Menu

Indiana Unversity Online High School?

Any experience with IUOHS? I noticed they use Tarbak for earth science and Hewitt for IPC, so someone who knows what there doing may be there, somewhere. ;)

I'm looking specifically at their geometry for next year: https://iuhighschool.iu.edu/courses/highschool/courses/9886

The course description says they teach some proofs, the exams are open-ended questions, and students need to show their work. The price is around $200/ semester. It's completely self paced (but only six months to finish a semester). I think this is exactly what we need, but I'd love to here of anyone who has used them.

I'm also looking at their French b/c they go through French 3 and then the university has online French,

Any experience? The cost is sure good, and dc prefers self-paced over live classes usually.

Thanks!

• Like 2

I seem to remember someone posting about IUHS on WTM.  I suggest that you Search on WTM to see if you can find any comments here. Also, Google, and restrict your Google Search to the WTM web site. It is *CRITICAL* IMO that in Math courses, students are required to show their work to their Instructor.  My DD has been in TTUISD starting with 6th grade and that has always been required in her Math courses.  GL

• Like 1

Hello: I clicked on the link you posted and if I added correctly, the total of these is $249.35

Estimated costs:

Tuition $157.35
Service $35.00
Technology $30.00
Access $27.00
Deposit $0.00
````````````````````````
Total $249.35

For TTUISD High School courses, the current rate is USD$190 per semester.  Until now, their "Online" courses used traditional textbooks. DD began their Geometry course a month or two ago, before they switched their Math courses, to new courses, using eBooks.  The Geometry course now on their web site uses an eBook which as I recall is $15.60 for a one year license. They permit up to 6 months for a course to be completed.

Hello: I clicked on the link you posted and if I added correctly, the total of these is $249.35

Estimated costs:

Tuition $157.35
Service $35.00
Technology $30.00
Access $27.00
Deposit $0.00
````````````````````````
Total $249.35

For TTUISD High School courses, the current rate is USD$190 per semester.  Until now, their "Online" courses used traditional textbooks. DD began their Geometry course a month or two ago, before they switched their Math courses, to new courses, using eBooks.  The Geometry course now on their web site uses an eBook which as I recall is $15.60 for a one year license. They permit up to 6 months for a course to be completed.

I was sort of eyeballing it... but you are right. No textbook for that particular IU course. Are there any prereqs for the TTUISD course? My dd is doing Algebra at home this year, and is on the young side. How has you dd liked the course?

• Like 2

I was sort of eyeballing it... but you are right. No textbook for that particular IU course. Are there any prereqs for the TTUISD course? My dd is doing Algebra at home this year, and is on the young side. How has you dd liked the course?

This is the URL for the brand new TTUISD Geometry course:

https://enroll.ttuisd.ttu.edu/catalog/CourseListing.asp?master_id=2885&master_version=1&course_area=HIGH&course_number=GEOM%201A&course_subtitle=2

I believe it has been available for approximately 2 or 3 weeks.  My DD is using the previous course, which uses a traditional textbook.  

Note:: I did not see Prerequisites listed (I looked quickly) however I assume that a solid knowledge of  Algebra 1 is a .Prerequisite. 

Thanks, Lanny

"Solid knowledge" would not be a problem. Now if they wanted student to have had their Algebra 1 course, that would be a hang up. I'm not a fan of digital textbooks. I've used them for college classes before. It does look like students can supplement with the print version, though.

• Like 1

Do you know what the cost would be to take the French beyond high school French 3?

Not sure... Their dual credit program appears to be on campus only (and reads like it isn't homeschool friendly?): https://open.indiana.edu/enrollment-process/applying.html, but the language page sounds more like you take the placement test and register. Under the second scenario, I would assume they would cost about what a regular undergraduate class will cost for in-state vs. out of state, which would be crazy expensive for out-of-state for a high school class: https://bursar.indiana.edu/tuition-fees/fees-semester.html

At this point, I think we personally need to get "on the train" with math and language somewhere.

I just had a full-time job opportunity come up that I really need to take if at all possible. I wish there was something between "pure secular-straight from-the-textbook-just-like-a-nice-public-school" and online programs that are "Christ-centered". We're kind of in between, and I'm sure others are as well.

Any other French options anyone can recommend? We have zero options locally.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Not sure... Their dual credit program appears to be on campus only (and reads like it isn't homeschool friendly?): https://open.indiana.edu/enrollment-process/applying.html, but the language page sounds more like you take the placement test and register. Under the second scenario, I would assume they would cost about what a regular undergraduate class will cost for in-state vs. out of state, which would be crazy expensive for out-of-state for a high school class: https://bursar.indiana.edu/tuition-fees/fees-semester.html

At this point, I think we personally need to get "on the train" with math and language somewhere.

I just had a full-time job opportunity come up that I really need to take if at all possible. I wish there was something between "pure secular-straight from-the-textbook-just-like-a-nice-public-school" and online programs that are "Christ-centered". We're kind of in between, and I'm sure others are as well.

Any other French options anyone can recommend? We have zero options locally.

Thanks!

For a moment it sounded too good to be true.

We are in the same boat with French and have yet to find secular options. I am told BYU is worth looking at, but can't figure out if those classes have a live component (I think that's a must for a language class) or what they cost. French 1 and 2 you can probably use CLRC Online for French, but beyond that I come empty handed. We need French 3 and up in a secular version as well.

Edited by Roadrunner

For a moment it sounded too good to be true.

We are in the same boat with French and have yet to find secular options. I am told BYU is worth looking at, but can't figure out if those classes have a live component (I think that's a must for a language class) or what they cost. French 1 and 2 you can probably use CLRC Online for French, but beyond that I come empty handed. We need French 3 and up in a secular version as well.

Well, after the second (or third) year of high school language, most students can test into a college French course. Maybe check to see if your state Uni has an online option like IU's? Even at undergraduate costs, if you consider a semester equals a year of high school classes, it's not so painful. Many of the private online providers are charging around $600- $1000 per year for a class.

Keystone goes through French 4

Nebraska does too.

There may be others... I spot checked from this list: http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/top/online-high-schools/

• Like 1

Do you know what the cost would be to take the French beyond high school French 3?

Depending on your need for live instructors (and transferable credits), MIT opencourses could be an option for after French 3. Not so much a speaking component, though.

We won't really need the transferable credits (I don't think dd will be a liberal arts major), so I would consider doing this with an AP and/or SAT II test prep book. It looks like there are a couple of literature course taught entirely in French (not sure about adult content, though.)

• Like 1

Thanks, Lanny

"Solid knowledge" would not be a problem. Now if they wanted student to have had their Algebra 1 course, that would be a hang up. I'm not a fan of digital textbooks. I've used them for college classes before. It does look like students can supplement with the print version, though.

You're welcome.  Solid knowledge of Algebra 1 is critical for students to be successful with Math courses that are taken as they progress in school.  I do not believe it would be a requirement that your DD had taken Algebra 1 in TTUISD, unless she was Enrolled in the High School (Algebra 1 is one of 5 courses that require an EOC in Texas).  I believe if you want to have your DD take 1 or 2 courses from TTUISD she would not need to Enroll, she would take the courses as a Supplemental student.  BTW, their courses require the Final Exam be passed and be given under the supervision of an Approved Proctor.

I am with you on the eBooks.  There is something about holding a book in one's hands. Also, I think it is good to get the students away from the computer display.  However, we are overseas, so I believe the "Pros" for us are stronger than the "Cons". For us, I think it will be mostly positive. We will find out when DD starts Algebra 2, if not before with a non Math course.

• Like 2

This is the URL for the brand new TTUISD Geometry course:

https://enroll.ttuisd.ttu.edu/catalog/CourseListing.asp?master_id=2885&master_version=1&course_area=HIGH&course_number=GEOM%201A&course_subtitle=2

I believe it has been available for approximately 2 or 3 weeks.  My DD is using the previous course, which uses a traditional textbook.  

Note:: I did not see Prerequisites listed (I looked quickly) however I assume that a solid knowledge of  Algebra 1 is a .Prerequisite. 

"

Required textbook (Sold separately):

The required digital textbook for this course is:

Larson, Ron & Laurie Boswell. (2016). Big Ideas Math, Geometry. Erie, PA: Big Ideas Learning, LLC. ISBN 978-1-68033-245-2

"

That is a traditional textbook which is available in both digital or hard-copy format.

Big Ideas Math company was started by Larson and I believe their text books try be Common Core compliant.

I get a little nervous when a HS level course has no textbook just the online notes. Which usually cover material in less depth and detail.

For example some of the BYU math courses use a textbook some do not.

• Like 2

"

Larson, Ron & Laurie Boswell. (2016). Big Ideas Math, Geometry. Erie, PA: Big Ideas Learning, LLC. ISBN 978-1-68033-245-2

"

That is a traditional textbook which is available in both digital or hard-copy format.

Big Ideas Math company was started by Larson and I believe their text books try be Common Core compliant.

I get a little nervous when a HS level course has no textbook just the online notes. Which usually cover material in less depth and detail.

IU's Geometry doesn't, either, although I like their syllabus better as it seems as if they teach and grade proofs. BYU leads me to believe it is all multiple choice.

The Larson book appears to be Texas specific (I think they may be "bigger" than Common Core?) The book can be viewed here. I'd be curious of your thoughts on the content. I have Larons's McDougal Littlel book on my shelf, and there are some differences.

• Like 1

"

"

This is the URL for the bookstore that carries the things required for TTUISD courses. This is for the Brand New Geometry course:

http://bookstore.mbsdirect.net/vb_buy2.php?ACTION=chooseAdoptions&CSID=AKJSJKSKQ3D2CQUDTCQCMUSOB&VCHI=1

The difference in price between the hard cover book and the eBook is rather astonishing. Quite possibly one can find the Hard Cover traditional textbook for less, on Amazon or somewhere, but since this is a Brand New textbook, there is less supply than there would be for a book that has been available for years.

I tend to agree with the thought that the eBook may not be as complete as the hard cover textbook.   That may or may not be the case. However, the eBook has the advantage of them being able to Update it, if they should discover an error or omission.  Additionally, with an eBook, there is no charge for Shipping and no delay. Iti s like getting a Kindle Book from Amazon.  Instant gratification...

We are overseas so for us this is mostly a "plus".   As I wrote upthread, there is something nice about holding a book in your hands and reading it, and, it is a plus to get away from the computer screen.

One of the drawbacks I see to the eBooks is that I think it is nice, beginning with Algebra 1, to collect the Math textbooks one uses.  With an eBook, one can't refer to it after one year, unless one pays for another year of access.

IU's Geometry doesn't, either, although I like their syllabus better as it seems as if they teach and grade proofs. BYU leads me to believe it is all multiple choice.

The Larson book appears to be Texas specific (I think they may be "bigger" than Common Core?) The book can be viewed here. I'd be curious of your thoughts on the content. I have Larons's McDougal Littlel book on my shelf, and there are some differences.

If BYU or any other school uses Multiple Choice, IMO that course should be eliminated from consideration.  Students need to show their work to their Instructor and. If they are doing something wrong, hopefully the Instructor will catch it. I clicked on your link about the new textbook TTUISD is using.  I think the extra stuff has to do with things used in Texas Public Schools, TEKS, etc. If you are not in TX, that will not be of interest to you, but for students  preparing for an exam in TX, it is something extra to help them.  TX isn't a Common Core state, but they do have standards.  Previously, and currently, DD has been using a Prentice Hall series of textbooks for Math courses.  I was surprised when I saw that they have these new Math courses available now and that they are using eBooks.  I knew they were developing new courses that use eBooks, but didn't know when they would become available.  This will be interesting for us and probably our first experience with it will be when DD begins Algebra 2.  .