Menu

Education Sec. Says Homeschoolers Would Be Better Off in Public Schools: 'Not Getting Rapid Instructional Experience'

HomeMum

Not only that, but there are also many more safety nets in place to catch other types of neglect and abuse.

While many of us individually are doing way better than our local public school options, and while even mediocre or poor homeschool instruction in a loving, education-supporting home is miles better than many individual public school options, no one can convince me that for kids where there's actual abuse or where parents are actively trying to prevent education or contact with the outside world that they wouldn't be better off in even a poor public school.

This.

If for no other reason than the opportunity to realize whatever is happening in the home isn't normal, legal or healthy.

• Like 4

It's something I missed in public school too.

Teacher: Question

Students: *crickets*

I've been the teacher in that scenario. It's disheartening but as the teacher my next step was to figure out why there are crickets. Did I not teach it well enough and they don't know the answers? Did I not motivate them enough to care about discussion even though they might know the answers? Unfortunately not all teachers will dig into the reasons for crickets and try to fix them. Many though if not most do, IME.

I am not against oversight for homeschoolers. I would not be okay with yearly testing UNLESS the measure of progress was comparing the students' scores to their scores from previous years. (Which is consequently what I think should happen with the testing of students in the schools as well.)

In our state the yearly evaluation only has to show that the student made "progress commensurate with his abilities". While testing is an option, it's not the only way to evaluate, and it's not required. I'm also not against oversight as long as testing isn't required/the only option.

• Like 2

They can ask.  I just send it.  That part of the regs is rather fuzzy.  Some districts don't let parents administer the test themselves. 

My district doesn't respond to my paperwork anymore.  None of it.  Which ok great they leave me alone, but not great because I basically have no proof I'm in compliance.

Well, yes, they *can* ask. But when a district consistently doesn't, it's not really any different than whatever someone else said upthread about her state. NYS regs are a lot of bark and rather little bite, in a lot of places, at least.

My district hasn't really sent me anything acknowledging my paperwork either - but I've got copies they stamped 'received' (I hand them in in person, one copy for them, one for them to stamp and for me to keep), so I figure "not my problem".

If for no other reason than the opportunity to realize whatever is happening in the home isn't normal, legal or healthy.

Knowing and deciding to ask for help based on that knowledge are completely different things. I'm sure most abuse victims know full well that a parent/sibling beating them or engaging in s*xual contact with them is not OK regardless of classroom-based schooling vs. home schooling.The difficulty is overcoming the shame and fear to report the abuse. Having teachers be mandated reporters is all well and good but except in the rare cases where they happen to witness the abuse, the onus is on the victim to confide in the teacher. My classmate kept silent about her stepfather's molesting her and the teachers had no clue it was going on).

• 3 weeks later...