Menu

Help-can't get whipping cream smell out of towels and laundry

MamaBearTeacher

I had a pile of dirty towels which I washed with socks and underwear and a few other items. Unbeknownst to me, my husband had used one of the towels to mop up a carton of cream that had spilled. when I took the clothes out they smelled like vomit or salad dressing but later DH told me about the cream and now I think it smells like cream, but it is a horrible smell and I can't stand being in the same room as the towels it is so strong. All the towels that were with the offending towels smell bad now. I cannot throw them because many are the beach towels we use for swimming and there are no more beach towels in the store and I like them. They have been washed and dried twice and have not gotten better. I use natural lavender detergent but the second time I doused them in half a large container of vinegar and added a lot of essential oils and that did not help. Is there something that will get the smell out ( preferably a natural solution)?

Try baking soda. And extra rinsing. Soap could be caught in the fibers keeping the smell in.

This. If you have a top loader (or a clean trash can if no top loader) I would fill with water and then shut it off. Soak the towels in the water with baking soda. If you already have OdoBan even better- use that instead of baking soda. I would let them soak a couple of hours of even overnight. Then run through a cycle with no soap completely. Then wash again with your normal detergent. Don't dry in between. If that doesn't do it, I'm not sure if anything will.

I wouldn't put them in the dryer or in the sun again until you feel certain you've done everything you can to get rid of the smell.I think any heat is just going to make it worse.

I use PineSol for stinky teenage boy exercise odor (added in to the wash cycle with regular detergent). It's a miracle.

For something like a spoiled milk smell I agree that Biz may be good to try. Or a good enzymatic pet urine/odor/stain remover like Nature's Miracle. For something like that you'd want to saturate the towels and leave them alone for 24-48 hours. Keep them damp with the solution during that time because the enzymes need time to do their work.

Borax is going to do you better than baking soda in this case.

I'd soak it all in a HEAVY borax solution over night.

But I agree that a bunch of oxyclean or some bleach, or ammonia will almost certainly take care of it too.

I would definitely stop heating it up, and not ADD smells (EO, lysol, anything with scent). Vomit smell plus tea tree or tide "fragrance" is still vomit smell, ykwim?

Edited by OKBud

My washing machine has a "soak" option - if yours does too, use a few scoops of oxiclean, a couple of scoops of borax and your regular laundry detergent and soak the towels in warm water for 24 hours - this could mean that you cannot use your machine until this load is done. The enzymes in the oxiclean will work on the towels and get rid of the smell. The key is to soak the towels for a longer period of time, preferably 24+ hours.