Menu

How hard is the aggie high school to get into where you live?

poppy

A vocational high school focusing on animal  or  planet sciences... I guess they are less common than I thought?

You must live rural because I've never heard of such a thing. The voc-tech high schools I'm familiar with offer training in things like auto mechanics, plumbing & other construction trades, culinary arts, hairdresser, early childhood educator, graphic design/multimedia, and sometimes LPN/allied health, lab technician, or engineering technician.

They usually aren't too hard to get into.

• Like 3

Title says it all.  We have very hard to get into school here and I'm wondering if that's typical,.

What do you mean by hard to get into?

Really high academic standards and rigorous prerequisites?

or 

Really popular, so there is a waiting list and/or a lottery?

or something else?

Maryanne

• Like 2

We had an ag campus at my high school. That's where shop, auto, and ag related classes were held. It was generally for the....less academically inclined. The students tended to take remedial English and math courses on the regular campus but spent most of their hours over there.

In our current town we have a vocational high school. I believe it is an alternative for the same type of student. Not academic, but skills related. The local shipyard recruits kids from there, I've read.

• Like 1

You must live rural because I've never heard of such a thing. The voc-tech high schools I'm familiar with offer training in things like auto mechanics, plumbing & other construction trades, culinary arts, hairdresser, early childhood educator, graphic design/multimedia, and sometimes LPN/allied health, lab technician, or engineering technician.

They usually aren't too hard to get into.

Nope not rural! Boston .

The two aggie schools near me (Norfolk and Bristol counties) take students with good grades who have demonstrated many years of volunteering for or studying their subject matter .

Guess it is a regional quirk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had an ag campus at my high school.  It was rigorous, but centered on preparing the children in my community to be the next dairy and land farmers.  I took 3 years of classes on that side of the school before switching over since my career aspirations were different.  I loved the learning farm our school had.

My son's school has a set of ag classes.  No farm.  No equipment. No FFA. No lab area. It's a joke compared to what ours was.

Both were pretty easy to get into, though.  You just had to be willing to get dirty.

We don't have vo-tech high schools. We have different academies inside each standard high school. Each high school has several academies. Our county has seven high schools; one has the Academy of Animal Sciences & Services and another has the Academy of Agriscience. Students have to apply, but they aren't that hard to get into.

Its via the county wide BOCES here. Individual districts can choose to participate in the program or not. The ag component here is greenhouse tech. There is an FFA chapter. Difficulty- there are x number of seats. To be selected, one must be in good academic standing, on grade level or better, and not have any disciplinary issues. If more people apply than seats, there is a selection process the district goes thru. So, difficulty varies by year according to budget constraints.

Nope not rural! Boston .

The two aggie schools near me (Norfolk and Bristol counties) take students with good grades who have demonstrated many years of volunteering for or studying their subject matter .

Guess it is a regional quirk.

I grew up in MA as well but Minutemen Tech in Lexington, Assabet Tech in Marlborough, and Nashoba Valley Tech in Westford were the ones I'm most familiar with. Definitely no ag programs at any of those.

Edited by Crimson Wife

I grew up in MA as well but Minutemen Tech in Lexington, Assabet Tech in Marlborough, and Nashoba Valley Tech in Westford were the ones I'm most familiar with. Definitely no ag programs at any of those.

Norfolk Aggie is in Walpole.  Bristol Aggie is in Dighton.

Never heard of that. either and I've lived near metro, small town and rural areas. Currently living in one of the top agricultural counties in the nation. All ag classes are folded into the regular high school curriculum around here, as are other vo-tech courses. FFA chapters are at individual schools. There's a cooperative vo-tech center area schools all feed into, but it's more like an afternoon work program and often draws students that aren't strong academically. 

Edited by Pippen