+letter+changed+two+lives

I think Boys in the Boat is very uplifting and positive. This non-fiction reads like a novel, and though the protagonists don't change the world we see them rising above their circumstances. (P.S. it takes place while they are in college) I would think biographies or memoirs of real people making small differences (like the man throwing starfish back into the sea), would be uplifting as well.

• Like 2

Anything by Terry Pratchett.  I'd start with Going Postal. He tends to have a true but humorous take on human nature and sometimes laughter helps one to gain perspective. And they end well. The books by this author would fall into the Fantasy category.

• Like 2

non-fiction

I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives -- fast/light read, but definitely positive change

I Am Malala (Yousafzai) -- despite being shot, she still believes in and works for transforming her culture through education for girls

sci-fi

To Say Nothing of the Dog (Willis) -- humorous, time-travel that makes a positive change to the world

Anathem (Stephenson) -- sci-fi/adventure; ends up as positive change

light/fun/humorous

The Mouse That Roared (Wibberly)

Bromeliad trilogy: Truckers, Diggers, Wings (Pratchet)

some past threads:

Looking for upbeat literature selections

High literature which is encouraging

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Last week, my son asked for some ideas of books to read, too! I was very surprised---didn't expect that at all. My husband suggested some Wendell Berry books to him at the time, but I know dh is trying to put a list together for him. 

:bigear:

Please share if your dh finishes his list.

I think he has already read all of Pratchett's books, many of them twice.  He is my favorite author, so they began as early read-alouds in our home.  One of his college application essays was actually about the first Tiffany Aching book.

So, so sad that there won't be more of them  :crying: