Menu

Worried about adult daughter.

Only me

Is there someone who has an adult daughter (early 20's) who would be willing to PM me to discuss this? I would post it but I'm always worried about posting personal information. I wouldn't want her to find this. I'm having a lot of anxiety about this and really have no one to talk to.

Thanks. It's so hard. I won't say too much but I had no idea being a mother to an adult would be so difficult. I am so proud of her and she is a great daughter but she is making some decisions lately that I think are dangerous. Of course I can't tell her what to do. I can only offer my opinion but even that is a fine line since she thinks I'm judging her. This is keeping me up at night. Quite honesty I don't know if what she is doing is normal for her age but even her younger sister (21) is quite worried about her.

My DD is closing in on sixteen, but I can pass along some advice that I received regarding a nephew in his early twenties. Like you, I felt this was a great young man, but was very concerned about some of his choices. I asked my son's babysitter (a college senior) how she thought I should approach him. She told me to tell him how I felt ONE time, with love and without judgment, and not to raise the subject again.

I joke that my 21dd needs way more attention and takes more energy than my one year old. Except it's not really a joke.

I know it's really, really hard sometimes. I'm just glad your dd has a loving family.

:grouphug:

yeah. . . . there were days I wanted to yell at her "you're an adult!  you're done with college!   I have an aspie who won't let me sleep to take care of!"  she's finally ok.  (part of it was medical, and has finally been successfully treated.) 

OP - my girls are both fully independent and established adults, have careers and own their own homes.  (yeehaw).  and two boys in college.  getting them there can be just as challenging as when they're tiny.

Edited by gardenmom5