Menu

Did I miss a Charlotte NC thread or have we gotten numb?

TechWife

The cops knew he was mentally ill — that was the sole reason they were called. He was not being aggressive or threatening anyone. He needed psychiatric help.

The dispatcher clearly stated that it was a "5150" call, asking for psychiatric help.

They did not request assistance from the Psychiatric Emergency Response Team, as they should have.

They chose to deal very aggressively with a man they knew was mentally ill, by drawing their weapons and pointing them at him.

They justified this by saying that he was "acting erratically" and "not complying with instructions." DUH! That's exactly the reason his sister asked for psychiatric help!

Police repeatedly shouted at him to take his hands out of his pockets. When he did take his hands out of his pockets he was holding an object which was not a weapon of any kind.

One cop deployed his taser but the other shot and killed him without even waiting to see what the object was or if the taser would have been effective.

They made no effort to deescalate the situation.

They made no effort to bring in someone from PERT who would have known how to handle the situation.

They made no effort to determine if he was actually armed or was a threat to anyone.

When someone calls 911 to request psychiatric help for a nonviolent, unarmed, mentally ill person, there is NO reason why that person should end up dead. 

Crazy, just crazy.  I side not with the police nor with the one who was shot, I have been known to argue either side depending on the case.  Terrence Crutcher, I just feel he shouldn't have been shot.  This situation you mention, seriously why did they shoot?  Keith Scott? I believe he was imminent danger with a weapon in his hand and while I don't believe he deserved to be shot (no one "deserves" to be shot, right?), his actions left the officers in a difficult predicament and they felt threatened, therefore they had the right to shoot.  Just my two cents.

Edited by Attolia